Tropicana Hotel
$195
$321
$299
Bookit.com
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$307
$250
  • Beachfront
Velas Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$375
$286
  • Breakfast included
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$432
$140
  • Pool
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$242
$197
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$159
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
Casa Velas(Puerto Vallarta)
$500
$422
Bookit.com
All reviewssuperior roomromantic zoneocean vieweconomy roomstyrofoam coolerblue chairszona romanticaon los muertos beachbreakfast includedrooms are basicnew towerbeach serviceolder hotelrefried beanslocation was perfectrestaurants and shopsbeach chairs
Reviewed May 17, 2011

We had an huge junior suite, but the space was mostly in the living area. Furnishings were old and worn and not comfortable. The beds were so hard i lifted up the sheet to see if was an actual mattress.
That said, i really enjoyed the location on the beach close to fun nightlife and great shops and food. Their pool is nice and the pool/beach servers were terrific as were the drinks.
Our air conditioning simply didn't work. There was one unit which didn't even work when we closed off the bedroom. The living area had slotted glass windows which couldnt be closed so there would be no point to aircondition that room. Afternoons and early evening were darn hot.

Room Tip: bring a bed and you'll be fine
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank 8020workfun
Reviewed April 16, 2011

Stayed at the Tropicana for two weeks in April. While this is an older Mexican style hotel the location and service make up for the age of the facility. The rooms were spotless and kept that way daily during our stay. The staff were continually cleaning the entire facility day and night. The service was top notch. The food and drink reasonable. All the staff were friendly and helpful. We loved the location as it is close to old town and the so called "Romantic Zone". We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. Lots of great bars and restaurants nearby. We did the breakfast included package which was fine but I think as an all inclusive the menu might be a bit limited.

Room Tip: Superior room, nice as opposed to courtyard view.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank budgettravelers2
Reviewed April 15, 2011

I needed a quick getaway where I could just relax and get a bit of writing done. I had seen this hotel many times on previous trips and was curious to try it. I'm so glad I did.
I booked a superior room via expedia. It was located in the new tower, facing south. The view over the pool and looking south down the coast was gorgeous. The room itself (543) was spotless - I mean spotless. I wore white socks on the tiles and they picked up no dirt. Filtered water provided in the hall and my pitcher refilled daily. Large closet.

I can't vouch for the standard rooms. The building they are in is older, but from what I could see they looked like they had similar amenities. The building itself was not as charming as that housing the superior rooms, however.

The room had some minor issues, but none that bothered me in the least. The air conditioning could be loud - but cold (I didn't use it much), the finish was chipping off the faucet in the sink. Mattress was firm, but I had no problems with it. These sorts of things are very typical for Puerto Vallarta hotels. I could hear my neighbors on their balconies at times, but everyone was respectful and not a problem.

The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and typical old style Puerto Vallarta. The entrance is dramatic and the grounds have lots of stairs and arched courtyards and open air lobbies and restaurants. Restaurant food was fine, nothing special. Grounds immaculate. The hotel has a dedicated beach with palapas and I think bar service. I never used it, however.

Staff was friendly and helpful and someone was always around.

I got a kick out of the reviewer complaining that the lobby is in the basement! Hysterical. The hotel is built into a hillside, so you go down a lovely staircase to level lower than the street entrance. However, reception area is open and airy and opens out the pool and restaurants and beach area. Not my idea of a basement, but oh well.

I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Book a superior room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank AlbertTravel
Reviewed April 9, 2011

Had been to Puerto Vallarta a month ago and stayed at an all inclusive resort near the marina. Was o.k, but I realized there was more to discover in Old Town Vallarta (downtown area). So, after lots of research on Tripadvisor, I found Tropicana hotel and would stay there again without hesitation. This hotel is not all inclusive and is rated 2.5 stars but would be fair to rate it 3 stars simply for the service and cleanliness and fantastic location. I was able to book a junior suite for an amazing discount because it was low season. Huge room with kitchen and big bathroom with lots of hot water and great water pressure too! The best part...full, unobstructed ocean view. This hotel has other room categories that are more basic but the junior suites are a worthy upgrade. If you love being able to walk right out the front door of the hotel onto cobblestone streets, with endless choice of restaurants and cafes...then this i perfect for you.
The service was always polite and very personable...maybe because it was half empty, but it is a smaller hotel anyway, so it felt cozy and relaxed. The pool is super clean and if you order food and drinks, they are very affordable. I notice most of the reviews of this hotel are very positive and it seems most people are so surprised that a 2.5 star hotel could be so great. Well, it is true. Please, if you discover the gem that this place is too, keep it our little secret.

Room Tip: email hotel directly for rates
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank fun_in_sun37
Reviewed March 31, 2011

We spent a long weekend at this hotel. The location and proximity to restaurants and old town, malecon is excellent as both are a short walk away. The hotel complex is spread out and has beautiful grounds and a nice beach front. Unfortunately, the rooms are not only dated but sub-par for the hotel rating. It should be a 2.5-3* hotel where the rooms are concerned. The rooms have a tiny bathroom and ok sized room with a double and twin bed. No king beds available. Basic amenities as a hairdryer, shampoo conditioner, iron, safe which are basic to a 4* hotel worldwide and in Mexico are not available. They have 1 hairdryer at the front desk which you can ask for. The room has a balcony with great views. The furniture and linen in the rooms is dated. It needs a major overhaul and it will be a great place to stay. Also, the lobby on the basement floor is a bad idea, takes away the 1st good impression. The service is ok, nothing to brag about. Free wifi in the lobby area only.

The overall stay was ok since we were there for a short time only. We have stayed in several 3-5* hotels in Mexico for years so have something to compare to and am not just complaining! If you keep low expectations you might like it. The pool is nice as is the location of its 1 restaurant where we ate breakfast daily. Rooms definitely need an upgrade soon to maintain a 4 star rating.

Room Tip: Higher floor, ocean front in main tower.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple