New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive

Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Ranked #27 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Hot Springs, Arkansas
“Beautiful hotel, Great staff, a little unorganized”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

-The look
It was gorgeous!!! My husband, son, and I got an ocean view room and I called about a month in advance and asked for a room with a balcony, which we also had. The room was clean and fairly spacious. The pictures on their website do not really do the ocean access this hotel has justice. It is right on the beach and the beach at this hotel is beautiful! The pools are all great. The restaurants were also very nice.
-The staff
The staff really went out of their way to make our vacation great! From the time we checked in, I could tell they were going to be great! They were always friendly and accommodating. If you only speak English, do not be afraid! Almost everyone at this hotel speaks great English.
-Unorganized
Okay, we had a great vacation at this hotel, but these are the only complaints I have:
The kids' club is not very organized. We are not the kind of parents to want "babysitting" on vacation. We love him to experience everything, if not more than we do. Well, we looked at the activity calendars for the kids' club when we arrived and I let my son pick 2 (1 hour) activities a day he wanted to do. He picked "decorating masks" one day as the activity he wanted to do and when we went to the club, there was nobody to be found. It took 30 minutes of another hotel worker looking for her to discover she wasn't there. Finally, he did the activity with our son and he was great. I was very thankful for his help, but we felt bad because it wasn't his job. Another thing that was a little unorganized was their restaurants. One night, we made reservations at Rodisso and found that it wasn't inside where it said it was, but it was outside... We got sent here and there before discovering it was where the Sunset restaurant should be. Rodisso was great once we found it. Another night, I called to make reservations at Sunset Restaurant and they said that they were just having the Rodisso menu, so we went and did that again. It was great, but it was the same thing we had a few days before that. We never did get to try the Sunset Restaurant.
Overall, it was a great experience and I would stay here again because the staff were always willing to go out of their way to make things better for us. Thank you Buenaventura for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank breannj1988
bv_grand_hotel, General Manager at Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear breannj1988 from Hot Springs, Arkansas:

I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay in the Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa. We appreciate your nice comments of the facilities and service, as well as your remark in regard to the organization in our kids' club and restaurants.

Looking forward to your return!

Best regards,
Ronald Vega

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I had the most amazing time and Buena aventura, from playing beach volleyball every morning, having absolutely wonderful service all day and then a quick short walk to the malecon at night. This review brings up so many wonderful memories I could go on for hours. The most memorable part of our stay would be the staff, I feel though as we made friends rather than being just a job to them. Mauricio and Jorge provided us with the most fun I could have possibly had on vacation, doing activities with us and taking us to all the busiest clubs and taking wonderful care of 4 girls you could ever ask for.. Eduardo for never letting our drink go empty and such a wonderful smile on his face, and Omar for feeding us every night and doing so, so kindly and genuinely we couldn't help but love him! So many more we cannot name, would reccomend this place in a heart beat, clean, great atmosphere, great food. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Morgancooper:

Thank you very much for posting your comments on regard to your recent stay in our Hotel. I have shared your posting with the hotel staff and we are thrilled to know that you had such an amazing time with us.

Look forward to hosting you again soon!

Cordially,
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Our "family" of 8 just returned from a week at the Buenaventura Grand Hotel and Spa. My partner and I and our 5 girls (ages 14 to 21) travelled with our sister and had a wonderful time! I had read many reviews about this hotel prior to our trip and can honestly say that any negative comments only confirmed my belief that some people are just plain pretentious. This hotel was amazing!: rooms (spacious,stocked mini bar, clean), location (in the heart of Puerto Vallarta-easy walking to Malecon and nightclubs for our older daughters- who felt completely safe!), food (great buffet and a la carte restaurants), staff (dedicated, hardworking, engaging), beach (palapas, comfy beach chairs and nice sand- and yes it's on the Pacific Ocean!), activities volleyball/soccer/wateraerobics,karaoke -we did it all!) , spa (went 2 times for relaxing massages). Would go back in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: We had 4 rooms on the 2nd/3rd/4th floors. Some with oceanviews, some without. All were clean and per...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kelly h
Dear Kelly h from Kamloops, Canada:

I would like to express my gratitude for your kind comments and reflecting what Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa is about. I feel very pleased to read that you had the best holiday ever and that you enjoyed our location, facilities and services. Our ultimate goal is that our guests think of Buenaventura Grand as of their home away from home.

We hope we have the honor of welcoming you back soon!

Ronald Vega C
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have never written an on-line review before but I feel an obligation to write about this resort and our experience there. I travelled at the end of March/first part of April with my husband and two kids.

My number 1 complaint about this hotel is the mold. You can see it and you can definitely smell it. We had to move out of our first room on the first floor because of the mold. There were other issues with that room, such as the patio door not locking, the sink not draining, left over food in the mini-fridge from the previous guest and obvious sign of dirt. Our 2nd room was on the 3rd floor, still moldy but not as bad as the room on the first floor.

This resort is old. The pictures you see on line do not accurately reflect the actual resort. Everything is older, dirty, and much smaller than it appears in the pictures.

