“Happy with the hotel and location”
Review of Tropicana Hotel

Tropicana Hotel
Ranked #58 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We checked in on a Sunday afternoon and we weren't to happy with the 2 full beds when we had requested a king. Monday morning went to the management and she had a room that had "just opened up". Very Nice room #222 over looking the pool and on out to the beach. King with a bonus full bed also. nice bathroom the whole room looked newly renivated. It had two balconies with large sliding doors which we left wide open the rest of our stay (4 more days). The grounds were exceptional
well groomed and the staff was very attentive. Yes, the bed was hard but hey thats what you get in Mexico. The food in the restaurant was good but we prefer 'going into town'. There are numerous good places to eat within a 10 min walk. The beach is very nice and the hotel has their own palapas under which they
will place beach chairs for you. All in all it was a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 16, 2009

Great value. Clean hotel located directly on the beach. Easy to get around the area, can walk to the Malecon. Lots of good restaurants close by. Pool was fabulous - we opted to hang out there rather than the beach - too much competition for the beach chairs. The housekeeper was meticulous about our room - we tipped her $2 every day and maybe that helped. Room smelled of cigarette smoke, but there are a lot of smokers in PV - not sure you can request a non-smoking room. Wasn't bad enough to ask to moved. Had heard about the hard beds in Mexico and started to laugh when I sat down on our bed. You could actually set a glass of water on the bed with no fear of it spilling. Beds didn't give us any back issues - we actually slept very well. Air conditioner didn't work, but not a problem it was cool enough at night to sleep. We ate breakfast at the on-site restaurant one morning - it was not good enough to eat there again. Bit overpriced.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2009

For a budget hotel it is clean and has a great location right on the beach but the hard beds ruined the entire trip. I really have never slept on a more uncomfortable bed. Think of a concrete slab with the thinnest possible mattress pad covering it. My entire body ached for days after I got home. I definately would not stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009
5  Thank dgs1950
Reviewed January 11, 2009

We have been to Puerto Vallarta several times and by far this was the best hotel we've stayed in. We went with 3 other gay couples and most were happy with their rooms. We booked a superior room and had an end room, on the 5th floor facing the ocean. Room 550. I've attached a picture of the view from our room. Some friends were on the first floor directly below us and their view was not as pleasing, overlooking the dumpsters.

The staff was very pleasant. The housekeeper was very nice and helpful, leaving extra towels in the room every time we asked. We did not try the restaurant at the hotel because we were at the beach all day, every day at Ritmos next to the Blue Chairs. Great food and service there.

My suggestion is to call ahead of time and request a higher floored ocean front room. It'll be worth the long distance charge. Room 450, 550, or 650 would be perfect.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank arice0814
Reviewed January 7, 2009

A good friend of ours, part of a large group of friends down for new years was staying for a couple of nights at the end of our trip. On the day we were leaving to go to the Airport, our friend suggested that we shower and change at the hotel before heading to the airport as we had all checked out of our hotels. We entered from the beach and was rudely told by security that there could be NO guests in the room whatsoever. When our friend asked for an explaination he offered nothing and refused to let us in!
Our friend and the three of us walked past the security guard and he ran after us and called more security. It was ridiculous! Our friend went to the front desk and they refused us entry to his room. We ended up changing somewhere else, waited for him to come down and we left for the aiport.
So let me get this straight, If i have friends or family members staying elsewhere and I invite them over,the Tropicana would not allow them into my room? How is this possible? If this is truly this hotels policy I would suggest finding a better hotel.
I truly believe we were denied access to the hotel because we were four men coming from beach. The Tropicana is dead in the center of GAY puerto vallarta. If you are not looking for a gay vacation, I would suggest another hotel.Oh, and by the way, the rooms suck and the beds are awful.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank CDNtravelguy67
Reviewed December 25, 2008

just got back from puerto vallarta. stayed by myself for 2 days then was joined by family. great hotel very clean, great location,staff was very friendly and helpful. also found a great restaurant La Distilleria had 10 piece marachi band great food.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank willaNewJersey
Reviewed December 14, 2008

My husband can speak spanish and we called this hotel directly. We got a better price doing it this way. Upon arrival they had us down for the wrong days but they fixed it and took us to our room. We were very early for check in. The room had been made up and was clean, it had a great view of the ocean. Now, dont get me wrong the place is nothing to talk about but it was cheap. The temp in the shower was fine the sink worked fine, and the toliet was fine. There was really no musty smell in the room. The airconditioner work well. I think there is a stop on the airconditioner because we tried to make it cooler and it would cool only to a certain point. I think this is because when it gets really hot and muggy there that they have already figured out the perfect setting. We just ran the air at night and left the sliding door open when we were in the room and it was fine. The front desk people were so nice about directions and answering questions. The house keeper always said hi to us and she was working hard. She kept our room clean so we tipped her a couple of dollars. I even saw her working at night cleaning the elevator! The beds were fine one was hard and the other was soft but firm. I always check for evidence of bed bugs on the mattresses (black in the folds of the mattress or blood drops) I noticed that the mattress was old but no evidence of bed bugs. the linens are old and worn out but clean. They were working on another part of the hotel when we were there but we could only hear it when we were outside our room. They were painting and fixing some of the tile at the pool. It was alittle noisey but I understand that they were getting ready for high season. We have to keep in mind that the sea water coming off the ocean does a number on the buildings and paint they have to paint all the time. We ate breakfast at the resturant there and it was fast and tasted good. We also had lunch and it was good. We did go 2 blocks down from the hotel to la palapas for breakfast and it was fancier and very good. There is a little market almost right across the road from the hotel but beware the sunscreen is $13.00-30.00 USD very steep. We asked why it was so high she couldnt tell us. I had a drink at poolside that had ice in it and we never got sick but we did buy a case of bottled water and drank that NOT the tap water. There are lots of venders that come up to you on the beach if you buy something then they all come over you cant really relax but I got some really good deals on silver so I didnt care the rest of the time we laid out by the pool (pool is clean) We went on the nigileto canopy tour and it was great we were the only ones. The guides were awsome. We went to the Sea Life Park and swam with the dolphins (that was great) and swam with the sealions (not so great my hubby got bit, see Sea Life Park Puerto Vallarta review). The area where our hotel is is very gay friendly. We are straight and no one bothered us. There is lots of good places to eat around the hotel dont be afraid to walk at night it is safe. PV has special tourist police that are at every other corner to help you out if you have a question. Make sure you go to La palapas in the bar area Raul sings and he sounds like sting and or the Gypsey Kings guy he is awsome...The drinks are good but expensive but it is worth listening to Raul. The food there is good too! Make sure you go to River Cafe you can walk the Malecon to the Cule River turn right off of the bridge and you will see all kinds of venders down there keep walking straight until you see River Cafe on the right side they have live music that is ok . The resturant is well worth the extra money. Water was cold in ocean and beach was fine.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple