“Beautiful hotel, awesome pools, horrible wifi”
Review of Tropicana Hotel

Tropicana Hotel
Ranked #59 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights with some friends, in total we had 5 seperate rooms spanning the 3 categories the hotel has. We booked the superior room (middle class) which was fine, decent size with 2 double beds and a very dark bathroom. Room faced the ocean but there was another building infront of us at same height so view of ocean was distant. Asked to move to another room as they said on check-in we could if we wern't happy. Next room was in right building facing directly onto ocean, absolutely beautiful! Room was actually nicer furnished aswell and bathroom nice and bright. Beds are pretty firm. There are two pools with plenty of deckchairs. Poolside service of drinks and food is actually pretty cheap around $2 a beer and $5 for most food. Happy hour 5-6. The hotel has permanent umbrellas on beach but these get taken pretty quickly. Room was also booked for 1 person despite having 2 beds. On check-in they noticed there were 2 people in the room so charged an additional 200p per night which was annoying. Also the wifi doesn't work anywhere in the hotel, not even in the lobby where the router is. Can be frustraiting if you want to contact back home. Lots of gays stay here too (good for me but just letting u know)

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Shannonluke

Reviewed March 9, 2012

The hotel has been a landmark in Zona Romantica for ages and sadly is starting to age and not very gracefully. The staff is a melange of go-getters and forgetters. The go getters will bend over backwards to satisfy their guest while the forgetters seem to care less about their guests. The most frustrating things were the futile attempts to get the waiters to bring coffee and the infuriating issue with the internet or lack thereof. The rooms were always clean and tidy although my wife's numerous attempts to get the maid to leave facecloths seemed to fall on deaf ears. Although when you are a hotelier with a property that is at capacity constantly why would you go that extra mile.

Room Tip: try for rooms 220-222 or 320-322 best value for the peso
3  Thank Doc4623
Reviewed March 8, 2012

This was our 6th stay at the Tropicana, and once again we had a wonderful time. This year the hotel has done some major renovations including attention to rooms in the old part of the hotel and a new pool next to the old one. The hotel is located on Playa Los Muertos, close to all that Old Town has to offer. The staff is helpful and friendly, the rooms are dated, but spotless. The beds are hard, but manageable. The view from the balcony unparalleled especially on the upper floors. The only concern I have is the water temperature fluctuates in the shower from comfortable to uncomfortably hot. Over the years I've become used to it, but can be a nasty shock. The Tropicana is like an old dowager... showing her age, but still the best hotel to stay at in PV.

Room Tip: Get your beach towels when you check in, and change them every day coming back from the beach. That...
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have stayed at the Tropicana two times. March 2011, and March 2012. I would go back again, but the staff seems tired and careless. There is a problem obtaining keys to the room. Several guests I noticed had similar problems with the front desk. I was given only one key to our room, my travelling companion had to wait three days until they found another key. Our room did not face the ocean, they charged us extra to switch rooms even though I had arranged previously for an ocean view. I noticed the front desk staff seemed to like to give the guests a hard time, just for a laugh and amusement. We were also told by the partical jokerster towel guy, that our luggage could not be found, while another staff member told us he had our bags underneath his desk the whole time, Not amusing! The staff would speak in Spanish to each other, if you asked them a question, even though they knew English. I just found that the whole vacation experience was lacking, due to the uncaring and unobliging attitude~ especially from the front desk and managers. It was kind of, if your tv remote did not work, too bad, If you lost a reciept too bad, and Any way they could make money from any "mistake" and charge you extra, they will delight in that and delight in purposely making their guests upset. It seemed like it was funny to them, I had witnessed so many stressed guests at the front desk, actually yelling , and I just thought, well there IS definitely a problem here with staff. I will say the housecleaning ladies were good, everything was swept and cleaned with pride. The hotel needs a handyman, wires are exposed in rooms, water pressure bad with flushing toliets, locks on the doors very shakey, every door has visual signs of being kicked in at some point. The hotel security was tight, rude in fact even if you met your dinner guests in the lobby! they were giving you a hard time. One guest actually got very angry and loud calling the place a Jail, when his friends met him for dinner and were interogated. He arranged a sit down meeting the next day with the manager and commented afterwards, they would not even give him eye contact or a good morning afterward. I really was put off with the way the Tropicana Hotel treats the guests. I recognized some of the staff from my stay one year prior, and I think overall they are tired and in need of some team building and social skills, or be Reminded of that. The location of the hotel is good. They added a new swimming pool in addition to the old one, which is very nice. The place is not luxtury by any means, but the sunsets and ocean view make it lovely. The turtle pond is well looked after, and plants and catus give a real flair. There is a great mile long boardwalk five minutes down the street along the beach, with eateries, local artists, sandcastles, shopping, and culture. I like the cobblestone and old buildings. It all has a raw edge and is a feast for a decorative eye, with so much creativity and colour. Prices at the nicer restaurants can be about fifty dollars each, but there are many many places to eat for around ten dollars. Puerto Vallarta has a lot to offer, I discovered more on my second visit. I might chance the Tropicana again for an average priced stay, get the breakfast plan, it is adequate, but dine out elsewhere. You will have to get used to having people constinately bother you to sell you everything under the sun, once that established, everything will just come to You.

Room Tip: There are four poolside rooms, no elevator waiting, seemed ideal. Be firm about ocean view, and ask...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jim B
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Well, like any holiday...you have to know what you like! The Tropicana is in a perfect location for me!

The hotel's back door makes a great beach area, available. With lots of umbrellas and chairs. Sitting on the beach is a great experience. There is lots of Local venders that try to sell you things (jewelry, hats, beaded necklaces, sunglasses, cooked fish & shrimp, popcorn, ice cream, foot, massages and WONDERFUL pastries). My last day there we seen whales & dophins siiting on the beach! I really do Love mixing with the locals on the beach. They are not allowed in the Hotel, so don't worry about that.

The front door gives you access to "Old Puerto Vallarta" which is only 2 blocks away.There are many GREAT restaraunts very close to the Tropicana. We ate at 8 different ones and were totally delighted each time. The food is Awesome. And the SUNSETS are AWESOME.
The holel and grounds are very clean and the staff is very obliging and helpful. It is not a huge hotel, so the staff gets to know you quite well. The beds I found quite comfortable, but on the firm side if you like a soft bed. The chamber maids are great, never was any of my personal effects touched! We always left a good tip for her, the sheets were changed every day!

The Malecon is a fantastic walk from the hotel and very beautiful (3 miles or so to the end & back to hotel). There is lots of shopping in Puerto Vallarta, compared to lots of other places. Its definately not hard to find the perfect keepsake to bring home. Walk the Malecon late afternoon and find a place for supper, then watch the sunset....great way to end any day!

The worst thing was the internet service was rather flaky and hard to load. But there is a few places rather close with internet service..Like Dee's Coffee shop (2 blocks away). It to bad the Hotel has updated their internet service!!!

You may ask "Would I go back to Puerto Vallarta"? The answer would be "Yes, it was a Great, Relaxing holiday"!

Ask yourself "Do I want to go on a holiday and Experience Local Mexico"? Or do "I want to go to Mexico and be pampered at a posh All inclusive Resort"? If You answered yes to the First question.......go to The Tropicana! If you want Total Pampering, this is not the hotel for you!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We recently returned from a 5 night stay at this hotel. We had booked a standard room, but, after seeing the 1st room which was right opposite the elevator, reeking of smoke and very shabby, I asked for another one. This one appeared a little better until we returned after dark and found the lights didn't work. Only the bathroom light worked, we sat in the dark all evening. There was also a large pool of water in the bathroom from the leaking toilet.
I did report the problem, but, never heard another word. We moved to junior suite for the rest of the stay, which we paid more for. We were never offered any discount for the night with no lights. The front desk staff did not go out of their way to be friendly or accommodating.

The beds are hard as a rock, there are no amenities that are mostly standard in other hotels, like kleenex, hair dryers, decent towels. It was decently cleaned and tidied by the maid everyday. The pools were lovely and the beach was great. The security on the beach, in particular Marcella, was very helpful and pleasant. We did not eat there at all.

Location was very good. Just a short walk to the Malecon and lots of restaurants, shopping, etc.

If you choose to go make sure you upgrade ahead of time.

Room Tip: Upgrade. Most rooms have an ocean view, but, ask anyway.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank KristieNovaScotia
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I can not understand how this hotel gets a 3 star rating. It is one of the worst I have ever stayed in. The shower backed up, toilet paper coming up the drain, the water would turn to scalding hot and back several times every shower. No clock, no remote, no iron or ironing board, no ice bucket, no vending machines on property to buy water, pop or misc. nor a gift shop for incidentals. One restaurant (patio). No entertainment. No business center or computer you could use. Our telephone did not work. A rock hard bed, with a moldy shower. Housekeeping came in the room, even with the do not disturb on the door. Blood on the sheets the first night. 3 Star???? In the US, it would not be open.

7  Thank CANDY7777