“What a Wonderful Hotel - Fabulous!”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #31 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Houston, Texas
“What a Wonderful Hotel - Fabulous!”
Reviewed November 30, 2005

We went to PV for a week on our honeymoon at the end of September. It was so HOT and HUMID, but it was also off-season so there were not a lot of tourists. The day we arrived at the Westin we were the only people to check into the hotel that day!

We LOVED the Westin - it is such a beautiful hotel with modern Mexican architecture, the staff is so wonderful and accommodating, and the tiled pools are fabulous! The rooms are very spacious and clean, and have much-needed A/C and a ceiling fan. We had an ocean view room on the 9th floor with two oversized closets, a king-size heavenly bed, a large bathroom with separate shower and tub, and a beautiful ocean and city view from our balcony. The grounds are extremely clean, gorgeous, and well maintained, and we loved the multiple pools and swim up bars.

We ate at the hotel a few times, and although the food at the hotel was more expensive than most places in town (which is where the best restaurants are located), it wasn't outrageous and definitely worth it when we were too lazy to leave the hotel. Frozen tropical drinks at the pool or pool bar run about $7-$8 each. El Tlaquepaque, the casual dining restaurant next to the pools, has great food and was perfect for lunch - with drinks + tip, lunch was about $50-$60 for two. We had dinner at El Palmar Restaurant, which also had great food and was relaxing and quite reasonable for dinner as well.

Our week at the Westin was wonderful and so relaxing. We could be as active or as lazy as we wanted - the hotel has something for everyone. This was my second stay at the Westin in PV and it continues to pleasantly exceed my expectations!

• Stayed September 2005
49 Thank TheRealMC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Greek first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed November 29, 2005

I just returned from five nights over Thanksgiving; this is my 3rd trip to PV and my 2nd at the Westin Regina. My advice? Ignore the few negative reviews posted here and treat yourself to a fabulous resort vacation!

Accomodations: Cool and comfortable rooms with lovely balconies and enormous marble bathrooms. The Westin Heavenly Bed...need I say more? Neutrogena bath products.

Grounds: The lagoon-like pool system can't be beat. Gorgeous and generously populated with teak chaise lounges topped by thick white cushions--a chic and comfy way to spend the day. No, you won't get a pool-side soft drink delivered to you for the same price you'd get one out of the machine at Costco...but you will get it delivered at your leisure by a courteous and friendly server who will check back often. Get real, people--it's a vacation! Pay $4 and tip $1...it's a Coke served in Paradise, for pity's sake! Also the guy who couldn't find shade at the pool was...well, he must have been staying somewhere else! The pool system is ringed with many palm trees and larger shade trees--in fact the lagoon pools actually have palm trees planted on little "islands" in the middle of them! We loved the fact that we could find several chaises side by side that met our group's needs for full-sun, dappled sun and full shade!

Dining: Yes, it's pricy at the resort, but again...you're at a resort! Either budget for it or take advantage of PV's dozens and dozens of fabulous restaurants: Cafe de Olla, Daquiri Dick's, The Blue Shrimp, The River Cafe, Oscar's, just to name a few. Feeling spendy but don't want to stay at the hotel? Try the lovely and sophisticated Cafe des Artistes. And don't forget cocktails at The Kit Kat Club and Bar Garbo. Or for an afternoon of casual (and cheap!) beer-drinking with the locals, go to El Barril and sit at one of the tables nestled into the Juliette balconies.

Time Shares: A word of advice--don't accept the "free gift" or "welcome gift" from anybody, anywhere. In town, stay off the Malecon which is just full of touristy stuff anyway, and explore across the River in the "Zona Romantica" which has the best dining and shops anyway.

34 Thank Velvalee
Reviewed November 24, 2005

As a platinum Starwood member, I used award points for my wife and I as well as another couple to stay at the Westin PV for a fun vacation this month. The resort is outstanding, in an upscale area of PV, staff are very friendly, and the food at Nikki's Beach restaurant was wonderful. The room was beautiful, ocean-front with a jacuzzi tub, with views of the cruise ships coming and going, as well as some magnificent sunsets. The gym and spa were also excellent, and the pool area was great for relaxing. One of the finest hotels in PV!!

