“Best value for location, beach, view.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tropicana Hotel

Tropicana Hotel
Ranked #59 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
A TripAdvisor Member
“Best value for location, beach, view.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2005

I just got back from a few days' stay at the Tropicana with my 9 year old daughter. We relocated from the Westin (in the Marina area), having grown tired of its remoteness, its $9 margaritas and its unswimmable beach. By contrast, the Tropicana is on the best swimming beach in PV. Most of the rooms have great direct views of the waves. The staff is friendly and helpful. Oddly the stretch of beach in front of the hotel is the least crowded along Playa de Los Muertos. We always got a nice palapa with chairs (along with reasonably priced food and drink service) and had a direct view of the water, unobstructed by a multitude of parasols, etc. as elsewhere along that beach. Having my daughter with me, I opted for the modern tower because I wanted two beds and a TV (the older room that was available had only a king size bed and no TV, but did offer a more spectacular direct sea view). The turtle pond in the lobby area delighted my daughter, and the pool was nice and big too, with hardly anyone ever using it (maybe it's more crowded in mid-winter). You can't beat the location, as all the neat restaurants, coffee spots and bars in the romantic zone are five minutes away, and the malecon is only a little bit farther. The room itself was basic but clean. The a/c unit was as loud as a European bus. I joked in Spanish to the porter that they should borrow one of the beds and refit it as a billiard table. I swear you could easily bounce a tennis ball off the mattress! (I'll admit the bed was one thing I missed from the Westin.) Still, with all the great things to do nearby, my daughter and I never had any trouble falling asleep, even on our cement mattresses. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2005
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2005

We stayed at the Tropicana hotel for a week in March 2005 and we loved it. The meals were great and the room was always clean. The staff was the best. It was within walking distance of old PVR. I would deffinantly stay there again. Was a great price for the value.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2005

My nephew (14 yr) and I stayed at the Tropicana for a week in March/05, thanks to the information found in reviews like this one. Happily, the opinions of others that contributed to my choice, turned out to be valid. When we arrived, I immediately upgraded to a superior room in order to secure an ocean view. The room rate included cable tv which helped to occupy my nephew after a full day of activities when all I wanted to do was to be still. The beds and pillows were barely adequate but once we learned to sleep with the pounding of that amazing surf in our heads, we were fine. The location is the best part of staying at the Tropicana.... right on ocean, close to the Malecon, away from the resorts, and within a stones throw of the best shopping in town including markets and stalls. Despite the lovely marble foyer, the hotel has seen better days, however the staff were helpful and professional. The daily trek to the central safety deposit box was a drag but it offered an opportunity to interact with the staff which was always pleasant. I would choose a more isolated part of Mexico for my next visit, since I never have to shop again after discovering Safari Accents, a shop nearby, but I would recommend the Tropicana for the tourist who wants a clean, safe, and economical environment with the ocean, fabulous restaurants, and great shopping just yards away. One day, we took a local bus to a Nuevo Vallarta 'world class' shopping mall and found the same stuff for twice the price in a sterile, 'white' space. The experience was fun but the shopping was a bust.

Michele & Paul

22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2005

Positives: This hotel is located in a gay-friendly area which was perfect for my lover and I.
We booked a superior room in the new tower with a king size bed and had a full ocean view. It was clean, very spacious and I loved the shower that could fit four comfortably! Oh, the water pressure was great
The water was safe to drink/brush teeth with. A large water container was located at end of hall on each floor and we were provided with a jug and drinking glasses.
The maid cleaned very well, mopped and changed the sheets every day. The hotel did not run out of towels, wash rags, etc.
I must rebutt what other reviews complained about. Yes, there was a cement bed base, but it did not affect the mattress. The mattress itself was about five inches thick and was just extremely firm.
The staff was friendly, helpful and courteous.
The safes in the front desk area were great to use for our valuables.
The hotel is located in an area where you will walk by many restaurants, stores, etc on your way to downtown; which was literally a short walk (10-15 minutes) away.
All clubs, restaurants, stores, etc. literally within walking distance - from 1 minute away to 15 minutes away.
You must try Le Bistrot restaurant, Kit Kat and Pipi's. Also the Cuban restuarant (forget the name) on the Malecon is a must do!
Negatives: None at all, except I'm not a beach person, so it must be spectacular for me to enjoy it. The beach was accessible to everyone - locals, dogs, vendors, etc - just too much for me. Not to mention the water was not clear and def not enough sand space to accomodate everyone!

22 Thank avidtraveler38
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at the Tropicana (March 7-14, 2005). We were lured to the Tropicana by reading the Reviews (thank you Trip Advisor). We truly enjoyed our stay and it was more than we expected. The service is very friendly and the staff is very accommodating.

We enjoyed the location as it was close to everything. Although we walked for miles looking for cetain restaurants, we definitely had a workout as the street sidewalks there are very narrow and even dangerous if you don't look where you are going. You almost have to walk with your head down as there are many obstacles you can bump into and lots of steps. This hotel is quiet so if you like to party you will have to go to the Hotel zone where there is more party action, bars, etc.

The rooms are average; the beach is fabulous and the grounds are beautiful and well taken care of.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2005

Just returned from our second visit (Feb 25-Mar 4) and I'm sure we'll return for a third. Here's the score for this year:

Check-in: front desk seems more organized than before, and we arrived around 9pm.

Room: standard room #626 (oldest tower), full beach view, TV this time, with full cable! Couldn't figure out how to operate the ceiling fan, but didn't need it anyway. A/C worked but didn't need that either. There was no hot water one afternoon and yes, sometimes you had to flush the toilet 2-3 times. We had nice sheets and towels the first day, then we got threadbare towels, then we had ok ones after that. Then we had nice sheets and pilled pillowcases. But oy the mattresses! We took turns sleeping in the twin bed as it was better than the double, but by Day 4 we were fine.

Breakfast: was actually edible this time, piles of fresh fruit and fresh orange juice every morning. There was even decent coffee one day! Just don't expect them to always be ready for 8am as posted, particularly on a Monday.

Beach service: no problems with towels, there were always piles on hand, whether 11 am, 1pm, or 5pm. I do, however, despise the practise of 'saving' beach spots/chairs. I would watch people doing this before 8am and then not showing up until noon, and then only for a few hours. How selfish and rude! That was the reason we spent all our time down at the green chairs farther south.

As for the gay thing... Helloooo? Let's just say the staff are friendly, but some are 'friendlier' than others... However this is Mexico, and certain customs still apply to everyone, gay or straight. Public displays of overt affection/passion (aka necking) are reserved for the darker corners of parks and plazas in the evening. And yes the Tropicana no longer appears on the gay maps/guides, but there is a reason for this: in the 'off' summer season, Mexican families come to PV to escape the heat inland and stay at places like the Tropicana. This conforms with the fact that some 'gay' bars and clubs actually become 'straight'(er) in their programming during the summer. Everybody has to make a buck when the gringos go home. I can't fault the Tropicana for not wanting to be pigeonholed. Just one look around the restaurant at breakfast proves it is an extremely hospitable establishment, and I noted not one arched eyebrow during either of our stays there. Viva la Tropicana!

• Stayed February 2005
14 Thank arcturus46
Vancouver, British Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2005

The location was perfect. Within walking distant of all restaurants and shops. Our room was located overlooking the beach so it was gorgeous but quite noisy from the waves. The beds were very uncomfortable. The staff were on the most part friendly. Overall it's a beautiful hotel. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed February 2005