The in-room mini bar was restocked twice during our week visit. We called for water numerous times and were told each room is allowed 2 bottles per day...it didn't matter that we never actually got the 2 bottles every day. You can't get water at the restaurants bars either. There is an OXO just steps away from the hotel so we purchased water there.

Getting a bath towel is as difficult as getting a bottle of water. We had to call numerous times and by the third day of our trip, we finally got 3 bath towels (for our family of four). We resorted to using our beach towels for the first 3 days, which they usually run out of by mid/late afternoon.

There are 2 pools. Both small, both dirty. Both pools are over 4 ft, so not suitable for young children who aren't great swimmers.

The food/drinks were okay. You will likely find something you like. Breakfast is by far the best and the ready to order omelets were great. The location of the resort is great, but certainly does not outweigh the poor condition of the hotel. No snack bar, so if you want a bite to eat, you have to go and be seated.

The beach area is small as well and there is a strong undertow. Definitely not suitable for young children. Lots of vendors trying to sell you stuff but I didn't find them overly agressive.

Most of the staff in the restaurants are friendly and extremely hard-working. The front-of-the-hotel staff are always trying to get you to attend a time share meeting. Adan (if I recall his name correctly) asked us 2 or 3 times a day to go on a "tour" of the resort. We finally said yes because he said that's how he gets paid, and the first thing the "tour guide" told us was that, you know this isn't a tour, right??? They tried to sell us a time share for adult only resort, all while we walked around with our 6 and 7 year old! It was bizzare to say the least. As a thank you for going on this "tour", we were told we could have a free couple's massage. After the "tour", that couple's massage, turned into $40 OFF one massage. It was a waste of time and a joke.

I chose this resort based on cost and the reviews on this site. Yes, I read some of the bad reviews, but thought the good certainly outweighed the bad, HOWEVER, after staying at the Buenaventura, I feel obligated to warn others. This is NOT a nice resort. My suggestion is to spend a little more money and find another resort. If you are researching a resort in PV, please cross this resort off your list.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
7 Thank IDF_13
bv_grand_hotel, General Manager at Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear IDF_13:

Thank you for letting us know your recent review about your stay in our hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not having fullfill your hotel expectations.

Even if we are located in a very humid región of Mexico, we are working very hard to control the humidity: turning on the A/C and using certain products to reduce levels.

Just to clarify, the apparent mold stain you found in your room floor is part of the marble type. Floors in rooms are under major cleanning and sanitizing treatment constantly.

We will follow up the lack of the mini bar restocked and beach towels with the involves.

Best Regards,

Ronald Vega C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

A very nice hotel, nothing too spectacular but it has a nice view and have everything one on a vacation would want. The staff were the best, from Omar the busboy to Ademire and Apricot at the front desk and Jorge the activity staff. They made sure we had a great time and they took care of us. We really enjoyed hanging out with them. Also, we love the fact that there were so many locals there, it was nice to be somewhere different and not totally Americanized. Strongly recommend this place because of once again, Omar, Jorge, Adimire, and Apricot

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Syipip:

Thank you for taking a moment to post your nice contribution. We are thrilled to hear that our staff took good care of you and that you enjoyed your time here.

Looking forward to your return!

Best regards,

oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Don't be out off by the un-impressive frontage! Behind a very bland facade opens up a huge airy atrium containing reception, lounge, and bar. We were checked in quickly, politely and efficiently, and were given a welcome drink. A concierge then explained the dining arrangements and we were whisked off to our room which yad all we needed, including air-con and mini-bar. Our room overlooked the side street, with a side-view of the ocean from our balcony, and so was quiet. Rooms overlooking the main road would be quite noisy.
The room, public areas hotel and grounds were kept immaculately clean. Linen and towels in your room are changed as often as you wish -daily if requested, every third day otherwise. The pool areas are very pleasant with plenty of loungers, though parasols are somewhat lacking.
The hotel's location is excellent - 15 mins drive from the airport, a 10 minute gentle stroll to the Malecon, and right by the beach - probably one of the best locations in town.
Food was always good. The buffets offered far more variety than we had anticipated and of good quality. The à la carte restaurants (which have to be booked daily between 9-12 for that evening) are probably not worth the effort. The Rodisso was quite good (though not as extensive in its meat choice as others we have been to), but the beachside Romantic Dining wasn't worth it from the food point of view - very mediocre the night we went and appallingly slow service (we sat for 30 mins before our order was even taken and it then took or ever to come. I later politely complained to reception and a young man took detailed notes, promising to raise my comments with the restaurant manager who would get back to me, though he didn't.) In future we would simply use the main restaurant which was perfectly good. Meal times were extensive.
We were on all-inclusive so all our drinks were included too. Alcohol is probably served by quantity rather than quality however.
Some reviews complain of 'too many locals' - but hey, this is Mexico and Mexicans go on holiday too! If you want only North Anercans, stay at home. Yes, there were lots of Mexican holiday-makers, but we took that as a good sign (locals rarely put up with bad food). And yes, one very small pool area (by the water loungers) was closed one day fom 3pm to allow staff to set up for a wedding. So we moved - no big deal!
Although checkout is noon, our flight didn't leave until the evening. But a polite request at the front desk ensured we kept our wrist bands (for food and drinks) until we left. The Bell boys locked our cases away and then made a room available to us bore departure where we could shower and change - well worth the $5 tip.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MikeyBOxford
Dear MikeyBOxford:

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent visit to the Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Spa.

