“Great value for the money, good location”

Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Ranked #22 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Diego, California
“Great value for the money, good location”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I went to BV with 3 girlfriends over the fourth of July weekend. Overall, it was a great value for the money (3 nights, 4 days, for about $244 a person, all inclusive). The rooms are clean and comfortable, although for a four-person room they only provided three towels and three bottles of water. We called a few times to ask about a room service menu, extra towels, and adjusting the air, but never got any assistance. There was also a LOT of noise in the hallway all night long as other guests returned from the bars and continued the party. The hotel did nothing about this, and it definitely interfered with sleeping between midnight and 6am.

The location is good- close to the Malecon (about 6 blocks, or a 15 minute walk along the beach, from the first sculpture) but not right on it, and not surrounded by clubs. The beach in front is pretty empty, unlike the area south of the Malecon where there are lots of hotels and restaurants serving on the sand and vendors selling activities.

We didn't take advantage of all the activities, but they seemed fun. The water aerobics might not give the best workout, but the participants were having a good time. The instructor and activities director obviously loves his job! Also available are kayaks. The website says something about cooking lessons, but that is something they probably do pretty rarely (it wasn't on the schedule while we were there). The kids club looks great too- lots of stuff for kids to do.

The pools are clean, and there are plenty of chairs around the pool as well as on the beach.

The spa is excellent. We all got massages- 350 pesos for 1 hour- and they were well worth the money. Very relaxing, in a beautiful setting, and good pressure. The spa is upstairs from the pool, but you don't really notice the pool noise at all. There is also a hot tub up there which allows for two people at a time, max 30 minutes. It is pretty large, but I think they want to keep the noise to a minimum for guests receiving treatments. It also has a great view of Nuevo Vallarta and the beach.

The food in the buffet restaurant is so-so. There is an omelet chef during breakfast who will make whatever you like, and other items include (they were the same every day we were there, so I assume it's standard) chilaquiles, scrambled eggs, grilled peppers with onions and sausage, chopped up hot dogs with onions etc, breads, pancakes, french toast, cereal, and fruit (although it was covered in flies). We only went one time for dinner and it was Asian night- pretty horrible. Lots of cold rice and fried things.

The food in the beach front restaurant is mostly fantastic, especially at dinner. At lunch, the aquachile and fish tacos are excellent. At dinner (food included in all-inclusive, bottles of wine is not), options include stuffed fish, grilled fish, various kinds of chicken, arranchera steak, and chiopotle honey ribs (all delicious). The appetizers (ahi, mussels, cheese, mushrooms) are good, as are the salads. The desserts (chocolate 'tower', creme brule, or cheesecake) all leave much to be desired. NOTE: They say you need a dinner reservation, and they do 'book up' early, but we walked down to the restaurant one night and were able to be seated without a reservation- it was likely due to no-shows because of rain, but it's worth a shot if you haven't made a reservation.

During the day for lunch there is also an option of burgers or hot dogs on the beach. They're not bad, and good in a pinch, if you don't want to leave the beach.

The drinks are ok- pretty typical of an all-inclusive resort with everything being watered down and made with mixes. The included wine is pretty horrible (red, white, and champagne).

Pros:
- Food at the beach-front restaurant
- Price
- Location

Cons
- It seems to attract college students/young (teens to early 20s) travelers who like to party until the wee hours of the morning... often in the hallways!
- Quality of the drinks and buffet food

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room. There is no extra charge! The other side looks out onto a busy street. I...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank sdtosr
bv_grand_hotel, General Manager at Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear sdtosr from San Diego, California:

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. I assure you that we will work to improve the details you mention to make your experience better on your next stay.

Look forward to hosting you again soon!

Cordially,

Ronald Vega

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Sorry for the late review but i finally had a chance to sit down and write it.
I am a travel agent so customer service is a must for me. I have been staying at this resort off and on for 10 years and seen the changes all for the good. We last stayed here over halloween and prior to that in june for our honeymoon.
the minute you pull up the bellmen are there and remember you,even if you are new they are there with a smile and very helpful.
The concierge she is great with any assistance you need.
The resort is a smaller resort,but this is what gives it the ability to give you one on one service. The pool side waiters are amazing always remeber what you had the day before and your name.house keeping has always been great. I have stayed in oceanview with balconey and ocean front honeymoon suite with jacuzzi. The partial ocean view rooms are good all should have a balconey though so be aware if your room has one or not.The jacuzzi /honeymoon ocean front are great. Next time i would like to try the newer ocean front rooms on 4th floor their premium catgory.
Food- Breakfast is great many choices for all types
Lunch- Always something there too,good selection (I do miss the snack service that was available pool side but i hear a few guests ruined this as they left plates laying around everywhere) Dinner - Always good no matter which choice you made to eat at.
Romantic dinner in the tower for 2 is an extra charge but worth it you can also do it on the beach.
Please dont hesitate to go the service is by far the best.
Please remember to tip for good service

Room Tip: Best rooms are with balconey and or ocean front
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank kerri n
bv_grand_hotel, General Manager at Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear kerri n from Calgary, Canada:

Please receive my best regards and let me take the opportunity to thank you for the generous feedback. I am very pleased to read that you have enjoyed another visit to our Hotel; as you kindly mentioned, our constant effort is to provide our guests with the best service and highest level of comfort. I have shared your review with all my staff, who are the ones that really make the difference. We will keep up with the good work!

Look forward to hosting you again soon in your home away from home!

Truly yours,

Ronald Vega C
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed June 16, 2013

-The look
It was gorgeous!!! My husband, son, and I got an ocean view room and I called about a month in advance and asked for a room with a balcony, which we also had. The room was clean and fairly spacious. The pictures on their website do not really do the ocean access this hotel has justice. It is right on the beach and the beach at this hotel is beautiful! The pools are all great. The restaurants were also very nice.
-The staff
The staff really went out of their way to make our vacation great! From the time we checked in, I could tell they were going to be great! They were always friendly and accommodating. If you only speak English, do not be afraid! Almost everyone at this hotel speaks great English.
-Unorganized
Okay, we had a great vacation at this hotel, but these are the only complaints I have:
The kids' club is not very organized. We are not the kind of parents to want "babysitting" on vacation. We love him to experience everything, if not more than we do. Well, we looked at the activity calendars for the kids' club when we arrived and I let my son pick 2 (1 hour) activities a day he wanted to do. He picked "decorating masks" one day as the activity he wanted to do and when we went to the club, there was nobody to be found. It took 30 minutes of another hotel worker looking for her to discover she wasn't there. Finally, he did the activity with our son and he was great. I was very thankful for his help, but we felt bad because it wasn't his job. Another thing that was a little unorganized was their restaurants. One night, we made reservations at Rodisso and found that it wasn't inside where it said it was, but it was outside... We got sent here and there before discovering it was where the Sunset restaurant should be. Rodisso was great once we found it. Another night, I called to make reservations at Sunset Restaurant and they said that they were just having the Rodisso menu, so we went and did that again. It was great, but it was the same thing we had a few days before that. We never did get to try the Sunset Restaurant.
Overall, it was a great experience and I would stay here again because the staff were always willing to go out of their way to make things better for us. Thank you Buenaventura for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank breannj1988
bv_grand_hotel, General Manager at Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear breannj1988 from Hot Springs, Arkansas:

I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay in the Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your nice comments of the facilities and service, as well as your remark in regard to the organization in our kids' club and restaurants.

Looking forward to your return!

Best regards,
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I had the most amazing time and Buena aventura, from playing beach volleyball every morning, having absolutely wonderful service all day and then a quick short walk to the malecon at night. This review brings up so many wonderful memories I could go on for hours. The most memorable part of our stay would be the staff, I feel though as we made friends rather than being just a job to them. Mauricio and Jorge provided us with the most fun I could have possibly had on vacation, doing activities with us and taking us to all the busiest clubs and taking wonderful care of 4 girls you could ever ask for.. Eduardo for never letting our drink go empty and such a wonderful smile on his face, and Omar for feeding us every night and doing so, so kindly and genuinely we couldn't help but love him! So many more we cannot name, would reccomend this place in a heart beat, clean, great atmosphere, great food. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Morgancooper:

Thank you very much for posting your comments on regard to your recent stay in our Hotel. I have shared your posting with the hotel staff and we are thrilled to know that you had such an amazing time with us.

Look forward to hosting you again soon!

