“Avoid Avoid Avoid”
Review of Tropicana Hotel

Tropicana Hotel
Ranked #55 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I selected this hotel, despite some not-terribly-serious complaints by reviewers, due to location, location, location, to which I say avoid, avoid, avoid.

I have stayed at dozens of hotels in Mexico...this was perhaps the worst.

1) beds with cushions like wood and pillows like cinder blocks
2) no Wifi, and the supposed WiFi in the lobby seldom works
3) breakfasts inedible (dry eggs, beans like paste, soggy cold toast, coffee like nescafe
4) surly, humorless reception staff
5) NOISY as I have never experienced--blasting music from the beach and pool area from 9 a.m to midnight
6) broken t.v. which took me 3 days to get replaced
7) beach chairs were "reserved" by guests by 8 a.m., and then often never used by anyone

Yes, the location was convenient but the rest was pure excrement.

(P.S. Restaurant and housekeeping staff generally were nice and helpful)

Room Tip: I don't believe there are any good rooms here--I asked others.
3  Thank Jordon50

Reviewed March 28, 2013

For those of us that don't travel outside of the United States to feel like we're still there, this is a lovely hotel at a very reasonable price! The staff was friendly and the service was good. Beds in Puerto Vallarta are pretty hard so we asked for an eggshell pad and it was delivered immediately. It's situated in the "Romantic" Zone which is a 15 minute walk from downtown and surrounded by a friendly and lovely neighborhood where making "friends" is very easy. You must be aware that the area is a known vacation spot for the gay community but we all "share" quite well! The only negative I found was the fact that messages left for us were not passed on.

4  Thank Barb1123
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Spent 5 days at the Tropicana and was extremely pleased with the hotel and the cleanliness/maintenance. The staff could not be more helpful and friendly. All the reviews here are perfectly accurate when they say the beds are cement-hard. But oceanfront location and spotless cleanliness are noteworthy. I prefer the Zona Romantica to the newer parts of PV, which are very touristy and look like Miami Beach. I traveled in a group and most of the group who were in larger, whitewater-view rooms (i.e. look down the beach) complained of noise from garbage trucks arriving early in the morning. My mid-building view across the pool to the ocean could only hear the waves!

Room Tip: Rooms at either end of the hotel can be very noisy from garbage trucks collecting bottles and the li...
2  Thank LAChuck7
Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in 2009. I travel solo.
This hotel has a great location.5 minute walk to restsurants and a 10 minute walk to malecon.
My room looked out to los muertos beach and the best sunset.
My room was perfect for me. A balcony large closet clean bathroom.
The only thing it lacked was a small fridge.
The pool area is very nice as is the beach.
There is a nice bar near the pool.
I would definitly stay there again if i did not live here now

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank barbj
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The location to "Blue Chairs", "Green Chairs", and "Lido Beach Club" is perfect. Very easy walk into "Zona Romantica" and Olas Altas street also. Don't book here expecting a Hilton or Sheraton. The rooms are clean, large, and most with very nice views. As others have mentioned, the beds are rock hard. Request a "foam pad" at check-in as it will help slightly. We stayed in a Jr. Suite which has a small, but full kitchen with appliances, blender, coffee maker, fridge, stove, utensils (no microwave though). Most of the unit including the bathroom is a bit dated, but again all very clean and functional.

The Tropicana grounds are beautiful. 2 wonderful pools which were never crowded. The pool attendant was pleasant and available. Location on the beach is perfect for my partner and myself. The staff here is good and pleasant. Remember it's Mexico, so don't expect things "right now". It's a slower pace here. Taxi's are available in the lobby and the attendants will tell you how much to expect to pay, so no rip-off's like when you just grab a cab on the street. Like other reviews mention there is no WiFi in the rooms only in the lobby. The WiFi can also be slow when there is a crowd in the lobby using it. There were some using Skype occasionally which really slowed it down. I have to agree that it's 2013 and Tropicana should improve their internet service thoughout the hotel. I would gladly even pay a reasonable charge to have it in my room.

There is a pool bar area, which also serves breakfast and lunch. We never ate here as we always head to Mega Store upon arrival for our breakfast stuff and cook it in the room. Lunch we always have on the beach at Lido Beach Club.

Our Jr. Suite was slightly over $100. US per night ($1400. peso's). BARGAIN. We were on the 5th floor and our room could not see the pool, but a beautiful view of the ocean. I believe a room on the 7th floor may see the pool. I/we will definitely stay here again based on price, location, and cleanliness. We gave our cleaning lady $10. per day, (up front) and she was great with extra towels and doing our dishes, etc.

2  Thank naperguy12
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was here with friends for the second year in a row. I got lucky this year with a room and balcony on the ocean side.Hotel is in walking distance to everything.The price is right considering the hardest mattress I've ever slept on.Friends rooms mattress have improved so next year may be better.Beach is great and watching parasails is entertaining and scary at same time.I would not bother with all inclusive as restaurants are great in walking distance.

Room Tip: If your room is not what you prefer ask to change right away.
3  Thank barowner
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Hotel Tropicana in Puerto Vallarta is a great value right on the beach! I had a room with an incredible view of the hotel's beautiful pool area and beach. It was so nice falling asleep each evening to the sound of the Pacific. The rooms (in the newer tower) are very nice and clean. The bathroom was good (great water pressure in the shower), and the towels were plentiful and good. There was great closet and drawer space. A very nice touch: a pitcher of purified water was replenished daily. The housekeeping, front desk, and bell staffs were very professional and friendly. The on-site restaurant is convenient, but there are many wonderful restaurants within a short walk. Would I recommend the Hotel Tropicana: most definitely! Would I stay there another time: I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Stay in the "newer" tower.
2  Thank WDTBear