“Quaint authentic Mexican Hotel”
Review of Los Arcos Suites

Los Arcos Suites
Ranked #21 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Absolutely loved this hotel located on a side street, half a block from the main Hotel (Playa Los Arcos, Olas Atlas 380, PV). Everything was top-notch and exceeded my expections. A great value for the price.

I had no problem checking in a little early (~ 1 PM). The staff spoke English much better than my broken Spanish. The room (Jr. Suite) was clean, authentic Mexican, a wonderful King-sized comfortable bed (firm, yet soft for sleeping), and two (2) fold-out queen sized sofa sleepers (I did not use nor open these). A nice little veranda with two plastic chairs and a table for morning coffee. Shower only, plenty of hot water although I had to let it run the first morning as I got up late (10.30). And the a/c worked great!

Convenient little kitchenette with 2 burner electric stove, college dormitory style fridge (kept my half-litre water bottles nice and cold), coffee maker, pots & pans, plates, cups and bowls. Oddly enough, I did not find any utensils, but I didn't look too hard either.

Guests at the Suites may also use the facilities of the sister hotels (Playa Los Arcos and Casa Dona Susana). Great larger pool at Playa Los Arcos opens up onto the beach with plenty of sun all day long and a great restaurant. Every other night typical local music is played in the restaurant for your listening pleasure.

The location is perfectly situated in the middle of the Romantic Zone in old (Puerto) Vallarta within easy walking distance of the beach (a block and a half) and the Melecon (Boardwalk); a coffee shop where ex-pats gather to chat, exchange paperback books and play games; local restaurants (Chinese, Italian, Joe Jack's, Contemporary European/Austrian, the Pancake house, and the absolute best Tacos al Pastor at Tacos Panchos on Basilio Badillo). Santander Bank has a location two (2) blocks away on Olas Altas (exchange money WITH A PASSPORT) or numerous Casas de Cambio in the area that pay a slightly lower rate but are open longer hours and DO NOT require your Passport. The hotel probably exchanges money, but I never inquired. Numerous corner stores (Oxxo) for little snacks and such are in the area.

If you want to experience a typical authentic Mexican hotel with great friendly attentive staff, this is your place. If you want a North American style luxurious resort, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank LonestarGumby

Reviewed April 6, 2010

We have stayed here for the last 7 years, usually 10 to 14 days. The staff, rooms, service, location are all exactly what we want. Clean rooms, clean complex, good restaurant w/ entertainment, the friendliest and most accomidating staff and an excellent location. This is OLD Mexico and we LOVE it. They can keep all the big stuffy corporate hotels, we'll take the old culture.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank NickWisconsin
Reviewed March 3, 2010

Over our 3 week stay, we stayed in both the 1 bedroom and junior suites. As the Los Arcos Suites are on adeadend street the noise level in all of the rooms is usually very low. If you don't need the extra space available in the 1 bedroom type of unit I'd recommend staying in the junior (studio) suites as they face the quiet inner pool/courtyard area.
Contrary to other reviewers comments, we had no problems with casual visitors coming to visit us. We also had no problems with any of the kitchenette supplies - which are very basic, but are sufficient for breakfasts and simple lunches or dinners. The only problem we had was with a leaky toilet - which was quickly fixed.

All of the staff at the three Los Arcos buildings and at the beach were helpful and professional.

The pool area at the Suites was nice, but had limited sun in the afternoon. The rooftop pool at the neighboring Casa Dona Susana was great for tanning and the view from the rooftop was great.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cincopesosworth
Reviewed February 20, 2010

Check-in was done in just a few minutes by a wonderful desk clerk. The suite was very clean and the maid was so helpful. The location is great with so many places to eat including the main hotel. The pool was kept very clean and was heated and the beach is just a block away. All the staff were friendly and helpful. We have already booked for next year.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bridgelady_10
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I give this place a 3 1/2 stars out of five . The staff are friendly and helpfull . The room was big , clean and had nice view for not being on the water. It had a kitchenette , a separate bedroom with king bed , although I slept on the pullout couch which was not that comfortable , that's why I only gave sleep quality 3 out of 5 .
The room had a safe , good water pressure and a large balcony with furniture . The only thing some may not like about the balcony is that its very open with the neighbours and sometomes you can get talkers , so if you want complete privacy , you won't get it on the balcony...
We did have an issue with a friend not being allowed to come back up to our room after he checked out and went to his new hotel . They were nice about it but our friend felt very unwelcome after he stayed there . We were made to feel like we were manipulating the system and we were not . We were all inclusive and our friend paid for his one meal there after he checked out but again they made us feel like we were breaking the rules... What this did was make us go elsewhere for some of our meals . The food there was adequate but nothing to write home about so we ate out at some of the nicer restaurants in town ... Also with the all inclusive plan , we arrived at night and left at night but we were not allowed to have lunch there the last day ... so again we decided to spend our money elsewhere , yet if they had let us eat there still atleast the waiters would have made some money off of us as we were pretty good tippers throughout the week. I don't see anyone winning with some of their policies ... Perhaps the system has been abused over the years by some patrons I don't know , it usually just takes one bad egg to spoil it for others...
Having said all that , we still enjoyed the hotel enough to return to it perhaps ...we have no plans to but if it happened to turn out that way we would be fine with that ...
The location was great for us , the price was right , the staff friendly, it was clean and safe and we used a little something at all three hotels that belong to them ... the roof top pool at one , the restaurant at the other and our room at the suites... oh speaking of rooftop pool... we were there and asked if we would like a drink from the bar and the waiter never came back ... but for the most part the sevice was very good...

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank KrisMToronto
Reviewed January 22, 2010

The hotel is very nice by PVR standards. Particularly compared to others in the immediate area. The rooms are more than adequate and very clean. It is very quiet and I have no complaints about the facilities. If you want to be near the Los Muertos Beach in the Zona Romantica, it's a good choice for couples. NOT A GOOD CHOICE FOR SINGLES OR FOR FAMILIES though. Children were frowned upon by the staff... I think they try to herd the families with kids to stay across the street in their larger hotel they own. I was there alone, getting dental work done, because it's too expensive in the USA. Most annoying for me was their extremely strict rules on guests in the hotel. An employee of the dental clinic was apprehended by the security guards for trying to deliver some paperwork to my room while I was there. I was embarrassed and outraged by this, but the hotel police just said they didn't make the policy. I saw other people .,..adults.... quiet,,, respectable, heading to their rooms with a guest and the hotel police chasing them down and saying that guests ARE STRICTLY NOT ALLOWED PER HOTEL POLICY (which is conveniently buried in the small print). Most hotels have a limit on the number of people in a room or they even charge for anyone not registered to the room. However Arcos Suites was very strident in their efforts to keep all unregistered people out of the hotel and they seemed to enjoy embarrassing those who unknowingly broke the policy. I saw this happen THREE TIMES during my weeklong stay. I like the hotel itself, but the Victorian policy about guests needs to be revisited.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank ;:;:;:;:;:
Reviewed December 23, 2009

I'm amazed at some of the criticism of this hotel, even from people who seemed to like it on the whole. I stayed six nights and found it most enjoyable, from the size of the rooms, the pool, the people, down to the the quiet of being in a side street. My room had, in addition to a king-size bed, two sofa beds, as well as a refrigerator and stove., not to mention a balcony with a table and two chairs. I will definitely stay here again when I return to Puerto Vallarta.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo