“Budget Traveler's Secret: "Economio Rooms"”
Review of Tropicana Hotel

Tropicana Hotel
Ranked #59 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Portland, Oregon
“Budget Traveler's Secret: "Economio Rooms"”
Reviewed October 26, 2009

I shouldn't be posting this review because the rooms I want will probably be taken from now on. First, a little bit about myself. I am a budget traveler. PVR was my final desitnation on a three week trip of Mexico. Up to this point I stayed at $20 -$25 per night budget hotels / hostels. I decided to splurge with a stay at the Tropicana. I had no reservations, asked for the Cheapest room. I got the "Economio" room for around $45 per night! Here's what you get. 3rd floor (in the main hotel) No ocean view. A window looking out to the hallway (with a breezeway nearby) another window looking back towards the mountain and homes & condos. Two queen size beds of acceptable comfort. Ceiling fans.NO A/C! (this may be an issue in the hot season - I was there in Feb, no problem. NO TV. Decent bathroom. Honestly, looking at the other photos on here, the room layout is identical to the regular rooms. You have no view and no TV. Big deal.
I spent most of my time on the beach, exploring the town, nightlife, etc. Why go to a tropical destination and spend time in your room?
A little bit about the hotel: Kind of dated, but clean and some friendly staff members. Located on the southern beach...the next two hotels are gay hotels and lots of gay men (who are paying top dollar at Blue Chairs and Something Horizons hotels) There are some gay men at Tropicana, but plenty of straight folks too (lots of friendly Canadians as well). If your gay and want to mingle with the guys at Blue Chairs, nobody is stopping you. You can just meander down to their area later in the day - and order drinks and hang out (^_^). The tropicana's pool is very nice too.
If your looking for a great budget alternative, with a GREAT beach at your fingertips, this is your best bet. I'm not sure if you can book the Economy rooms directly with the hotel by phone, but I bet you can. Enjoy! P.S. As a general rule..the further away from the beach, the cheaper things are. There are some GREAT seafood / Mexican restaurants a few blocks in (some near the river) that are affordable and very good.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank bartolino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Monterrey
Reviewed October 16, 2009

I recently celebrated my b-day at the Tropicana with a group of 30 people, friends & family. we had a fantastic time! The staff took excellent care of us and we were all very pleased. The hotel is located in the heart of old PV, the "romantic zone" and everything is in walking distance, safe to walk around too, I must add. I agree it could do with some remodeling. I would definately recomend this hotel to a friend who doesn't expect a resort but a wonderful experience and a true glance at the "real" PV. The beach is awsome too!

• Stayed October 2009
2 Thank gloriamunozc
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed October 8, 2009

Usually stay in the in new tower in the junior suites with nice balconies and beautiful views. Safe, clean, and friendly staff. Location is perfect.

• Stayed February 2009
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed September 8, 2009

Excellent location, great views. I booked a Superior Room, and it still had a rock hard bed, bad air conditioning, sewage smells in the room, no remote controls for the TVs. Front desk staff are uniquely and infuriatingly anti-hospitality oriented. When I arrived, made me walk several blocks to an internet cafe to print proof that I had paid Expedia, when they had a room full of computers right next to the front desk, and they would not have even had my name and reservation info if I had not paid Expedia! They also tried to charge me $20/night more for an extra person, even though there were only 2 of us, because my guest came a day later than I. They insisted, even after I produced the terms and conditions page showing the rate was for 2 guests, and pointed to the sign on the wall behind the front desk stating rates were for 1 or 2 persons, and reminded them that I had informed them of my guest when I checked in-- they did not care. Then, I asked to check out at 2 pm instead of noon, and they said no, unless I would pay half the nightly room rate for an extra day, even though the hotel was empty, and my staying an extra 2 hours was not going to mean they could not have rooms ready for incoming guests. Also, if we were still asleep when housekeeping came, the front desk began calling the room, and then just hang up when I answered. Nice way to disturb guests who are apparently sleeping too late for the staffs convenience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank QuinM

