“I See Palm Trees”

Ranked #29 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Los Angeles
“I See Palm Trees”
Reviewed May 31, 2005

The property and rooms are beautiful. The location is good if you like a master planned feel. I would stay there again; however, my stay was not up to expectations for a hotel such as the Westin.

I just returned from a Memorial Day Weekend stay and service was a bit off. Upon checkin things took a down turn. I booked my stay through Expedia and had paid for an "Ocean View Room" which was more than a Standard Room. Upon check-in I presented my Starwood Gold Membership card and asked about any available upgrades. While checking in the Front Desk Staff continued to accept calls while attempting to check me in. After waiting over 5 minutes, the Front Desk Staff Person indicated that I was not going to get the Ocean View Room I paid for and was not going to get an upgrade. This person explained to me that I have an Expedia problem and to contact them....I did. Expedia contacted the hotel promptly and the next day I was back at the front desk asking about my Ocean View Room. A different Front Desk Staff took care of my inquiry.....sort of. He asked me three times whether or not I could see the Ocean from my room. I explained to him three times that I see palm trees and palm frawns from my room and not the Ocean View Room I paid for through Expedia. He asked if I was prepared to move rooms now - I said YES. I got the Ocean View Room I paid for. Beautiful room, great views and on the 11th floor.

I sent Laundry out the first night and did not see it until I started making inquiries on the 3rd day as to where it was.

The phone in the new room did not ring and I received voicemails as opposed to direct calls to the room. I notified the Front Desk....it was never fixed during my stay.

The Restaurant on the pool level is below par for a Westin. On my last day there I arrived at 11:40 AM for breakfast, noted that the Menu said the restaurant served Breakfast until 12:00 PM, however, was told by the waiter that the kitchen was preparing for lunch and I could have the Breakfast Buffet instead. Pretty bad food for $22.00 per person.

Great property, beuatiful rooms and view (if you pay for it and get it), great location and I would stay there again.....I just think it was a bit busy considering it was Memorial Day weekend and I will give this place another chance during my next stay in Puerto Vallarta.

11 Thank mp8shnt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
  • Greek first
Houston, TX
Reviewed May 26, 2005

My husband and I just returned for Puerto Vallarta last week. We stayed at the Westin for a long weekend and found it to be a good value for what we paid ($120 per night). The hotel is a little retro, but well maintained and clean. The rooms are nice and the pool is amazing!!! That is very important becuase the beaches in this area are not very pretty.

When we made our plans, we debated staying at the Marriott so we walked over and checked it out. The Marriott hotel is definitely nicer, but their pool is not very exciting. My husband and I both agreed that we made the right choice in staying at the Westin b/c we liked the pool so much!

Our room was not far from the Nikki Beach restaurant and we did not hear anything like some of the other reviewers did.

The food was good (overpriced like any other resort), but does take FOREVER to get. Order before you get hungry! Poolside service is so slow. It took my husband like 20 minutes to get a drink he ordered at the swim up bar one day-- food is even slower!

Go eat breakfast at the place accross the street called "Tacos and Beer." For like $4 you can get a huge and very tasty breakfast. We went there every morning. Order the Chilaques (not spelled right). They are very spicy, but well worth the indigestion! They're a concotion of chips, red sauce, onions, cilantro and mexican cheeses. YUM!

Puerto Vallarta was not my favorite vacation spot as I like places that are more secluded and low key, but my husband loved the party atmosphere and we did meet tons of really fun people.

Again, this is a great low budget vacation and a fun party place, but not the kind of town or hotel that you go to if you are looking for a peaceful, romantic, relaxing vacation.

PS- We did do the "Rythms of the Night" tour (Vallarta Adventures). It was very pretty, romantic, and fun. I would defnitely reccomend it as something different to do!

7 Thank alliekat17
Chicago, Il.
Reviewed May 18, 2005

Everything you've read about the time share folks is true---but the hotel was fabulous. The ocean view, the lobby, the rooms, the staff and the setting all rate high on my list. The hotel food was a bit pricey, but there are lots of places nearby where great food is available at less than average prices. The pools and the beach were beautiful. The staff at the hotel was friendly and helpful. This is definitely a repeat spot for lovers of Mexico.

6 Thank paulie s
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 9, 2005

The Good - Our room was beautiful, we had an extremely comfortable room and bedding, great marble bathroom with a huge shower and a beautiful view of the ocean in the front and the marina in the back. The front desk was very polite and helpful with money exchanges. The pool waitstaff was extremely curtious, polite and quick. The pools were beautiful and there was plenty of seating. The hotel atmosphere was spacious, open and gorgous, the grounds were emaculate. The pool bathrooms were very clean. The food at the hotel was expensive but good. What I would expect to pay at a four star hotel.

