“Hot Fun in the Sun !!”

Ranked #22 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Orangeville, Canada
“Hot Fun in the Sun !!”
Reviewed December 8, 2006

Well my girlfriend and I left Toronto, on December 1st of this year. We booked our trip last minute with my travel agent. I usually travel all over the world about 4-8 times a year so I know what to expect from everywhere....
We read all the reviews about the hotel and the night life; we really weren't looking for anything expensive or high end. We were hoping to go to a resort where there would be tons of people our age so we can party and have a great time away from the cold here in Toronto.

Originally when I spoke to my agent I told her I wanted to be at the Playa Los Arcos, which is directly on the beach. We looked at the information together and we booked it. Well of course when we got to the hotel (which was about 20/25 minutes away from the airport-great viewing... Get to see downtown and all the night life stuff) when I get to the front desk I find out that I was booked for the Los Arcos Vallarta, I was a bit irritated, Not with the staff at all, cause it wasn't their fault, they were actually very helpful.

It only took us 30 seconds to cross the street and only took us about 5-8 minutes to check-in. When my girlfriend and I opened up the door to our room, we understand what other people meant by the room smelling. It's just smells damp or muggy. That usually happens to most hotels (even 5 start hotels) if they don't have proper ventilation systems. (Remember that in our room we only had one window that opened to the outside and that was in the bathroom). During our stay the hotels pool and top 4th floor is under construction so we had to visit the other two hotels just for the pool. (But again like I said before it's only a 30 second walk-I'm sure the local guys didn't mind my girlfriend and I walking past in our bikini's hehehe) The buffet often repeated itself, so it got boring at times, but at least during lunch you get a chance to order from the snack menu (we recommend the club house and the shrimp sandwich.

We were disappointed to see that there really weren't that many people our own age, but we found out that it's just the time year that we have traveled. Most people our age travel to Puerto Vallarta during Spring break. So we have already told our bosses that we'll be traveling again in March!!

The best thing about where the hotel is located is it is only 3 blocks away from the BEST place!! Senior Frogs. Don't be confused because there are many locations, but this one is the best! The staff makes you feel 100 % comfortable!! Ask for Fernando, tell him his Canadian Girlfriend Danielle (who he wants to steal) Say's Hi ;)

As I said before I travel a lot, and I've even been to Cancun. I would like to admit that the beaches in Cancun are much better, but the Night life in Puerto Vallarta... IS AMAZING!!

OHHHH and one other thing... Make sure you all take this trip:
CANOPY RIVER TOUR VALLARTA
It is the most amazing thing anyone can possibly do!!

Enjoy Everything that Puerto Vallarta can offer you !! Partying, great food, and great weather!!

Your friends here in Toronto Canada!!
Danielle And Matilda (P.S. If there is anyone else traveling this Spring Break 2007 make sure to let us know !! )

• Liked — Staff was very attentive... Made our stay much more relaxed!
  • Disliked — Not being directly on the beach ...
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't be afraid to travel with Taxi's they will take you where you need to go, usually only costs about $7 - 10 USD !! Locals are very respectful and helpful, don't worry they are all there to help !
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Dani_Elle_P1981

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Polish first
Manhattan
Reviewed November 25, 2006

We booked this hotel because of its location in the "Romantic Zone" which is also the gay-friendly area of Puerto Vallarta, and the price could not be beat.
I was expecting a no-frills hotel after reading the reviews in Trip Advisor, and that's exactly what we got.
The room was extremely small and came with no view at all. There was a musty smell which surprised me because the room was air conditioned. There was a mini fridge and a small TV with cable. The bathroom was very small and the shower stall even smaller: if you are a honeymooner don't even think of fitting two people in there.
But the room was clean, quiet, and you could tell that management was trying hard to make this place a little above average. If you are looking for more amenities, this is not the place to be: go to the big hotels in Nuevo Vallarta. But the location was perfect and only one block from the beach.
Their sister hotel, Playa Los Arcos, seemed nicer but it was more family oriented (a fact they proudly display in a big sign, which was comical given that the area is becoming increasingly gay), so I suspect the rooms would be noisier because people stayed in the swimming pool until way past sunset and there were toddlers running around at all times.

• Liked — Nice a/c unit. Mini fridge. Cable TV.
  • Disliked — Musty smell. Unfriendly desk clerk. No frills.
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at Playa Los Arcos if you want to face the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank Volanges
Reviewed June 7, 2006

We were very happy with Los Arcos, especially after coming from a hotel deeper into the city that didn't have ocean access, or elevators! The location of Los Arcos is absolutely perfect...right on the Malecon, in the midst of countless beachfront restaurants, and in the middle of viejo Vallarta. We were impressed by the staff, who went above and beyond when my husband had an accident during a run and needed to be bandaged up. Hotel paramedics cared for him immediately and escorted us to/from the doctor as well. They totally knew what they were doing. The pool area was fantastic, and the pool waitstaff was fast and efficient with orders. Our room was quite small and the bed was hard, but we had all the amenities we needed and the decor was lovely. Overall this is a fabulous choice for honeymooners on a budget like us.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 1, 2006

As a travel agent, I just returned from the Playa Los Arcos. Knowing in advance this hotel was rated a 3 star I wasn't expecting too much. After reading the reviews on trip advisor I was prepared for moderation. I did take the almost all inclusive rate as I didn't want to have to go out for every meal. Puerto Vallarta has so many restaurants that are reasonably priced that I would not take the all inclusive next time. The food at the hotel was awful, the same thing for lunch and dinner every day. Breakfast was the best meal of the day. We ate at local restaurants most of the time, a good steak dinner in town is about 12.00cad per person. The hotel serves mostly mexican type food, not suitable for us.
The rooms were budget to say the least, we had a superior room facing the pool. The furnishings were dark and dingy and the beds were very hard although we slept very well on them. The shower head trickled water so it took a bit of time to take a shower. The bathrooms were very small but had hair dryers and a good supply of towels. They were clean and the maids changed the towels on a daily basis.
The entertainment was amateur but we didn't hang out too much at night at the hotel.as there are many clubs in town.
The best thing about the hotel is the location. A 10 minute walk got you to the Malecon where the shopping, clubs and restaurants are plentiful.
I would return to the Los Arcos because of the location, staff were friendly enough just don't take the all inclusive option.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed May 13, 2006

Have stayed here numerous times over the years, for price and location. True, amenities are not what you would find in the hotel zone, but for the price it is a deal. Over the past year or two there have been several updates that improve things even more.

First, if you are on the east side of the hotel (rooms from xx1-xx4) they have cut holes in the outer wall and installed windows. Thank you for the nice addition of light! Ask for a room on the 3rd floor to take advantage of this. True, some of the other rooms are dark. Especially if you are on the ground floor.

Second, there are new state-of-the-art air conditioners with remote control. No more units that sound like airplane engines when you are trying to sleep. These new units are quiet and efficient. I used the blanket every night. Don't loose the remote.

And the list goes on: key-card locks and in room safe. The big tree in the middle is still there but they cut it back and cleaned the inner lobby at the foot of the steps. The big chandelier has lights in it that work and there are several umbrella tables and chairs there that make it pleasant to sit and have morning coffee. Rooms have been repainted with accents of color-washed yellow.

Granted, this hotel is not for everyone, but for the budget traveller it cannot be beat. If you are a regular I know you will like these mentioned upgrades. I would also suggest from reading other reviews that travellers from the USA use a travel agent to book this hotel through Apple Vacations or GOGO as they have a rep there every day who would certainly help you if you have a problem that you cannot resolve on your own. (Remember you attract more flies with honey.)

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank pv_alan
Reviewed April 17, 2006

After reading all the reviews, my friends and I belived that we had made the wrong choice of hotel. Hotel Los Arcos Vallarta was excellent for the price we paid. The staff in all three hotels were very helpful and answered any questions. The location is great about a 3 minute walk to the beach and a 15 minute walk to el Malecon (the happening place).
This was our first trip to Puerto Vallarta and we plan to return and stay at Los Arcos.

• Stayed April 2006