“wonderful”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #29 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
“wonderful”
Reviewed October 10, 2004

The beds heavenly. The grounds were beautiful. The pool was excellent. Beach the best early in the day. Very relaxing short stay. We ate breakfast at Mr. Creme's in the Marina area which had a better and cheaper breakfast than the hotel. The hotel had a happy hour from 6-10pm daily with 2 for 1 on drinks. We will go back!!!!

only negative thing was the annoying time share people who hound you too death everywhere you go. You tell them no you are not interested and they still bug you constantly.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Greek first
Reviewed September 30, 2004

I took my girlfriend on a suprise trip to Cabo where I asked her to be wife. (We're both 30 years old)She thought we were driving to Key West. Yes, she was surprised when we ended up at the aiport. She did not find out that we were going to Cabo until momements before we boarded the second leg of our journey in Houston.

The Westin is a wonderful place, but it is very expensive...to the point that it is anoying. All of Cabo is expenisve. Keep in mind that you are on vacation and that makes it a bit easier to swallow. Bring back a bottle of booze to your room when you go into town to save money. FYI-Corona is $5.50 each at the hotel and pina coladas are $9.00. Do NOT use the phone. I was really ticked when I found out that international calls are $5.00 per minute. There is nothing to warn you. I am still mad about that. My bill was $200 for the phone only.

We had an ocean front room over lookign the Sea of Cortez. Magnificant! There is a shuttle that runs you to and from Cabo and San Jose. It is cheaper than a taxi, but not as flexible. If you listen to their time share pitch you can get free use of the shuttle during your stay amoung other discounts. I would go ahead and do it again if I had the choice. I would recommend reading about time shares ahead of time, just in case you are truly interested. Not many people spend $15,000 based on a two hour presnetation. Oh yes...absolutley ignore every person inside the airport. They are selling time shares and ask for money to lock you in. We made it through most of the airprot untouched when this guy raised his hand and yelled "Westin Regina Shuttle." I went over there expecting a shuttle. Turns out he was selling timeshares, but not for the Westin. Its nuts what they will do to get you over to speak with them. All of the taxis and shuttles line up outside of the building. Just run for the door and do not make eye contact.

Cabo itself caters to booze it up toursits. Venders are at every corner and on the public beach. They are not shy about approaching you. San Jose is more of a true Mexican town. Got to the Tropicana for a drink. It is a neat old house turned into a resturaunt that is a favorite of toursists, but not touristy. It has an excellent courtyard in the back for taking autentic Mexican pictures. You do not need more than 1 day here.
Shop around. We found a neat metal sculpture for $200 at one place and $40 at another.

If you are a bunch of single people looking to party I would not stay at the Westin. Stay in town so you can enjoy it more. There are several bars right on the beach that attract the element you will be looking for.

Go kayaking for a half day at Land's End and on to Lover's Beach. It is great, but not easy unless you are a pro. We didn't do much else other than chill.

On the beach at the Westin, take a right when looking at the water and walk. There is no one at all and it is an easy walk. You just have to step over a few rocks and then the entire beach is yours alone.

We went in August so it was hot, but not as humid as Tampa so we were fine. The "Corridor" is where you will want to stay if you are looking for an upscale place. Its 15 minutes to Cabo and 20 minutes to San Jose. I brushed up on my Spanish and found that it wasn't necessary. Most every speaks English. If your are celebrating, go to Edith's in Cabo. Wonderful, but yes...you guessed it...really expensive. Small obster dinner is $60.000 USD and a small cesear salad is $15.00. I don't even want to recall what the bottle of wine cost. There are plenty of ATMs that dispense Pesos.

Hope this helps. Have a great time.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 12, 2004

Hotel was soso. Room smelled moist but ok it was due to humid weather. Only complaint is tht we could'nt get in the pool after 8pm.
Good weather in the day and rainy
towards evening w/ lightinng and thunder. very nice and romantic. do not tk the taxi. it is more thn
$$4/ tk bus only about 40 cents. they take u everywhere. Alot of thngs to do at puerto vallarta
alot of good tours and everyone nice and helpful.
watch out w people trying to sell u tours on beach
or streets they sld us unvalid ticks and lost $100.00
but reported them to police and got our $$ back. Buy tours at ur hotel. recommed Rhythm of the Nights very romantic.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed September 8, 2004

If you want to experience both the luxury of a resort as well as the authentic Mexican culture then Puerto Vallarta is the place to go.
I stayed at the Westin Hotel. The Westin is a pleasant, I would recommend it to my friends. I stayed there for 6 nights the 3rd week of August
Pros:
Very clean. I wanted to plug in my curling iron by my bed, so I pulled out the telephone stand to plug it in and there wasn't a speck of dust behind it.
Architecture is beautiful; modern and sophisticated.
As with most places, some staff were attentive and very helpful, others were rude and appeared that they didn't want to be bothered.
I enjoyed watching the evening rain and lighting storms from my balcony. Awesome!
In room safe. I left money, jewerly and electronic equipment in it.
Nikki Beach restaurant bar and club is next door. It is pricey, but very hip with a A-list crowd.
As advertised, the beds are heavenly.
Room is spacious as is the bathroom.
Check in and out was quick
Cons:
The toilet had mildew or something under the rim, YUK! The maid cleaned everything else but that. I am a clean freak, so it bothered me. It might not bother others. Other than that, the room was spotless.
You have to get down to the pool early if you want a lounge chair in the shade.
Other reviewers stated they had difficulty getting replacement washcloths. I experienced the same problem. The maid picked up the dirty ones, but didn't replace them. I had to call the service number to get more.

After reading so many reviews about the expensive yet below average restaurants at the hotel, I did not eat there. As several have written, PiPi's Restaurant (downtown) is outstanding. The chimichangas are outstanding!
Beware of the taxis, they will charge you 70 pesos or more if they think you don't know the price. The cost to got into town is 50 pesos. Negotiate the price before you drive off. I went into town several times, so I know the price. If you want a true local experience take the bus for 4 pesos.
Also the workers are paid very little, so have plenty of tip money. I tipped everyone for every act--getting me a taxi, the kids opening the taxi door for me, etc.
Tourists are sent to the flea market downtown to buy souvenirs, however if you want the best prices go to the real flea market which is located behind Walmart. This is where the sellers from the downtown market buy their items they sell to the tourists.

• Stayed August 2004
9 Thank nynan
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed August 30, 2004

My wife and I just returned from a one week stay at the Westin. All the previous reviews really helped. We stayed at the hotel portion and got a free upgrade to a balcony-jaccuzi room. We were up on the 7th floor and it was still a bit noisy especially in the late afternoon from neighboring hotels. It was high enough not to hear the music from the Nikky Beach Restaurant at night.
Went to Nikky Beach twice for dinner, first the day we arrived and second the day before we left. Both times, great experience with the food, drink and ambiance. Friday night was really rocking! Watch out for the sushi, their idea of sushi is cooked fish not raw. The restaurant is especially enjoyable if you lie on the cushions instead of sitting at the tables. Much more decadent. Pool bars serve the best drinks, all fresh ingredients. Forget about breakfast at the hotel, it is a ripoff, best delay it for late lunch/brunch.
We did a lot of activities through Vallarta Adventures including scuba, snorkeling, rhythms of the night and the canopy tour. That last one is a must! Of note, don't bother buying the video or DVD of the trips unless you are a very small group. You end up just seeing a glimpse of yourself and the rest is pretty much stock images.
Booked the flight and hotel through Expedia. Their representative Jaime is very friendly and helpful although he also has a little stake in getting you to attend a timeshare meeting. It was easy to fend off the multiple lures for time share traps. Just say Gracias Amigo (or Amiga), wave your hand and move on. Whatever you do, DON'T go to one of the sessions unless you really want to buy a timeshare with all its problems. A couple we met there went and were stuck for 4 hours fending off the high pressure sale tactics. Forget about the 50% discount on activities, or merchandise or whatever they give you, it is just not worth your time unless you make less than $15 an hour and if you do you should not be staying at that hotel anyway!
We had most of our meals in the downtown area and by the beaches in the Arcos area. The marina restaurants are only good enough for breakfast, the rest of the time they are are pretty empty. Maybe it is because of the low season. Best deal for buying nearly EVERYTHING is the local Walmart especially for alcohol and pharmaceuticals. Better than the duty free at the airport or any pharmacy anywhere in PR. They have a limited choice of souvenirs though, so best go to the flea market and ALWAYS bargain. We never bought anything unless we had at least 50% off the initially quoted price.
The only real downsides to that hotel are: no beach to speak of, a bit far from the downtown and a bit pricey compared to the other hotels in the area. However, the pros outweigh the cons! We had overall a very enjoyable trip. Next time we will bring the kids and try the high season (November to April)

8 Thank Docsam
Reviewed August 30, 2004

Beautiful hotel and grounds. Just returned 8/28. We didn't like the location of the first room they gave us but they had no problem showing us three others to chose from. Pay the extra for the "Royal Beach Club" level. It comes w/breakfast & P.M. snacks including an OPEN BAR from 5 to 7. Well worth it. Service from our Beach Club hostess was fantastic. Our only complaint was the pool needs more chlorine because the tile grout is very dirty and looks mildew. Also valet parking would have been nice if they had it.

• Stayed August 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 23, 2004

We were given the wrong room at check-in. I reserved an ocen view room, but was given one of the lower level rooms. I immediately brought this to the front desk staff's attention, who did not at all apologize for the error. The new room was clean, and had a nice view of the ocean and the city (I would definitely recommend paying extra for an ocean view room). The towels were rough and old. Our keys malfunctioned twice, and we had to wait over ten minutes for maintenance to arrive. Room service was very slow and the food was not good. I had to call four times (over a three hour period) before they finally came to pick up the trays. The food and beverages at El Palmar and the pool bar were excellent. I would recommend champagne brunch at the Nikki Beach. The prices were reasonable at all the restaurants. The waiters were also very attentive.

The best assets of the hotel were the pools and the Nikki Beach cabanas. The beach was rocky, and a little dirty. We only used it once.

I would recommend staying at the Westin, but be forewarned of the slow service and the understaffing.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member