Cordially,
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our "family" of 8 just returned from a week at the Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa. My partner and I and our 5 girls (ages 14 to 21) travelled with our sister and had a wonderful time! I had read many reviews about this hotel prior to our trip and can honestly say that any negative comments only confirmed my belief that some people are just plain pretentious. This hotel was amazing!: rooms (spacious,stocked mini bar, clean), location (in the heart of Puerto Vallarta-easy walking to Malecon and nightclubs for our older daughters- who felt completely safe!), food (great buffet and a la carte restaurants), staff (dedicated, hardworking, engaging), beach (palapas, comfy beach chairs and nice sand- and yes it's on the Pacific Ocean!), activities volleyball/soccer/wateraerobics,karaoke -we did it all!) , spa (went 2 times for relaxing massages). Would go back in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: We had 4 rooms on the 2nd/3rd/4th floors. Some with oceanviews, some without. All were clean and per...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kelly h
Dear Kelly h from Kamloops, Canada:

I would like to express my gratitude for your kind comments and reflecting what Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa is about. I feel very pleased to read that you had the best holiday ever and that you enjoyed our location, facilities and services. Our ultimate goal is that our guests think of Buenaventura Grand as of their home away from home.

We hope we have the honor of welcoming you back soon!

Ronald Vega C
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have never written an on-line review before but I feel an obligation to write about this resort and our experience there. I travelled at the end of March/first part of April with my husband and two kids.

My number 1 complaint about this hotel is the mold. You can see it and you can definitely smell it. We had to move out of our first room on the first floor because of the mold. There were other issues with that room, such as the patio door not locking, the sink not draining, left over food in the mini-fridge from the previous guest and obvious sign of dirt. Our 2nd room was on the 3rd floor, still moldy but not as bad as the room on the first floor.

This resort is old. The pictures you see on line do not accurately reflect the actual resort. Everything is older, dirty, and much smaller than it appears in the pictures.

The in-room mini bar was restocked twice during our week visit. We called for water numerous times and were told each room is allowed 2 bottles per day...it didn't matter that we never actually got the 2 bottles every day. You can't get water at the restaurants bars either. There is an OXO just steps away from the hotel so we purchased water there.

Getting a bath towel is as difficult as getting a bottle of water. We had to call numerous times and by the third day of our trip, we finally got 3 bath towels (for our family of four). We resorted to using our beach towels for the first 3 days, which they usually run out of by mid/late afternoon.

There are 2 pools. Both small, both dirty. Both pools are over 4 ft, so not suitable for young children who aren't great swimmers.

The food/drinks were okay. You will likely find something you like. Breakfast is by far the best and the ready to order omelets were great. The location of the resort is great, but certainly does not outweigh the poor condition of the hotel. No snack bar, so if you want a bite to eat, you have to go and be seated.

The beach area is small as well and there is a strong undertow. Definitely not suitable for young children. Lots of vendors trying to sell you stuff but I didn't find them overly agressive.

Most of the staff in the restaurants are friendly and extremely hard-working. The front-of-the-hotel staff are always trying to get you to attend a time share meeting. Adan (if I recall his name correctly) asked us 2 or 3 times a day to go on a "tour" of the resort. We finally said yes because he said that's how he gets paid, and the first thing the "tour guide" told us was that, you know this isn't a tour, right??? They tried to sell us a time share for adult only resort, all while we walked around with our 6 and 7 year old! It was bizzare to say the least. As a thank you for going on this "tour", we were told we could have a free couple's massage. After the "tour", that couple's massage, turned into $40 OFF one massage. It was a waste of time and a joke.

I chose this resort based on cost and the reviews on this site. Yes, I read some of the bad reviews, but thought the good certainly outweighed the bad, HOWEVER, after staying at the Buenaventura, I feel obligated to warn others. This is NOT a nice resort. My suggestion is to spend a little more money and find another resort. If you are researching a resort in PV, please cross this resort off your list.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank IDF_13
bv_grand_hotel, General Manager at Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear IDF_13:

Thank you for letting us know your recent review about your stay in our hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not having fullfill your hotel expectations.

Even if we are located in a very humid región of Mexico, we are working very hard to control the humidity: turning on the A/C and using certain products to reduce levels.

Just to clarify, the apparent mold stain you found in your room floor is part of the marble type. Floors in rooms are under major cleanning and sanitizing treatment constantly.

We will follow up the lack of the mini bar restocked and beach towels with the involves.

Best Regards,

Ronald Vega C.
Reviewed May 9, 2013

A very nice hotel, nothing too spectacular but it has a nice view and have everything one on a vacation would want. The staff were the best, from Omar the busboy to Ademire and Apricot at the front desk and Jorge the activity staff. They made sure we had a great time and they took care of us. We really enjoyed hanging out with them. Also, we love the fact that there were so many locals there, it was nice to be somewhere different and not totally Americanized. Strongly recommend this place because of once again, Omar, Jorge, Adimire, and Apricot

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Syipip:

Thank you for taking a moment to post your nice contribution. We are thrilled to hear that our staff took good care of you and that you enjoyed your time here.

Looking forward to your return!

Best regards,