We appreciate your positive comments about the hotel, and have also taken note of the more critical feedback, especially with regard to your dining experience and the service received in one of our restaurants. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that you suffered. I do hope that our other services were up to your satisfaction and that you had a good experience overall.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Vancouver,Bc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We were there April 28th 2913 to May 5th.

This was my 8th time to Mexico and his first -- I've been to PVR 6 times and stayed at the Palladium Vallarta, The Royal Decameron and the Riu Jalisco. The Buenaventura has had good reviews on trip advisor for years but frankly, I'm very disappointed with my experience and will not be back.

Check-in wasn't too bad but they are certainly not efficient for this being the low season. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived at 2pm but we expected that since check-in was at 3. Well, at 3 our hotel room wasn't ready and after a lot of waiting around they had to give us another room. Other people checking in with us and after us seemed to have the same issue.

Food was ok but the diversity was lacking..if you like your salad bad, forget it here (All other hotels I went to were great).

Expedia rates this hotel a 3.5 star and tripadvisor a 4..this is not a 4 and it is just that, a hotel. The RDC was a 3 star or 3.5 when I went and it was great.

We picked this hotel because it is a 7 minute walk from the Malecon and has had great reviews. I always wanted to try it ever since I first came to Mexico but now that I've tried it, I won't be coming back.

A couple of girls who had never been to PVR mentioned that there were more locals than she expected. The hotel wasn't busy at all for a few days and I frankly didn't care too much and never have whether locals were there or not. As the week went on, the hotel filled up and on Thursday it was full with mainly locals and it was impossible to exchange our beach towels because they had run out by late afternoon. This is clearly a hotel where the locals get away too (this being their national holiday weekend).

We chose a hotel room with ocean view to avoid the street side noise -- we would have been better served staying on the street side Friday and Saturday. There were 2 weddings on the beach and they had the music cranked up so loud that it disrupted all of the oceanview hotel rooms for approx 10 guests dancing (as I write this there are less than 10 and its 11:30pm..trying to get to sleep for our morning flight Is not happening!)

The hotel really has 2 pools and not 3. One main one where most kids play, one rectangular one where adults seem to hang out (not the adult pool) and another 'pool', that had built in lounge chairs that is only 1/2 meter deep (labeled adult pool).

On our last day there, they blocked the 'adult pool' as of 3 pm for the wedding and they had a birthday party with some 15 kids at the rectangular pool -- essentially forcing any adult who wanted peace and quiet to leave and go somewhere else. The pool looked absolutely disgusting to swim in by mid afternoon. We walked up to the main bar and were completely ignored and gave up and went to our room.

Drinks from the main pool bar or lobby bars were good. Don't bother getting me from the young man who handles the bar by the 'adult pool'.

They forgot to fill our fridge with water/beer one day so at 7pm I went by the front desk and asked if they could just put water. The front desk looked unimpressed with her own staff and said she would handle it -- we never got them. The next day, they never made our room but filled our fridge. Our room was never cleaned before 4pm on most days and most of to days they forgot the hand towels -- I pretty much gave up on any complaints at that point.

The beach is filled with merchants who will hassle you if you are anywhere near the each including while having dinner at the sunset restaurant. I'm used to merchants having been in PVR before but I guess staying at a hotel in town is that much worse. The annoying thing is that hotel security just lets the merchants walk up to people having dinner.

The beach (in water) is filled with smooth small rocks - and the water gets deep very fast. Just not a nice swimming beach overall but I think this would be the same for most hotels in downtown PVR.

The best staff were the ones who worked at the restaurants or got drink orders -- they were awesome.

I'm not picky. It's Mexico, I get it but there are some basic things that I think should be expected.

We will not be back. I thought we would try something different this time but I'll be going back to the Royal Decameron.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank eveck
Dear Eveck:

Thank you in advance for letting us know about your experience in our Hotel during your recent vacations.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

I have to admit that during those days with had the Kids Day Celebration in Mexico and most of the families took advantage of the holidays to visit Vallarta as well.

I am taking as more important issues to follow up from your review:
1- Check In process
2- Salad Bar variety
3- Supervision in Mini Bar daily supply.
4- Beach Towels supply during higher occupancies.
5- Increase Security presence in hotel beach area to avoid the vendors.

We are constantly working to improve in our services and some of this issues are part of our daily briefings, but I will take them again as main objetives to achieve.

I totally agreed with you that our main goals are definetely the hotel location and the staff service, like most of other guest recognize very often.

Apparently you didn´t like the size of our 4 swimming pools: main pool, family pool (the one you name rectangular), wet lounge chairs pool (adults only area) and the Brand new one, the kids pool. They are definetely all separed trying to acommodate all the guest's needs.

I would be more than glad to have you back in our hotel in any further visit to Puerto Vallarta, if you give us the opportunity to do our best for you.

You can reach our hotel contact in our web site.

Best Regards,