“Lovely Resort; great stay!”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #34 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Westin Puerto Vallarta for a quick little getaway and found the resort to be perfect. Large pool, great beach front, delicious food and just steps from the beautiful Marina Vallarta this place had everything we needed and then some. We will deifintely be back for another visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
cristina_castillo, Director General at The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

We are happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for sharing your experience in our resort: your opinion is very important to us and to our future clients.

We are looking forward to have you back soon; this is your home in Puerto Vallarta

Eduardo Ballesteros

Write a ReviewReviews (1,904)

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had a one-night stay booked at this property and was a little hesitant based on the reviews here, some of which are fairly negative and do not paint the property a pleasant picture.

I was fairly happily surprised when we checked in and went to our room. Granted, our reserved room type was changed (from king to double bed) and the room we were given was right next to the elevator. I was a little annoyed at these issues but we were only there for one night and we did check in ahead of the 3pm posted check-in time, so I did not raise a fuss. I thought the rooms were very nice, spacious and clean. The bathroom was well-stocked and the beds (both of them) were heavenly and comfortable. The property itself is expansive and has a few swimming areas at the beach.

We had breakfast on our one morning there which was also very good, and the service was great. Overall, the hotel was not particularly crowded (I have a hard time believing they were at capacity and did not have a single king bed room, but whatever) and we had plenty of space to relax at the pool.

We enjoyed our stay here very much and are looking forward to returning. It makes me wonder if we had an unusually good experience based on the other reviews of dirty, non-functioning rooms.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post about our hotel and for choosing it for your stay. We apologies for the inconvenience of the bed type, however, we are glad to hear that you did enjoy our heavenly beds and the amenities in the room.

We will also inform the restaurant staff about your nice comment concerning them. We are certainly waiting for your next visit with us at the Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed for two nights at the Westin. The Westin chain is one of our favorites and we always enjoy our stay; however, not at this one. This hotel is very, very tired. Our room was disgustingly filthy. Even with the light switches in "off" position, three of the ceilings lights were flashing. We ended up climbing up and removing the light bulbs. We were concerned we were staying in a fire hazard. They gave us a different room on Day 2 which was a little cleaner and the lights worked okay. Beds were not the usual "Westin heavenly beds" nor was the bedding. Sounds trivial but that's part of the "Westin experience". Pool area is nice and the restaurants at the marina are good. Probably a 3 star hotel, so don't expect anything more.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
cristina_castillo, Director of Sales at The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear guest

First of all we apologize for the inconvenience during your stay in our hotel; we appreciate very much your feedback that will help us a lot to improve our facility, it is really important to us to become a better hotel.

My very best regards

Cristina Castillo
Director of Sales and Marketing

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I booked a reservation for my wife and our honeymoon over American Express SPG reservations I made very clear to say it was our honeymoon. Even got a congratulation from the representative. I booked all inclusive ocean view room. When we arrived at the hotel after a 7 hour flight the front desk told me it was booked for one person and we have to pay an extra $100 a night. I asked to speak to a manager. After over an hour and not being offered anything to drink or eat but, told to wait in lobby the manager finally arrives and was very rude. He would not let us check in without paying an extra $40-$60 a night . Because their reservations representative made a mistake I guess the guest has to pay?
We had no other choice and were not going to argue in front of my wife. This is no place for a honeymoon

Room Tip: Another Hotel
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Aaron L
cristina_castillo, Director of Sales at The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Guest

First of all, I apologize for responding until today. I am very sorry to learn about your experience in our hotel and please accept our apologies, I understand how you felt and how important was this special moment for you.

Your feedback will help us to get better and definitely we will work on it; we hope to have the opportunity to have you back and regain your confidence.

My very best regards

Cristina Castillo
Director of Sales and Marketing

Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have again returned to the Westin Resort in Puerto Vallarta & was amazed how great the service was again. Those cabana's on the beachfront are a great way to unwind & enjoy the sun sand & surf. Highly recommended & great place to relax & chill out.

Thanks Westin & I will be back again soon.

Room Tip: Higher floors are always the best as the beautiful Bay Of Banderas is just in front of you & you...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta and for your loyalty towards our hotel.

The Pergolas area is indeed the perfect place to relax and protect from the wind and sun; once again thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff, they will be please to hear it.

Please come soon, our Westin hotel is waiting for you.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Bumpy start when we got there , was back and forth to the front desk several times to fix problems ie....rooms not ready , non-working key-cards , wrong bed types , no bar key , and a shower that only ran hot or cold (no in between) . Got fed up and had front desk get me the manager . After venting my frustration the manager assured me she would do everything in her power to insure that everything ran smoothly and from there on in everything did (with the exception of our louvered room partition which fell apart but was quickly repaired after informing the manager) .We stayed four days and , with the exception of the first day , really enjoyed our stay .The grounds and setting are incredible and the staff are courteous and attentive . A special thanks to the manager Gabriela who took special care of us and made sure our stay was memorable.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank christopher t

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for providing us with the feedback of your recent stay at our hotel. We apologies for the check-in issues, however we are glad to see that Gabriela was able to help you and make the rest of the stay as enjoyable as possible.

Once again thank you for the kind comments regarding our staff, I will pass the message on. We do hope you come back to visit us.

Kind Regards

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I chose this property because I am a loyal Starwood Member.
I had booked this trip months in advance on my Starwood Points and I was assured that they would take great care of me, given that it was my honeymoon and I was such a "valued" Starwood member.
I booked three nights here on the last leg of my honeymoon. The first part of my honeymoon was really, really brutal over at the Barcelo, so I was really looking forward to getting here and unwinding for a few nights.
Upon arrival, I was quite impressed with the size and opulence of the property. I glided up to the front desk to check in, only to be informed that I was placed on the 2nd floor, even after I had been assured by Starwood staff that they would put me on a higher floor. 2nd would have worked in a pinch, and honestly I was too tired to argue, but it is the only SMOKING floor on the property and we didn't want to spend 3 nights in a smelly room, so I pleaded with the front desk guy to get a higher floor. He regretfully informed me that the hotel was at capacity and that there was absolutely nothing that he could do. When pleasantries failed, I offered to pay additional points for an upgrade. Unfortunately, no accommodation would be made... UNTIL I offered to pay additional cash the room and POOF! Magically, a room was available on the 7th floor, go figure. So I got hustled at the desk and went up to my room. So I paid an additional $30 fee per night, plus something close to 20% tax for hotel and government. And even with this additional fee, I was not granted access to the happy hour special or any additional "club-type" amenities.
I would have put up more of a fight, but I really couldn't wait to get up to the room and hit the pillow.
When we finally got there, we liked all of the dark wood, but the room was small and we were disappointed that the room was dirty - floors, chairs, all soiled - the desk chair was broken, the mini bar was not stocked properly and we were short on towels.
Over the next couple of days, I had a really tough time getting the room freshened, getting fresh towel, new shampoo, etc.
I will give them a huge bonus for location. We loved the Marina and how close it was to town and the airport. Also loved having Oxxo across the street for bottled water, cold beer and chips to munch on. And we loved the little cafe next door to Oxxo where you can stop for a bite on your way into the Marina.
True, you can't take your own food and drinks to the pool, but there are plenty to order once you're down there. They share grounds with the massive "club" / timeshare property next door, and one of the pools next door was all but deserted, so we had to to ourselves. Without this pool, we would have been in big trouble because the rest of the resort was covered in families with small children. Bathrooms at the timeshare property next door were also much cleaner than at the Westin.
We also hung out on the private beach at the timeshare property next door, which is technically not allowed, but we ordered snacks and drinks, so they welcomed us with open arms.
All in all, we enjoyed this leg of the trip more than the previous, but the issue at check in and having to pay an additional penalty every night to get a decent room left a very sour taste in my mouth.
Based on this alone, I would not return to this property, which is too bad because we really enjoyed the marina, pools and beach.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is smoking floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nickyzaazaa

Dear Guest

We are truly sorry about reading your check in experience; please accept an apology in behalf of our Staff and the management team. Your comments give us the opportunity to improve in those areas to give our valuable guests a complete and satisfactory stay.

Your feedback is very important to improve our services and provide a memorable experience to our guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to have you back in the near future.

Eduardo Ballestero