“Loved the Westin”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #31 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“Loved the Westin”
Reviewed September 1, 2005

I loved the Westin and would definetely go to another Westin. Our room was huge and definetely worth the value. Had a great ocean view and great bed.

The room A/C couldn't keep up with the heat but it was still cool. The food at the restaurants was good compared to what's available elsewhere.

The activities at the beach were well priced and a good value.

Had a great time and the hotel was very nice with nice helpful, staff.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Greek first
Reviewed August 22, 2005

My husband and I stayed here at the end of our 1yr. anniversary vacation. We'd stayed a few days at Hacienda San Angel then to El Tamarindo and back up to the Westin. We choose the Westin because it had modern conveniences, was near the airport, and thought the Westin name meant a certain type of quality. This was not the case. Please note we are school teachers who are used to staying at all kinds of places from Motel 6's to 4 star resorts. This was like an overpriced stay at a really big Super 8.

Overall it wasnt a terrible stay and I would possibly consider staying at other Westins in the future but I dont think I would return here. The room was clean but it just felt like everything was old. Like a used car. The bed comforter has large stains (like ink marks) in several places, obvious wear and tear on the furniture, the lampshade was completely busted and torn, and brass plates behind the doorknobs (dont know what they are called) were loose and dangling from the doorknob. The walls were also paper thin and we had to listen to our neighbor opening and closing dresser drawers and moving things around. Also for the majority of our stay there was a large infants crib overflowing with visually soiled linnens/towels that was left right next to our door in the hallway. On the other side of our door was an old queen sized mattress leaning against the wall. It was very tacky. I thought when we booked a grand deluxe room, we would be getting quality but did not.

The facilites such as the lobby, pool, etc. looked nice but we were so discouraged with the whole place that we tried to get out as much as possible away from the resort. The place was also overflowing with large families with loud kids. I would not recommend this place for anyone looking for a quite, romantic getaway. I just felt like I was on some tacky cruise ship.

We did eat at their main restaraunt and this was probably the most dissappointing. Every other night they have themed buffets and on our night it was Italian. The service was good as they waiters were nice and quick to refil our drinks but otherwise it was pretty bad. The food was okay but the buffet was pretty sparse. Most of the food had been eaten and not replenished and we were there at about 7:30. Not when I would expect the buffet to run out. They made no attempts in the hour that we were there to restock any of the buffet. The remaining food was looking pretty grim and not very appetizing. Things were cold, mushy and strewn about. I watched quite a few people walk up to the treats, grab things off the plates with their fingers and eat them right there. That is when I lost my appetite. The other frustrating thing was that you didnt know how much the buffet was until the bill came. It was $25 a person and not worth it at all. Perhaps on a non-buffet night youd have better luck.

All in all we were very disappointed and would not suggest this place to any one. The area where the hotel was, was anything but inviting. It was just a huge strip of touristy resorts with no authentic value. If you are visiting Mexico to be near a more historic or cultural environment this is NOT it. I would stay downtown for sure so that you are near good food, good shopping and nice people. (check out Hacienda San Angel- a much better place for the same amt. of money) Whats the point of visiting Mexico if the only people you see are other tourists? If you are looking for a large resort type place, I would look elsewhere. If we were to ever come back again, I would stay at the Four Seasons Punta Mita over the Westin. We met a lot of people at the airport who had stayed there and they all loved it. It just seems more classy.

I realize this contradicts many of the other reviews. I was hoping to come back with praise but can not. We just got back a week ago today so its all pretty fresh in my head. Good luck.

15 Thank chopsockey
Reviewed August 18, 2005

My husband and I went to the Westin over the 4th of July holiday. Hotel was wonderful. Great time. But they did not have an atm machine at the hotel. They suggested to use the one across the street next to the liquor store. It was a Banamex ATM machine. You went inside the door. Well on the 16th of August I checked my bank account and I had 4 ATM withdrawals from banks in Mexico totalling $1400.00. When I used that machine they collected all my information including my pin number and created a new card. I only used that machine one time, but thats all it took. Please be careful and for anyone who used that machine I would suggest to close your account and get a new card. My bank told me they are having lots of problems with this.

Either go to the bank itself to get cash. This machine is not monitored or no cameras. I recommend do not use any of those types of ATM machines. If you planning a trip to the Westin you might want to mention to them to not suggest people to use that ATM machine accross from the hote. My bank did credit our account and a fraud investigation has been started.

Stayed July 2005
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 10, 2005

My family just returned from a very relaxing getaway at the Westin resort in Puerto Vallarta. We experienced excellant service from the maid to the concierge. The hotel has four pools to choose from and we never had a problem finding a lounge chair near the pool.
I also took advantage of their gym. They had plenty of cardio, free weights, and swiss balls for core exercising. Very clean, and very nice dressing rooms, showers and sauna. There is a $5.00 fee for each time you use the gym.
The food at the restaurant was average at best and a bit overpriced. We took advantage of the city buses and cabs and ate at some great restarants on the marina which is only a ten minute walk, and the downtown area a $6.00 cab fare.
The beach was a bit small but still pleasant.
The only downside to Puerto Vallarta is the time share salespeople, they are relentless.
We plan on returning to Puerta Vallarta again next year, best time of year is from December to April according to the locals.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fullerton, CA
Reviewed August 4, 2005

Recently brought the family for 5 nights. After reading the reviews regarding food prices - we booked the Royal Beach Club concierge floor and were not disappointed. Beautiful room on the 12th floor overlooking the entire sweep of the bay. Breakfast included eggs, sausage, cheese, cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, smoked salmon, and pastries. Each evening from 5-7 there was an open bar with 2 hot appetizers, sandwiches, chips and guacamole. Terrific value. We did both the Las Palmas Horseback Tour - amazing - beautiful ride through the jungles with swim at a waterfall followed by a fantastic lunch at the hacienda with open bar. Loved It! Also did the canopy tour which was a lot of fun but somewhat high priced.

