“Loved, loved, loved this Hotel..”
Review of Tropicana Hotel

Tropicana Hotel
Ranked #55 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed February 3, 2010

The room we stayed in was a superior ocean view, room 322 in the older part of the hotel. It was fabulous!! Clean, cool, with the largest balcony I have ever had at any hotel. The view was stunning!! We even got to see the water spout right off our balcony, amazing!! Our room had one King bed and a Double bed. You could have a party in the bathroom shower it was so large. Always had hot water never ran out. The staff were always very friendly and helpful. On arrival our air conditioning did not work, we reported it to the desk on our way out and it was fixed by the time we got back. I was lucky enough to be able to pick up the free wireless internet on my balcony, so no need to go the the open air lobby to do so. As stated by others, the beds are hard, no big deal for us, mind you our bed at home felt like heaven the first night home!! The area in which the hotel is situated is outstanding, We walked all over the place, no need to take cabs unless you want to, they are very cheap! I would return here without hessitation, I would also recommend this to all of my friends. I am planning on returning to this hotel for our next visit... Don't think twice, book this hotel

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sh0velhead

Reviewed January 28, 2010

I hate to write this review because I don't want to have to compete with other travelers for rooms next year. This place is right on the beach in Old Town. You are surrounded by cobblestone streets and the cities best restaurants. 90% of all the rooms have a stunning ocean view. The service is superb the pool is nice, the restaurant and bar are both great. In my opinion the location is the best in the city, you can walk everywhere. Please note that you are not in an American hotel, this is a Mexican hotel but you are in Mexico after all. Just don't expect a Sheraton or even a Holiday Inn.
But the staff makes you feel at home and they treat you like gold. The rooms are spotless and there is satellite TV in the rooms and free wireless internet in the open air expansive lobby.
In the morning go out and pick out a palapa on the hotel's beach, a beach boy will bring you comfy lounge chairs and tables for the day, for the price of a tip. And the waitstaff will serve you all day on the beach.
The guests who travel here, do so year after year, so many of the returning guests know one another, and the atmosphere is extremely friendly and social. The employees have also all worked here for many years and greet you as friends. This is not a gay hotel but there are many gay travelers who stay here, especially from Canada. But there are lots of families from the states. We met one great family from Seattle, who have brought there kids here every Christmas for the last 14 years.
If you want a super bueno Mexican experience for a more than decent price but do not need all the bells and whistles of a Four Seasons or even a Marriott, stay here. You will be blown away.
But if you want to be totally pampered I will list the things that you might not like:
My bed was a feather bed but my roommates bed was really stiff and uncomfortable, so we asked the maids for several extra blankets to put under the sheets and "VOILA", his bed was just fine.
There is no wireless internet in the rooms.
The view is to die for. Trust me.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mpmoran
Reviewed January 24, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for two weeks. We had a beautiful balcony view of the ocean. The room is quite large and spacious. We had a kitchenette (fully equipped) air conditioning, large bathroom, good water pressure, great service.

We have travelled to Puerto Vallarta many time and this is a great hotel. It is right on the beach. They have approximately 50 Palapas (beach umbrellas) reserved only for hotel
guests. There is no need to hurry and reserve your chair, there is always room. They have a large pool which has a side which is great for kids. There are safety deposit boxes at the front check-in (we used them, very safe).

The beds are not the softest in the world, but this is mexico! Compared to our hotel last year (encino) this is the Ritz Carleton. Our room was two queen size beds. If you do not like firm beds, ask about this before checkin.

We will stay at this hotel again for sure. The only caution I would say is for the restaurant. It is very very basic. The breakfast buffet is....Gross, to say the least. If you
are by the pool or on the beach, they can bring you apps which are ok. The nachos are great as is the salsa. They are very cheap so the portions are not huge at all. There is
so much choice of food around this hotel, do let yourself be bothered with this issue, just beware.

You will be quite happy here, we were.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DandTCanada
Reviewed January 22, 2010

The room was very basic. The beds were hard as a rock (some like that, I didnt). The couches and chairs were uncomfortable. The rooms had a tv which was good for a movie at night if you didnt wanna go to a bar. If you get a room make sure its on the side of the hotel that has an elevator, when your hammered climbing 2 flights of stairs is like climbing a mountain. The best part was the restaurant/bar on the beach below the hotel. You could sit/lay on the beach and order from a large menu of food and drink. The service from the young men at this restaurant was amazing. I would get down to the beach at 11am and eat and drink like a king until 6. Those guys made my trip a lot more relaxing.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jax009
Reviewed January 14, 2010

Well, first thing that comes to mind are the beds. Unless you're used to sleeping on a concrete slab, I would suggest taking some cheap air mattresses with you! (Walmart, $19.99) Other than that one complaint, everything at the Tropicana is good.

When we first arrived, we were put in a cheesy room with useless air conditioners ready to fall out of the wall. I went down to the desk and asked why we were put in that particular area of the hotel. "because you booked cheap, you get cheap." (expedia) We were quick to pay the extra $20 per night to get upgraded to a very nice, superior oceanview in the new tower. Other than the beds, it was good. Wish there was a fridge though.

The pool area is decent and quiet. There is security there to make sure no stragglers come in. The beach was nice. Beware the vendors, they come running if you show any interest in them at all. There are some nice things for sale though. Don`t be afraid to barter with them, but don`t be too cheap cause that is thier livelihood. If you want deals, go shopping to the large flea market by the river. There is lots of competition there.

The restaurant at the hotel is very average. I would suggest wandering around the old town and checking out all the other wonderful restaurants. All are very good. The farther you get away from the tourist area, the better the prices.

We went on a safari tour, and it was wonderful. There is so much to see and do. Be adventurous! We`re bringing the kids next year. They`ll love it.

Happy travels!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lynxboss
Reviewed January 13, 2010

The hotel's location is excellent, right next to the gay beaches, bit not crowded like the other beaches. The staff was very nice and accomodating. The complimentary wireless in the lobby was an extra bonus. Each room is only given one key, but we all went to the key store and had two keys made for each room, about 80 cents for each key and well worth the convenience it created. The hotel had beautiful open lobby area and a nice pool, but nothing extraordinary. I was disappointed there was no hot tub, but for what we paid the amenities were more than ample. The price is right for this place considering its' excellent location, clean rooms and friendly staff. I stayed in room 121 and would ask for that room again, it was HUGE and had a gigantic bathroom as well, not like the other 6 rooms my friends had. The restaurant next door at the Blue Seas resport has an excellent breakfast and let s you reserve beach chairs, go there for breakfast and ask for a beach reservation, it's very nice. The only drawback is there is not direct access to the beach after 9pm, I suppose this is for security, but it makes going to the beach at night inconvenient since you have to walk the long way around on the street.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank DenverTravelGuy
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Our stay at the Tropicana was Dec 11-19 we stayed in the main part of the hotel on the 8th floor. Overlooking the ocean, which just was great. One thing I did noticed from our last trip in March 2009 and we stayed again in the main part of the hotel but on the 6th floor. They've painted and there are new mattresses., very clean and friendly staff. There was some reinvations going on in the lobby area but that was no problem for us. Will be returning in Jan 2010!!! See you then!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family