Stayed November 2005
43 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed November 23, 2005

We stayed at the Westin Puerto Vallarta the first weekend of November, 2005. The hotel hosts a "Nikki Beach" restaurant which that weekend was hosting a Maxim Magazine awards show. The band started practicing about 8:30 am Friday morning and the noise became deafening (continuing until 2 or 3 am every night). The hotel employees said they had no control over Nikki Beach, even though it was part of the hotel. In the end, they awarded us a lot of Starwood points after we complained extensively ... But it was completely unacceptable for them not to warn guests in advance about the awards show.

In general, this resort was below the Westin standard in terms of everything from the quality of construction to the room amenities and pool. But the food was pretty good.

6 Thank carpinkly
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed November 22, 2005

I travel moderately (4-5 times a year for business and pleasure) and my family & I take an annual trip to Mexico around Thanksgiving. My usual favorite, Cancun, was of course badly damaged by Wilma, forcing a last minute changeover. I chose Puerto Vallarta (my first trip there) based on its relative inexpensiveness compared to Cancun. My spectacular hotel room at the Westin was only $159 a night compared to $300 I spent a year ago at the Hilton in Cancun for a lesser room. My experience at the Westin was top notch, from the helpful greeter who met our taxi and guided us to the front desk, to the almost too-informative front desk person, bellboy and beach people. Obviously everyone wants a tip, but I'm more than happy to tip when value is given, and I got a lot of value at the Westin. The rooms are spacious with VERY comfortable beds (the Westin trademarked "Heavenly" beds). The double-head "Heavenly" shower is like being under a waterfall. Everything was elegant and top of the line, I couldn't believe the price for so much luxury and convenience. Big tip - get a room on the high floors - you get a de facto spectacular view of the bay, pool area, mountains, city and ocean all at once. The pool area is dazzling with several (I think four) pools, a pool bar, and a beach bar. I rented one of the private beach tents for a day, which comes with comfortable padded chairs, complimentary towels and water and beverage service all with literally water-front views to enjoy a book or catch a tan. The spa is also wonderful. High-speed, wireless internet everywhere - including at the beach! The location is in the high-end luxury resort area, Marina Vallarta, only about 6 minutes from the airport and 15 minutes from the downtown area of shopping (a $6 taxi ride). I can't say enough about how great this hotel experience was. There is a bit of daytime noise while they renovate a bar, nothing at night, so I didn't care. Good luck!

21 Thank VegasRebelFan
Reviewed November 19, 2005

I had a great time at the Westin. It is an older hotel in PV but well maintained. It is in the Marina complex -- a bit out of the way but taxis are plentiful and inexpensive. I had the good fortune of being upgraded to Grand Deluxe Room which had a jacuzzi on the balcony and a stunning view of the Bay. The pools are great. And Nikki Beach Club is jumping. Yes the music pretty much does start at noon and goes until 3 am, but you are on vacation, there is plenty of time to sleep when you are dead. :-) Small caveat -- the "free t-shirt" that the adjoining timeshare Club Regina is offering at their information desk is a ploy so that they can lure you into one of their sales presentation. Just don't go and get it and don't answer calls from the information desk and you will be fine.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 14, 2005

If you're looking for a pretentious, sprawling, over- charging resort, look no further. Everything was overpriced, including the "maid fee". The resort doesn't even provide free palapas on the beach as most do, although you can rent fancy ones for $60/day, yes that's dollars! We have stayed at many resorts in Mexico and I would have to say I felt this was the most over-priced I have seen. We won't be staying at a Westin again.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Arcos Suites
Los Arcos Suites
#26 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#29 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa del Palmar Flamingos
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallar...
#8 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & ...
#27 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!