The Bad - Every night until 2:00 am you could hear loud techo/euro music from Club Nikki which is right next to the hotel. I can't believe no one thought of the hotels guest when they built this place and decided playing loud music until 2:00 am was a good idea. We had dinner one night at club Nikki and felt the wait staff took advantage of us and charged us for more than what we ordered. ALL four pools were croweded with children under the age of 7 and it was very loud the entire four days we were there, not to relaxing. The two hot tubs they had were never "hot"
I was EXTREMELY unhappy with the people at the hotels information desk continually badgering us about time share stuff when we went to to get infomration. This was a total turnoff and did not reflect well on the Westin, probably one of the biggest reasons I will not stay at this hotel again.

Other general information - The other reason I will not stay at this hotel again is the minute you walk out of the hotel not five steps and you are badgered by time share men. EVERYTIME we said no, and they still followed us up and down the street. This is not an enjoyable experience. The Marina close to the hotel is the only other place to eat that is close and the people there are outside of the resturant aggressively trying to get you to eat at their restuarant. I found this about annoying as the time share people. The hotel is located pretty far from the town so next time we will stay closer to the downtown area, although I can safely say it will be a while before I go back to Mexico.

Stayed May 2005
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 2, 2005

I stayed at this hotel with my mom, sister and friend from 4/7-4/10. Four short days doesn't do this paradise justice! We stayed on the 4th floor overlooking the "kiddie pool". It was noisy throughout the day, with the children laughing and playing. You could also hear Nikki Beach with its loud, booming dance music at night. We slept with our balcony door open all night. The music didn't bother any of us. The food at the hotel is expensive, paying nearly $25.00 per person for the breakfast buffet, but the food was delicious, with a huge variety. I would highly recommend eating dinner at sunset at the famous "El Set" Restaurant downtown. It was absolutely breathtaking. We spent most of our freetime exploring downtown, shopping, etc. Since we didn't do our homework before arriving, we never even went to the Marina area. Would also recommend asking cab drivers the cost BEFORE leaving to your destination. We got taken a couple of times on cab fare....and buckle your seat belt! It's one wild and crazy ride! I myself don't get the opportunity to travel much, but to me, it was the most beautiful place I've ever seen! We were so impressed that we reserved rooms for December! Just knowing we are coming back got us out of our depression slump! I also visited with the beach vendors. Some people don't like them nagging, but just be firm...I even got some amazing bargains on jewelry! In conclusion, everyone was friendly, helpful and outgoing. I can't wait to come back!!!! See you in December!

• Stayed April 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed May 2, 2005

I loved staying at this hotel! Great service, beautiful spacious rooms, and Nikki Beach restaurant/bar is sooo much fun and very chic! A gem. While in Puerto Vallerta make sure to get a massage at the Marina - very cheap and worth every penny. Also, ride the bus to downtown, its cheap, and if you get confused or lost, the locals are very nice and will help you out. We dined at many fancy and local places, but in the end, nothing beats the taco stands we found in downtown...yummy!!! WE also went to Walmart and loaded up on fruit and water in leau of snacks.

All in all, the Marina is the best place to stay and the Westin is wonderful...you really can stay at your hotel the whole time and have a great time. We checked out the other places and this one is the best on many levels. Trust me! We, however, tried to suck up the marrow of PV and had a great time! Remember to shop around and barter. Also...DONT take a taxi straight from the airport..what a rip off. It should only cost 40 pesos (around $4 dollars total for 2-4 people). Just walk a few blocks into the street and voila.

Happy traveling! And remember, its Mexico....so try and respect its unique culture, weather, and their people. :)

• Stayed April 2005
16 Thank bonnie m
dix hills, ny
Reviewed April 29, 2005

my wife and i visited puerto vallarta 4/21/05-4/27/05. we stayed at westin resort & spa. the resort was very nice, the reception area and grounds were very clean. the bar area inside the the hotel was set up to look out over the pool areas and beach. it was anice place to have an evening drink.our room was on the 11th floor, this was requested thru leticia our concierge, part of the starwood preffered guest program. the room had great view from the balcony. we had a king size bed which was very comfortable. the bathroom had a tub and seperate shower. the maid service kept our room always clean , .the pool area was very nice, sometimes crowded as one of the pools was temporarily under repair. we always found a couple of lounge chairs to relax. we have been to mexico a few times and know that the beaches are different than in the carribean but we always enjoy them. . away from the resort but within short walking distance is an area called the mariner. here there are many restaurants and shops. nice to walk around and grab a bite to eat. each day we had breakfast at mr cream at mariner it was good. we took taxis downtown in the evening and did a lot of walking, this was enjoyable. restaurants we enjoyed were xtomatos, lapalapa, boca bento. only negative are mayan timeshare sales peaple between westin and mayan they are annoying . just ignore them . ps the spa at westin is excellent!!

11 Thank relaxDixHills_Ny