“October visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #62 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
akron
“October visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at Tropicana again in Oct. the new pool was open, which we watched them build at Christmas. This time we stayed in tower and had beautiful view with nice little patio. Last time we had oceanfront view, the patio was small with cement wall, you had to be standing for view. Once again our stay was great, and we took first time visitors to Mexico. They were delighted. Our beach waiters were great and we had a wonderful time. Going back in Jan. for 3 wks! The rooms are clean and with a mattress topper we slept great. If you spend a lot of time in room, might not be for you, we only sleep in room. You can go out front door and turn right to ocean front restaurants that are delicious, don't be afraid of the shrimp on a stick, just get it directly from the stand, rather than from the guys walking around with it. You are only minutes away from old PVR with restaurants and shops, this place could not be more perfectly located. We love PVR and Tropicana!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lucyAkron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Cornwall, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Second time at Tropicana hotel and always had excellent service with the most friendly staff. We were their for two week at the end of February and last august and got the junior suit. Large clean room with a kitchen and large patio with ocean front. Can't ask for better. We were at other hotels in the area and this is the one that we like the most. Can't forget, the bed are very comfortable and lots of water pressure in the shower.

Room Tip: High floors.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Bluemarcus
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I've stayed here now 3 times in 5 years. We get a Jr Suite each time. About $110/night when converted. 2 double beds. Very firm as noted. I think I'm getting used to them. The room is sort of like a double hotel room with a narrow balcony running the length. There is no one between our view and the ocean. There are 2 plastic chairs and a plastic side table outside.

This is a simple place. Please keep your expectations in line. This is not a new fancy hotel. It is not a 4 Points Sheraton. It is not Nuevo Vallarta. But the rooms and grounds are kept clean, the views are great, and I have found the staff to be friendly, helpful and efficient. I have seen the same staff over all the years.

They have added a 2nd pool since the last time we stayed. It's right by the first one and has a nice shallow sunning area. The pools aren't heated, so they can be cool in early March.

Wifi as noted is only in the lobby area. I didn't have problems with it, but I wasn't on it much. Most restaurants also have free wifi, so I would log on at Dee's coffee or wherever.

The TV channels are mostly in Spanish, even the US-based (CNN, ESPN). So we didn't hear much news from TV. Oh well, there's an ocean to keep us occupied. :o)

I also feel the drinks are light-- and somewhat pricey. So I usually would get beer. The waiters learn who you are and generally take quite good care of you. Same with the people selling fish or pastries on the beach.

This is generally not a party hotel and the beach is generally quiet at night. However, I learned that the two weeks around Easter are the time of Mexican holidays and many Mexicans come on vacation. The staff alerted me that this time is busier and noisier. So you may want to consider other times. You can hear music from the Blue Chairs, but I never heard this after about 8pm. We had our windows open every night.

The location is great -- right in the old town, with restaurants within walking distance. In 10 days, we never took a cab. So much to see walking along the Malecon.

If you are looking for a sanitized, upscale resort experience, this place will disappoint. However, if you understand what this place offers, I think you may enjoy it as much as we do.

Room Tip: Go higher if possible, and make sure you get ocean front. Some rooms are an inside courtroom.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank smcg720
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

I selected this hotel, despite some not-terribly-serious complaints by reviewers, due to location, location, location, to which I say avoid, avoid, avoid.

I have stayed at dozens of hotels in Mexico...this was perhaps the worst.

1) beds with cushions like wood and pillows like cinder blocks
2) no Wifi, and the supposed WiFi in the lobby seldom works
3) breakfasts inedible (dry eggs, beans like paste, soggy cold toast, coffee like nescafe
4) surly, humorless reception staff
5) NOISY as I have never experienced--blasting music from the beach and pool area from 9 a.m to midnight
6) broken t.v. which took me 3 days to get replaced
7) beach chairs were "reserved" by guests by 8 a.m., and then often never used by anyone

Yes, the location was convenient but the rest was pure excrement.

(P.S. Restaurant and housekeeping staff generally were nice and helpful)

Room Tip: I don't believe there are any good rooms here--I asked others.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jordon50
Laramie, Wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

For those of us that don't travel outside of the United States to feel like we're still there, this is a lovely hotel at a very reasonable price! The staff was friendly and the service was good. Beds in Puerto Vallarta are pretty hard so we asked for an eggshell pad and it was delivered immediately. It's situated in the "Romantic" Zone which is a 15 minute walk from downtown and surrounded by a friendly and lovely neighborhood where making "friends" is very easy. You must be aware that the area is a known vacation spot for the gay community but we all "share" quite well! The only negative I found was the fact that messages left for us were not passed on.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Barb1123
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Spent 5 days at the Tropicana and was extremely pleased with the hotel and the cleanliness/maintenance. The staff could not be more helpful and friendly. All the reviews here are perfectly accurate when they say the beds are cement-hard. But oceanfront location and spotless cleanliness are noteworthy. I prefer the Zona Romantica to the newer parts of PV, which are very touristy and look like Miami Beach. I traveled in a group and most of the group who were in larger, whitewater-view rooms (i.e. look down the beach) complained of noise from garbage trucks arriving early in the morning. My mid-building view across the pool to the ocean could only hear the waves!

Room Tip: Rooms at either end of the hotel can be very noisy from garbage trucks collecting bottles and the li...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank LAChuck7
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in 2009. I travel solo.
This hotel has a great location.5 minute walk to restsurants and a 10 minute walk to malecon.
My room looked out to los muertos beach and the best sunset.
My room was perfect for me. A balcony large closet clean bathroom.
The only thing it lacked was a small fridge.
The pool area is very nice as is the beach.
There is a nice bar near the pool.
I would definitly stay there again if i did not live here now

• Stayed November 2012