The Westin has lovely pools - but the managment needs to lose the constant noise from the Nikki Beach Club. ANNOYING! Also, prices at the bars and restaurants are excessive - go across the street to the Marina.

All in all, a great vacation. Don't talk to any of the timeshare people - they start at the airport. Also - a cab from the airport should be only about $6 to the Westin.

18 Thank KalenFullerton_CA
Reviewed August 2, 2005

My husband and I and our daughter and her fiance just got back from the Westin. We were there from 7/23 to 7/31. We read the weather reports for a few weeks prior to our trip and were very concerned about the weather as the forecast was for scattered t storms everyday. We arrived and it was sunny and warm. We had rain 1 time during our 8 day stay. The weather was humid but only bad if we were in a taxi that didnt have air conditioning (which was a majority of them). The rooms at the Westin were quite large. We had a queen bed, a chaise (which was great), an armoire, and a small 2 drawer dresser, 2 night stands and 2 closets. Much larger than the other Westins that we have stayed at in Maui and the Bahamas. The bathroom has a separate shower and tub. Shower is tiled and a walk in with no door. We loved the shower. The tub is small but nice, plenty of counter space in the bathroom. We were in room 901, had a view of the pools, ocean and the downtown area and mountains across the bay. We also had a view of cruise ships coming in and out of the Marina as well as the pirate ship that shoots off fireworks every night at around 9pm. We did not eat at the Westin other than the pool service which was good. Somewhat spendy but what you would expect from a resort. Several shops in hotel. Nice pools, there are kids is each pool though, didnt bother us much. Our daughter was in room 921 and closer to the Nikki Club, they could only hear the music Thurs Fri and Sat night, did not keep them up at night though. They saw dolphins in the bay from their room. The rooms were very clean, only problem was that sometimes we would not receive washclothes, etc. A call to housekeeping took care of that when we needed anything. Our daughter had problems with their TV and a new one was brought in for them, they also had a problem with their air conditioning leaking and it was fixed quickly. The front desk was very helpful. We booked golf through the hotel. We booked our tours through Tukari but found out we could have paid less for them. We did the dolphin swim ($129 and absolutely incredible), Las Caletas scua and snorkel tour (fantastic) and Rythms of the night. The show at Rythms wasnt great but the ambiance more than made up for it. The Marina course was better than Vista Vallarta and cheaper. We ate most meals at the Marina, very handy, had to walk past the timeshare people which is a little irritating but did not affect our vacation at all. We had no problems with the timeshare people in the hotel. Drinks at the hotel are a little spendy, $7.90 for a margarita, $4 for a beer. Much cheaper in the marina. We also went to the Malecon and downtown. Ate at Carlos O Briens which was really fun. Had the most incredible massages at the Marina, it is a spa by the silver store that has candles in the window area, cant remeber the name. Theraputic massage was $45 for 75 min, ambiance is fantastic. We went to book another couples massage and because we prepaid, we got it for $37 per person. The ocean can look somewhat brown in areas due to the rainy season and the river running into the ocean but we were able to get in the water in front of our hotel and it didnt bother us at all. We did not do the Pergolas on the beach as they appeared to be expensive but we found out that the price includes 3 meals per day you rent them. Would have been worth it. Meal prices were good in the Marina, breakfast for 4 was around $25, dinner was around $40 for 4 people without alot of drinks. We had a fabulous vacation and cant wait to go back. For comparison purposes we have been to Maui, Cancun, and Grand Bahama Island and we really liked PV. Would like to go in the winter in the future to avoid some humidity and see dolphins, whales, etc. I was very nervous about this trip and wanted to let everyone know that it was incredible. Hope this helps you decide.

• Stayed July 2005
24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 23, 2005

Stayed at the Westin...hotel was beautiful. Went with another couple and can base the review on 2 rooms. The grounds were very nice and clean. Pools were great with the only problem the first day only one pool was open due to huge rainstorm the night before. As a frequent stayer at Westins I found the room great. The only thing we noticed was that the level of service was slightly off for a "westin". Our bathrobes had no ties..room was cleaned great, but no new shampoo or soap, and several other small items that were not up to their usual standards. Our friends in the room 2 doors down had no problems at all.
Not sure what other reviewers were saying about loud noise from nikki beach next door. Couldn't hear a thing. If you do not like kids making noise, I suggest spending the day on the cushions provided at Nikki Beach. To use their cushions and towels all you have to do is buy a drink. I would not reccomend Nikki Beach for dinner as none of our dishes were very good. Lobster tails very dry and pasta not too good. Overall, I found the food to be the only disappointment for the money we spent. The best restaurant was La Palapa. Great stay and would go to the westin again.

• Stayed July 2005
Los Arcos Suites
Los Arcos Suites
#26 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Reso...
#29 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa del Palmar Flamingos
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallar...
#8 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa
Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & ...
#27 of 126 in Puerto Vallarta

Been to The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!