Wow. This is THE trickiest review I've ever written for Trip Advisor. Here's how my recent stay went over 6 nights.
My partner and I arrived and were greeted by Orlando. PLEASE give him a raise! Not only was he efficient, but he was very helpful, extremely friendly and spoke EXCELLENT English. He was the best contact we had during our stay! He checked us in and we went to our room (#107). We were surprised to find the door OPEN, but we now know why.
It had a VERY strong smell of mold/mildew. I have learned a valuable life lesson: we should have said something IMMEDIATELY! After 2 nights, I finally spoke to Juan Carlos (another terrific guy...he also allowed me to print our boarding passes for the return flight!). He said that they could get us a new room, but we'd have to do it in the morning. So, we spent a third night in the room and by then my (and, to a lesser degree, my partners) allergies were really acting up.
I spoke to one of the managers (Dario...another great guy) the next morning & told him our situation. Within 1 hour, we had a new room (#208). WHAT A DIFFERENCE! As soon as we walked in, we could tell that there was no obvious mold/mildew smell. The only unfortunate thing was the bed. It was comfortable, but VERY small for 2 people (I'm 5'9" and my partner is 5'10", and we both weigh under 165 lbs., so it's not like we are large people). It made for 3 nights of not-as-good-as-we-would-have-liked sleep. At least the room didn't smell. Unfortunately for me, the damage was done. I've been home for 3 days now & my allergies are still bothering me and I'm convinced it's because of the mold.
I will tell you that after we switched rooms, they had the mattress and bed frame in the (adorable) courtyard. I don't know what they did or could do. As we walked by it (about 10 feet away), we could smell the mold! It was rather strong. My partner smelled the dresser and door when we were in the room and you could REALLY notice it then. Our guess is that with all of the heat & humidity, it just permeates the wood & doesn't leave. I would personally throw out the dresser and wash the room with bleach. It really was that bad.
On a more positive note, the location, in the heart of the Zona Romantica, was EXCELLENT. MANY great shops & restaurants within walking distance and only a few blocks from the beach. The attached restaurant, Fredy Tucan (only open for breakfast & lunch...review to follow this one) was EXCELLENT! Both of the A/C units worked VERY well in our rooms. Clean bathrooms (my "average" rating of cleanliness below had to do with the mold), no bugs (we had one TINY gecko in our first room, but it was fine). FIRM, but (to us) comfortable mattresses.
This IS a budget hotel with some good qualities to it. If, however, we were to ever go back to PV, we would look for another place. Hard to recommend with the mold and (second) small mattress.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a real Mexican-style hotel in downtown Puerto Vallarta, surrounded by beautiful gardens and authentic Mexican architecture. Our personalized service, always cordial and efficient, assures that you will return home with a smile on your face!We are located one block from the main beach in old town, 2 minutes walk to the malecon 'the sea walk', and 20 minutes to the International Airport.We are very close to shopping areas, markets, internet cafes, as well as to other services to make your vacations simply perfect. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Hotel Posada de Roger reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Posada Roger Puerto Vallarta
- Posada Roger Hotel Puerto Vallarta