“Loved it!”

Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I was here March 12-16 2012. Four of us stayed in the same room. It felt a little crammed but we expected this for 4 of us.
We had a beach and pool view too which was great. The staff were very helpful. However a little slow. But after traveling around in Puerto Vallarta, I think it's just the way locals are there. :)
We always had fresh towels and they provided good room service as far tidying up the room.
The headboard however was very dusty. The bathroom was VERY TINY. I am not sure if I am just spoiled from staying in hotels in the USA where they are bigger.
Also when showering I could hear other guests staying above us talking as if they were in the bathroom with me.
The floors in the room were dusty and dirty too.
However, all in all I would stay here again. I didn't come to Puerto Vallarta to stay in my hotel. I came to lay on the beach and visit the town.
This hotel is right on the beach and right by downtown. Tons of construction going on by our hotel which surprisingly we never heard in our room or in the lobby. We were on Spring Break and one of the staff members met up with us on the beach and showed us where all the clubs were. Very nice of him!

I recommend people to stay here and I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Try and get a Pool or Beach View. Much prettier!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Valerie B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,960)

Reviewed April 2, 2012

It seems that the best days are gone, as simple as that, the staff is friendly but it seems they have alor of issues. The cleaness of the rooms is very questionable, it seems this was the best hotel 20 years ago, not anymore.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Galindo76
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We chose this hotel for one reason and one reason only: location, location, location. We had no interest in a hotel that was all-inclusive or in the Nuevo Vallarta location. We had read online that the food in Puerto is fantastic so a hotel's food was not on our list of wants. Also, we did not care about spas, pools, etc...Out hotel choice was based on location so that we could easily get back to our hotel room to change, drop off items, etc...If you are looking for a newer hotel with great food, pools, updated rooms and baths, then you need to head to Nuevo Vallarta. However, if you want a place that is central to great restaurants and other fun activities, then this is the hotel for you. The staff were friendly - the other American guests were not. As an American, I was embarrassed by the rudeness of the other American guests and their general snide and condescending behavior toward the Mexican staff. A word to the wise (or not-so-wise), just because someone does not speak English as their primary language, that does not mean that they are stupid. Also, if something isn't perfect (and please tell me when it is!), that does not mean your next step in the conversation is to make threats. The rude Americans made the hotel experience less appealing rather than the hotel itself.

As for the hotel room, it was on the small side but we had a fridge and microwave which were nice surprises. The bathroom was old and the shower had a very slow drain but it met our basic needs. We had a room on the street side which was very loud and a very tiny view of the ocean. Sleep was a little difficult as it did get quite loud at night and businesses opened early. I highly recommend getting ear plugs if your room is located on the street side or paying the additional money and getting a full ocean view.

We received a coupon for free dinner at the restaurant hotel. We had the seafood platter and immediately were grateful that we did not choose the all-inclusive. Tip: when you walk past a restaurant and they are begging you to come in versus walk past a restaurant with a line out the door, choose the restaurant with the line. The seafood was overcooked and rubbery. It was horrible. There is no need to do the all-inclusive as there a tons of fabulous restaurants within walking distance: Trio, Archie's Wok, La Palapa and the list goes on and on. The restaurants are not that expensive and the food is fantastic!

Playa Los Arcos is also close to many nearby activities. The hotel concierge was very helpful in planning our trips. We asked her opinion and she did not go wrong on any of her recommendations. We walked to the nearby pick up point to go into the mountains for zip lines - fantastic! We also did an 8 hour sea cruise that included whale watching, snorkeling, scuba for those who are certified, sea kayaking and lunch and drinks are included. So much fun even though the Pacific side definitely is not as great for snorkeling as the Caribbean side.

For those who want and/or need a 5 star spa experience at their hotel, Playa Los Arcos is definitely not for you. For those who desire more adventure and time away from their hotel and plan to try the awesome restaurants that Puerto has to offer, then Playa Los Arcos is the place for you!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bmg91
Reviewed March 27, 2012

On our 4th trip to this hotel, our stay ended in a disaster. After exiting the slimy bottomed pool I fell beside the pool on my way back to the chaise lounges. I was carted off the the local hospital and faulty surgery to repair the fractured knee was performed only to be redone back in the states when I returned a week later. The hotel did send me flowers and asked how long I was going to be in the hospital. On previous evenings upon returning from dinner we noticed that towels were put in the same place where I fell indicating to us they were aware of the slippery surfaces. My husband also took a tumble a couple of days before but fortunately for him, he was not hurt. Upon checkout they had the audacity to charge us for our full 5 night visit and I was stuck with a $14,200US hospital. I guess the flower arrangement was supposed to pacify me. I also sent them a full copy of my Mexican hosptial bill with no response from them. Needless to say we will not be returning on our annual trip to our timeshare at Velas Vallarta. Their facilities including the pools are spotless and never have encountered a slimy bottomed pool.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cshamie
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We've stayed at the Playa Los Arcos at least 12 times over the last five years. Needless to say- we like the place, as it is situated in a great location, on the beach, is reasonably priced, with a very friendly, helpful staff.

The only real drawbacks are: it's definately an older hotel, and the rooms reflect that. But they are always clean, the place is extremely safe, with security aware when non-guests enter the premises. There is a vast difference in rooms- with the ones facing the pool- on the north side of the property- being the best. The rooms which open on the street side- or face the street are noisy, and can really sour your view of the hotel. So---- it's very important that you try to get the rooms poolside- which are entered from the hallway- not with an outside enterance (believe me- this is a big deal to a lot of people!).

There are so many wonderful restaurants in zona romantica- I strongly suggest - don't get the all inclusive option at the hotel playa los arcos. Be a little adventurous- and try the restaurants- the area is very safe, and everything is a couple of minutes walk. Two of my favorite places - are very close- Joe Jack's Fish Shack (try the red snapper-it's great), and Si Senor- (authentic mexican food). Neither place is cheap- but both are good- and not too expensive.

Room Tip: There is a vast difference in rooms- with the ones facing the pool- on the north side of the propert...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We had just checked in and were out of the room for no more than an hour, when someone entered and stole our ATM card. Several times a day people would knock on the door and ask if we needed more water bottles. I don't think they were actually interested in our water supply and do not feel that this hotel is safe or secure. The rooms were okay and the staff pleasant, though they did not seem to care that someone on their staff was stealing things out of their hotel rooms.

Room Tip: Choose a water front room. The others look over the pool and are noisy and not really that nice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MTWSeattle
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Welcome home said Aurelio to us when we returned to PLA this January.This is exactly how we felt and this is exactly why so many people keep coming back year after year to this very nice place. it is not about the location, we know it is perfect, it as about the warmth of the staff that make you feel at home right away. Be nice to them, they will be nice to you. Like for many other reviewers this place is paradise on earth : location is excellent as well as food, rooms and staff. what more do you need? I will be back soon at Playa Los Arcos.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple