“Good Mexican style hotel”

Hotel Posada de Roger
Ranked #18 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
New Mexico
“Good Mexican style hotel”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel pretty much matched my expectations. Our room was large, clean, and had plenty of hot water. The decor was rustic and worn around the edges. It really could use some redecoration. But the location of the hotel so near the beach and lots of good places to eat is excellent. The street noise mostly went away by midnight and being on the third floor we really were not bothered by it.

The ground floor restaurant provided us with some of the best breakfasts we had during our 3 weeks in Mexico.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank astrobob
posadaroger, Manager at Hotel Posada de Roger, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments, we appreciate them very much.
We are actually in the proccess of remodeling the hotel and also upgrading some furniture and mattresses, everything has been done little by little but already have many changes done. We hope that on your next visit these changes will be complete and ready for your enjoyement.
We are glad your stay was pleasant.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2013

First of all, I would like to say that staff is efficient and doing their best to make your stay as good as possible. The hotel is also very clean and very well located. Some clients seemed to be regulars.

BUT - The hotel is rundown. I've done many trips around the world and this is probably the worst place I've been to. The first room I was in was simply a closet in the back corner of the yard. It was noisy and had no daylight. The smell of detergent was so strong when I arrived my eyes were tearing. And it wasn't really possible to air the room since no air was coming in. I asked to change room, and they did after a few days because I was told the hotel was full (though it had a vacancy sign on the door). The second room was better and bigger but still far from, in my view, the 4 stars I had read in the reviews (far far far from it!). At least, in the new room, I couldn't hear all the noise anymore. The beds were uncomfortable in both rooms and made my back hurt. (I don't have a back problem...) Bathrooms were very basic and outdated. Toilet wasn't working properly in the first room. And shower leaked in the bedroom in the second. It also took a while before you got any hot water. I couldn't see a lady stay in the room since the mirrors were simply not practical.

Some friends wouldn't believe me so I had them visit the room. They totally agreed with my review of the hotel.

Remember you have to leave a deposit for everything (keys, remote control, security box, etc.). 20 pesos here, 100 pesos there, etc. Advice: give your credit card number, it will make things simpler.

Would I recommend the place? No, for a few dollars more in PV you can get a lot more and you will still be travelling on a budget. I had chosen this hotel based on the reviews and I don't think they are neutral. As said before, this hotel is not near 4 stars, at most it would be a 2 or 2.5 stars because of the state of the rooms, the level on (no) luxury.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank 4mydogalice
posadaroger, Manager at Hotel Posada de Roger, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Good afternoon,
We appreciate your comments and would like to let you know that we as a Hotel, always try to satisfy our guest needs and as you can see we do have several reviews that can testify to that.
At the moment we are still in process of remodeling all of our mattresses. Most of our rooms already have them and we also have extra bed padding for extra comfort, you can request them at the front desk. We are sorry to hear your stay wasn't as expected but we are a 3 star hotel not a 4 star hotel nor luxurious.
We do recognize we have a great location, near restaurants, bars, the beach and malecon but it can also mean a little more noise. It is important to mention though that we do have very quiet rooms, you can request them and we will do our best to reserve them for you.
Norris Point, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Having stayed here in 2012, we decided on our return visit to PV to stay here again. Why wouldn't we? The room was more than adequate, the price was really good value for this area, the location is perfect for us -- just a short walk to the beach, and some of the best restaurants in PV are literally across the street. The people who work here are just wonderful -- always very helpful, courteous and friendly. If we return to PV next year -- and we hope to -- we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
posadaroger, Manager at Hotel Posada de Roger, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments,each and every comment is very helpful and appreciated. we hope to have you back soon as well !
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had a very good experience at the Posada de Roger. I didn't want to spend too much and I wanted to be in the heart of the Zona Romantica near my favourite restaurants and near the beach but not on it. The Posada is a comfortable, clean hotel, with really nice staff. I could rent a small fridge from them for $5 a day -- I liked that.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
posadaroger, Owner at Hotel Posada de Roger, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments. As you mentioned, we are two blocks away from the beach and near many restaurants. This is a great advantage for us but can also mean a little more noise, make sure to request a quiet room when reserving and we will make sure to get that for you. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to have you back soon!
Framingham, MA
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely stay at the Hotel Posada de Roger. Our room was comfortable (and when I mentioned the bed was a little too hard, they immediately put an egg foam pad underneath the sheets). Wonderful authentic courtyard which I will paint, simple but fine pool to cool off in, and enjoyed the community kitchen where I met others and could make my own breakfast. Wonderful location!
Nan Hass Feldman

Room Tip: I liked the rooms facing the street, because they also faced the pool as well.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
posadaroger, Manager at Hotel Posada de Roger, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments, as you mentioned, if you feel you need more comfort we have extra bed padding for a better night sleep, ask for them at the front desk. We have put new mattresses in most of our rooms and soon all rooms will have new ones.
We would love a picture of the painting !
We are glad your enjoyed your stay and we hope to have you back soon!
Regards
Boulder, CO
Reviewed March 5, 2013

i just returned from Puerto Vallarta and stayed at Posada de Roger, while it is still a dump, they have fixed it up a bit with LCD TV's and A/C that is new and quiet, but overall still a step or two below a Motel 8. I was there 3 nights and had to move twice, the first time I knew about, but the second night I was put in a smoking room where the owner manager told me after one stinky long night that they had a guest who smoked and stayed for 3 months. ( Would have been nice to know beforehand vs. some casual smoker in there for a few days??) He then said he should have replaced the mattress....Duh! The next move was to above the courtyard, noisy until about 11:00. I have been here before and kindly refer to it as Hotel El Dumpo to my friend who insists on staying here. Staff is friendly, helpful, but the place is neatly painted to hold some of the bricks and mortar together. Maybe for the price in PV it is a deal, but I doubt it. Oh yeah, did they offer to comp the smoking room night, no way, here is $5.00 off. Go Figure?

Room Tip: You want to be away from the courtyard.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 1sophiez
posadaroger, Manager at Hotel Posada de Roger, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Good Afternoon,
We are very sorry to hear that your stay was not pleasant, it is clear that you and your friend have very different preferences and maybe the next time it would be a good idea to reserve on your own.

When your friend David made the reservation for you we clearly explained to him that the hotel was full and that the only condition, for you to stay, was if you switched rooms once or twice, to which your friend agreed and said he'll let you know ( probably he didn't )

Also we would like to note that the day before you switched rooms, we told you clearly that it was a corner room and we suggested you to check the room beforehand , we also gave you the option to help you find another accomodation in a hotel nearby, but your friend convinced you to stay with us.

The next day we asked you again to check the room and after you did it you agreed to stay.

As a Hotel, we always try to accomplish our guests requests and needs and the several reviews that you can read on trip advisor, can testify that we are a nice three stars mexican hotel and we have never tried to decieve our coustomers into thinking that we are a higher star rated hotel.
Have an excelent day.
san francisco
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just got back from another stay at Roger, and, as always, it was perfect. When you go to Vallarta, you make a choice: fabulous condo or hotel? Beach or in the hills? With this hotel, you get a clean, friendly, inexpensive hotel a few blocks from the beach and near a lot of the best bars and restaurants. It's in Zona Romantica, which is hands-down the best area to stay in PV.

The hotel is basic, but not too basic. They have wi-fi, safes at the desk, AC and ceiling fans. Some rooms have tiny balconies. The upper area has a good pool and a bunch of decks for sunning or recovering. The area by the front desk has a cute garden area with a fountain. Importantly, there's a good solid breakfast place attached, Freddy's Tucan, which is a god-send if you had too many margaritas the night before.

The staff is nothing but friendly and accommodating, and the housekeepers do a wonderful job of keeping the rooms clean.

The hotel isn't for everyone. It isn't a four star by any means. There can be a bit of street noise, and someone somewhere nearby has a rooster that won't shut-up. I wouldn't recommend it for a honeymoon or something. But if you're looking for a clean, comfortable place to toss your flip-flops in while you explore PV, this is the place.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are best. If a little street noise is a problem, ask for rooms in the back.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank marybanilow
posadaroger, Owner at Hotel Posada de Roger, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
We thank you for your wonderful comments, we do have a big advantage which is our location but as you say, there can be a little more noise also. We do have rooms however far from the noise, make sure to request them if thats what you prefer.
We strive every day to better our services and it is wonderful to know it is paying off.
We appreciate your comments and we hope to have you back soon!