“San Marino Great Value”
Review of San Marino Hotel

San Marino Hotel
Ranked #97 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Overall this was a great place to stay for the money. It was inexpensive, on the other hand there were some things that could be improved. but as it is smaller than other hotels we have stayed in, it is to be expected. This is the first time in PV for my wife and I and will surely come back again. The staff was very friendly and attentive. Always asking if they could be of service.
Prior to booking our vacation we searched the hotel on tripadvisor and found quite a few negative remarks. Now that we have been to the hotel, they are totally unfounded.Sure we had some issues. Closet door was having problems. The food in the dining room was not five star. But to be quite honest, this is the thing where you get what you pay for. We went in with our expectations on the lower side and were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is very clean (first on our list of expectations), our housekeeper did an excellent job. I am one to leave money on the pillow every day when we go out and we had the towel sculptures every day. Nice and clean on our arrival to our room. VERY NICE to come back to that after all day on the beach. We did not hang out at the pool at all but they had activities going on every day for all ages.
All in all, we loved the hotel. For those of the people that think that when you pay for a 2.5 star hotel and should receive 5 star service. You should stay home. We will for sure return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Yes the beds are hard (like concrete). Street side a bit noisy, but no big deal.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dave H

Reviewed January 24, 2014

I just returned from a two week vacation in PV....where I stayed yet again at the San Marino....where I have stayed twice before.....
The hotel, while older, still maintains a high degree of friendly service and cleanliness for a 2.5 star hotel....but the most noticeable improvement since my last visit in 2009 was the food.....Chef Pedro has improved the food incredibly......and while some will still find the food not to their liking, I found it highly palatable, with always something tasty to be found in the buffet....so much so that my travel companion and I found ourselves staying in to eat three meals more often than not....a big saving of $$$.....Now the dessert area could still use a little improvement,(not that I need the calories) but overall the improvement in the food quality was most impressive. Indeed, a fellow guest remarked that we shouldn't mention the improvement so that we could keep the San Marino our "own little secret"...
The location still cant be beat, right in the heart of olde towne close to all that olde towne has to offer, as well as a few short steps to Los Muertos beach and the lovely new pier(though I miss the character of the old one and seeing the locals fish off it)
The hotel caters to all.....young, old, Nationals, gay and straight......and one of the great things about the San Marino is that we all seem to get along......helped in part by the wonderful staff: the ever smiling Luis and his crew at the front desk, Chef Pedro and the tireless kitchen staff, servers(Sergio, Alex, Felix et al), the new bartender Emmanuel, and the hardest workers of all, the chambermaids.
If you want five star luxury, go elsewhere....but if you want a decent, affordable and safe hotel that allows you to be in the heart of olde towne, I cant recommend the San Marino enough.

Room Tip: I have had good luck with rooms on the entrance side of the hotel....I would suggest a room near the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank HammyJ
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Picture this sitting under an umbrella, sun tanning having a few cervezas and people watching.
The beach walkway and new pier is right in front of the hotel and so is the public beach.
The hotel is situated around lots of little cafés, restaurants and stores. The staff is friendly treat you very good, the rooms are small, beds are firm, try to upgrade and get a beach view room the sunsets are great.
We will stay here again if we come back to Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: Rooms above the lobby are good, try to upgrade and get a beach view room
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mcalien
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I went back to the San Marino this past Thanksgiving for 10 days. I have been staying at this hotel over Thanksgiving for over 10 years and I am always welcomed back every year. The entire staff treats us like family every year that we return. We know everyone on a first name basis and them us as well. For the value and location, you can't find a better place to stay right on the beach centrally located to everything within walking distance. The all-inclusive serves me well for breakfast and lunch but I always make a point of going out to dinner at one of the many great restaurants in town. My recommendation for a room is ocean front; the sunsets are worth seeing every night. One is never the same as the other. I'll be going back again next year.

Room Tip: Get an ocean front room on one of the upper floors.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Murphy100904
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed here with a friend when I was just beginning to travel. Very good value with large clean rooms and a balcony. Location is on the beach in Old Vallarta. You can feel safe shopping during the day and the concierge made it his business to get us great seats in the clubs at night. I enjoyed this much more than staying in Nuevo. Very close to everything and a great starting point for your first few vacations. Food was fine, elevator was sketchy at best. Take the stairs, no big deal. I was scared to stay in a 2.5 star in Mexico, but after this I am not. This was waaaaaay better than a couple of Radisson’s I have stayed in Florida, USA, lol.

Great value/location for the price, don’t expect anything fancy or don’t stay in any Mexican 2.5 star 

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The whole place should be updated, everything seems old and the elevators smelled awful. The food was terrible, no whiskey and they had only one kind of beer.
Worst of all, their website claims this hotel to be gay friendly, and it certainly isn´t.
On the bright side, their location is pretty good.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank monica m
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have been coming to this property for several years and just love it.
It so happens that I remember guests from year to year which is just like coming home for the holidays.
The location of this property is the best if you want night life, and great restaurants. All sorts of bars are just out the back door, from great gay bars with pounding music and hot men, to little tavernas where you can go and have a relaxing time, to straight bars dotting the main strip.
My suggestion when booking is to pay more for a junior suite. The rooms are much larger, facing the water and pretty renovated with a great view of the pier. If you cannot book prior to going, call the hotel and pay the difference when you get there ... you won't regret it.rt.
The food is pretty good, and so are the drinks. My only problem is on weekends ... there seems to be a hotel full of locals, and with all their family members headed down for breakfast can be very loud and hard to get a table. I have nothing against locals, but they seem to be a bit more aggresive, and with their children running around makes it hard to have a conversation, or just relax.
The 2 pools are pretty nice, One for kids, and the other for adults.
The water .... to cold and dirty for me, but people watching at blue chairs is a must. The smell of tanning oil and attitude fills the sea air ... skimpy bathng suite, muscle maries, and twinks dot the scean.
Evenings can be filled with shows at the Blue Chairs, or checking out strippers at WET, bathhouse action at Adonis, and cocktails at la Maniana (probably misspelt) and dancing just around the corner at Paco, or the bar across the street. Finish everything off with tacos at 3AM at a taco stand.
My final suggestion ... BEWARE OF TAXI S (we had our luggage stolen) ... always make sure you see them put the luggage in the trunk and close the door before you get in. The taxi station is not the safest place to leave your luggage or bag, so always keep your eyes on them AND DON'T LET THEM TOUCH YOUR STUFF!!! . Take a taxi instead of the shuttle bus since you can check in sooner and get settled.

Room Tip: Get a junior suite ... more expensive, but totally worth it Ocean view, and pier view is beautiful...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple