“Third Time Unlucky”

Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Ranked #26 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Third annual trip here just prior to Christmas. Not the same. No welcome back drink, letter or chocolate covered strawberries or towel animals and flowers like we got last year. Every day another Mexican 'Spring Break' type bus pulled in. The hotel catered to them, reserving the pool, the beach area for various special events they hosted. On top of that they drank until they were stupid and kept us up partying in the hallway. The Westjet rep said that for some reason Canadian bookings were down our week so they had to fill it up. The old staff are still fantastic. The food was good too. The pool area has improved for families, new wading pool and kid's indoor play area. However the beach hut is now on the beach and is much larger which blocks the ocean view from the pool. We will give them one last chance next year but hope they are reading these reviews. The location is simply the best. Walk to everything, shopping, free street entertainment, markets, Starbucks you name it. But honestly without all the special touches they used to do, it has become very average.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EliannaRiverside
Buenaventura G, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2016

Estimado cliente, agradecemos sus comentarios, son fundamentales para poder mejorar.
Dear guest, we thank your comments, we work on improving our services.

There are newer reviews for Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive

Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed for 3 days (departed January 5, 2013) of my life that I will never get back. I had low expectations before I checked in and they did their best to make it worse. My family and I stayed here with a large group of her family who live in Central Mexico. I have to admit that my wife's family enjoyed the place, but they have different expectations than I do. When we checked in, it was chaos. The suite I had asked for was not available. I actually blame that on the travel agent, not the hotel. After my wife chatting with the concierge in Spanish for an hour with no results, I had to blow a rod and they "upgraded" us to the VIP floor. What you say is the VIP floor? An upgraded hallway with key card access that has the hallway doors left open. Nothing else...... After the first day of crappy drinks, we notice the lobby bar had name brand liquors. We had to pay a daily fee for "select" services. This included better liquor and more menu options. Oops! When you ask for the "select" menu, you get blank stares..... After 2 failures asking for the menu, I had to light up the concierge who sold me the "select" option and the restaurant captain came scurrying over to verbally tell me the menu. He also gave us their best red wine which was still bad... Then they still made crappy drinks with better liquor. Wow... A couple of other comments... Nobody tells you that you have to make reservations for the dinner restaurants the day before or you are stuck the buffet.which is average and boring. So, you think you can relax by the pool and get away from it all? The problem is that they run out of towels by noon and don't get back in stock until 6 pm. Huh? In my room, there were no face towels, I ask the maid who says "5 minutes." I am still waiting as I check out 3 hours later. This hotel sucks for people who have any expectation of service. I would rather stay at a Super 8 on the interstate in Iowa during a snowstorm than ever come back to this property. You certainly get less than you pay for.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank JohnMichaelsDad

Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel was rated a 4, top should have been a 3. A little dated and run down, bathrooms did not work off main lobby, not enough locks for in room safes, and towels needed to be requested several times. Staff tried hard, but the facilities could not keep up. The room was clean, but the hallways were a mess with dirty dishes and garbage. Very noisy around pool, hallways and hotel, many children, not recommended for singles or couples without children. The food was average to poor, with not a lot of selection. The location is great, enables you to walk everywhere. With a little TLC and an upgrade on the food, this hotel might make a 4.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tracey175

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed over Christmas holiday and really enjoyed our stay. The food was great, and we enjoyed both the pool and the beach. The weather was amazing, hot and sunny all day everyday. Our room had a balcony, if you go spend the extra money for ocean front, it's worth it. This smaller resort feels cozy, and since everything is close you don't have to rush or plan in advance for meals or shows.

• Stayed: December 2012

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Travelocity may rate this hotel as 4 star, but it is 3.5 at best. It is an aging hotel and shows (smells) it. The service in the restaurants is excellent, but room services leave a lot to be desired. The hotel is family oriented, so lots of young children. If you book this hotel, do not use Travelocity. Even the Westjet representative rolled his eyes when I mentioned who we used as a booking agent.

Room Tip: You don't have a choice at this hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bowler154943

Reviewed December 27, 2012

In reading the good reviews of this hotel, I really expected more than it delivered. The hotels main asset is location, which is a definite plus. Our room was kinda rundown, stains all over the floor tiles/broken floor tiles. The room was quite loud, seemed like everyone in the hallway was walking by our bed yelling. I was very disappointed by the lack of activities/shows during the day and evenings. The staff that handle the events were really friendly and upbeat....i just felt like there was nothing to do other than sit by the pool. The hotel is very spanish oriented, which is fine....its in mexico afterall...i just wished that there was more of a english/spanish balance, 50/50 or so. I really only have one other hotel to compare this to in PV and thats the Golden Crown. I would stay at the GC again rather than staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank KellyTherrien

Reviewed December 21, 2012

My husband and I had a room with a balcony and a view to the ocean and to the courtyard area. This trip my daughter, son-in-law and their 10 month old baby also joined us. We have absolutely no complaints. The rooms were clean and neat. The service friendly and food acceptable. The room did smell a little musty when we first arrived, however it is our experience this is common in places that are right on the ocean. After the first couple of hours you do not even notice this. I'm not sure if that's because you get used to it or if it's because the place gets aired out. The pool was great as was having direct access to the sea. Also Buenaventura is very close to downtown and the sea walk.

For the price, it was very good value and I would stay here again if back in Puerto Vallarta.

The only real negative was that there were a couple weddings that took place during our week there. While the weddings were in swing, the pool side was crowded and access to the beach meant dancing around party goers, but alas, for us this was not a real problem.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family