“Hidden Gem!”
Review of El Mole de Jovita

El Mole de Jovita
Ranked #29 of 1,033 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A mexican restaurant with autentic mexican food, the special is the mole sauce witch is made like in the past, an artesian mole that takes over a week to prepare, unique texture and a chocolate taste at the end. A very house warming atmosphere, and always a good service taken by the owners themself.
san francisco
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden Gem!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

On my usual quest for handmade tortillas, I got extra lucky - blue corn AND fantastic mole. Sergio the owner has an unparalleled passion for mole, specifically that of his mother's - Jovita - who makes it herself and ships it to him weekly from its province of origin. Truly the best mole in the area, one not known for this amazing sauce. Three kinds too, not just the cocoa based one! We had chicken and a type of local whitefish where he smothered it in all three types for me to sample. Fresh ingredients, great flavors, excellent service. Nice to find something unique in PV. Fresh mango juice a huge plus for our 16-year old, who is now a mole convert Extensive menu for those who don't eat mole - everyone should find somethimg they like at this great little place.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank lachrisette

Texas, USA
“Mole as I always knew it should be...”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We visited here last week as part of the Vallarta Eats food tour. I've had mole before (here in Texas) but have never fallen in love with it, mainly because I could always seem to pick out the ingredients instead of enjoying a harmonious blend... Not here! There is black mole, green mole, pink mole, white mole (I believe, or maybe I'm just dreaming now...), etc., each made with over 37 ingredients. The chef/owner explained that his mom makes the mole paste in Mexico City each month (each batch takes one week to make, look for her picture on the wall), he brings it back to PV and cooks it for 4-5 hours, and then the magic happens! We enjoyed the black and green moles, and my view of mole will never be the same. (I also will likely never be able to enjoy mole state-side again!). Also, the mole-topped enchiladas came with a wonderful warm, roasted poblano, corn, sour cream "salad" that I plan to attempt to recreate asap.

In short, I would definitely return and encourage everyone to try it to see what you've been missing!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank devoful
Monroe, Wisconsin
“Great for a good mole fix”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had my last meal after 3 and a half months in Mexico at El Mole de Jovita. I wanted to make sure I got one more delicious Mexican meal before heading home; and since I knew I couldn't get good mole in the US, I decided on this spot. We were first greeted by the owner--the positively delightful son of Jovita. Speaking fluent English, he explained his menu and answered all our questions. When we had difficulty deciding, he brought out a bit of each mole for us to try. I opted for half Jovita's specialty mole (much like mole poblano), half yellow mole over the chile stuffed with cheese and prawns. My partner got the mole verde on enchiladas.

Though I can't say it was the best mole I ever had (I spent a good deal of time sampling the moles of Oaxaca and Puebla), the meal was delicious and completely satisfied my mole cravings. I practically licked the plate clean.

Puerto Vallarta has so many Italian/French/American places, you shouldn't forget what country you're in; it boasts some of the best and most unique cuisine in the world. And mole is a highlight. Definitely give it a try if you havent yet--and this is a great place to do it.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank lwjubeck
Piedmont, CA
“Best Mole Ever”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Six of us enjoyed our dinner there very much. Definitely the best mole we have ever had - very rich and complex, yet it doesn't overwhelm the food. Sergio, the owner, got his mole recipes from his mother, Jovita. He's very proud of the recipes and lovingly shares the mole with samples from a large, continually stirred pan with anyone walking by on the street.
Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank jnybakken
Oregon
“Great mole”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We visited this restaurant as part of the Vallarta Eats food tour. The owner met our group outside and was so enthusiastic about his restaurant and his food. While we didn't eat an entire meal, we did get to experience the wonderful mole here. I've never been a huge mole fan, but I've never had a mole this good before! We will definitely return to this restaurant on our next trip to Vallarta.

• Visited May 2013