Travelers are raving about these Puerto Vallarta hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed July 12, 2009

The superior suites are nicely and newly redone. Hotel is located right on the beach in the Romantic Section of Old PV towards the south side of Los Muertos Beach just prior to the beginning of the hill leading to Vallarta Shores or Meza Del Mar. The hotel was in the process of installing 2 new elevators as of late Nov 2008 when I last stayed . The view was great the staff was friendly and there is inconvenient but free secure parking for about 20 cars. The only problem we had was the coffee pot in the kitchen did not work well. Everything else was great including 15 peso beer at the pool bar. FYI Hotel has two sections as of early 2009. Superior suites are what I would recommend if you can swing it as they are newly remodeled with new beds and furniture all pictures above are of Junior Suites. The other types of rooms have older beds, furniture, and may not have any ocean view . Most people on Tripadvisor are rating the older basic rooms. In the Superior Suites I found the new beds to be as comfortable as an average newer hotel bed. and the extra room with kitchenette was great.. By the vway the hotel issues wrist bands to hotel guests to wear for duration of stay which I consider a only a minor inconvenience.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank Russ-Parsons
Vancouver
Reviewed May 10, 2009

I booked the Tropicana as I knew other people would be staying there for the same wedding. The hotel ended up putting us all on the same floor which was unexpected because we had booked through different sources. The staff were very friendly and helpful, given that it was VERY slow in PV due to the Swine Flu scare, there was a high staff to guest ratio.

The room is basic - we had a standard on the 7th floor facing the beach (GREAT VIEW). It was clean and had all that we needed, bed, toilet, shower, balcony, a/c, ceiling fan. It was perfect for my partner and I as we didn't stay in our hotel rooms except to shower and sleep. The beds are hard, but so are many around the world in places that we have travelled to. No issues with security - none of our belongings went missing. Our friends that visited us that stayed at other hotels had no problems using the hotel amenities with us, granted we did hang out at the bar and beach and bought many cervezas. It wasn't a party hotel and we were never disturbed at night by any noise. The ocean view rooms were perfect to listen to waves while falling asleep at night.

The location was perfect as we walked everywhere in Viejo Vallarta, 15 minutes to everywhere that we needed to get to (food, bus, friends apartments) and easy access to the Malecon into Centro and beyond. My friend was able to connect to wireless in the lobby for free.

The value was great as we are both unwealthy students that visited Puerto Vallarta, we had everything that we needed and we felt very safe.

I want to bring the rest of my family back to stay at the Tropicana!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank trayho
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2009

I booked my trip to Puerto Vallarta and the Tropicana hotel as a last minute special 4 days before departure and got an amazing deal.
Keeping that in mind I wasnt expecting much in the way of accomodation and I was proven right!
The hotel is older and basic which is fine but the room assigned to me was an 'economy', which sucked. Take my advise and get an upgrade to 'standard' or 'deluxe' as the economy room has no view, except of an indoor corridor on the one side and another corridor on the other. No TV, No AC, just a ceiling fan thats not adjustable, a lamp without shade and beds with springs coming through. Bare minimum furniture; in other words: It is not a place where you would want to get romantic...!
The bathroom and floors had construcion dust which remained more or less the entire week.
The rooms are super noisy and because the curtains are sheer rather then room darkening you wake up early.
The positive things about the hotel is its location, walking distance to any restaurant, bar, nightclub which I loved and its also on a very nice beach with good waves for boogiebaording.
I lent my boogie board to a Mexican family with children but when I went inside the hotel to shower and came back the family including my board was gone. It left a sour note but I guess I was too naive thinking they would use it and then return it.
During Easter the hotel and beach was packed with local families enjoying themselves It was a super fun time and everyone was having a blast!
I would return to this hotel only if I could get a better room and even then only at a rock bottom price. The hotels around the same area all seem similar.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo