“Good location, so-so amenities”

Hotel Casa Dona Susana
Ranked #22 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Portland, Oregon
“Good location, so-so amenities”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

It's just a couple of blocks from the beach and very close to several good bars and restaurants. There was an ant problem in the bathroom, which seems like an ongoing issue there. The rooftop pool is the definite highlight of the property.
My biggest complaint was the horrible WiFi access. It was extremely difficult to get any connectivity and at one point was hard down for more than a day. If you have any need to actually work on your trip, plan to find a good WiFi source elsewhere or you will be very frustrated.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank SLK75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The courtyard garden is somewhat dark / daytime but beautiful at night. The sunshine is on the roof top deck- It must be one of the top- all day sun and swim decks in PV - without the children . Nice little pool big enough to swim some lengths. For 35 pesos I bought an inflatable child size water doughnut and floated wait-less in the pool.
Kitchenette allowed me to cook my oatmeal for breakfast and even a large pot of soup for the week.
Toaster fridge and two element stove top included.
Just one block to to the Pier, one block to the Saturday Market - Not all rooms have windows - some have windows to the inside of the courtyard; mine a small bathroom window to see the sky and a large door size frosted glass ? window which allowed light in. It was great for afternoon naps. My room was a large corner unit- Beautiful carved wooden headboard. Mattress was solid but much better than my soft bed at home. Plenty of Hot Water. Balcony suites are beautiful but you would also get the noise of the street. Great " some what hidden restaurant right next door " Los 3 Delfinis " - dinner only, where I had a huge grilled Red snapper $120 pesos - one free drink.
Cleaning staff are very friendly. Room was clean. I never used the AC.
It may have a 2.5 star rating but I give it a 4.5 as far as my appreciation for location and the quiet and calm.
You have the option to take part in the all inclusive buffet at the Sister Hotel- Los Arcos I heard great reviews about the food - looked great- plenty of options for the price- Don't fill your plate with everything and it won't be the same ever day .

Room Tip: rooms ending in 05 and 07 on each floor ( except ground floor ) are corner with balcony , 06 rooms...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank massagehotace
Stonington, Connecticut
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Overall I enjoyed my stay at Casa Susana. I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights including Christmas day. The location is great. Very quiet place. The desk staff very personable and accomodating always a friendly smile and hello. The guestrooms are generous in size. Nice comfortable bedding and very clean bathrooms. The housekeeping is superior.
It was a bonus that access to their sister "resort" hotel -Los Arcos was included. I would use the couches in the lobby seating area which overlooks the pool area and hang-out with my laptop and free wifi. I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
green bay wisconsin.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I had read many positive reviews before checking into this hotel. Upon our arrival we did meet with friendly staff that were more than helpful. The room was less then desired. We got a master room that was very small and it did have tiny bugs in the sink. We only stayed one night. The hotel has no direct view of the ocean and the sister hotel Playa Los Arcos has the lounge and restaurant. Which to us was really no big deal. We were more put off due to the bugs in the bathroom sink. We were not expecting a five star but were not expecting bugs in our sink either. The staff was very nice and did change our room to the Playa Los Arcos upon request. This hotel needs quite an update. I feel bad writing a not so positiver review, but I would not recommend this hotel to others. I would suggest the Play Los Arcos across the street. This is the same hotel ownership.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hainzer1
Douglas, Alaska
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Usually I stay at Posada Lily but they were booked. Many times I have tried to secure reservations at this hotel but usually it's booked as well. Luckily I was able to make reservations for the 1 night needed. Upon arrival I asked for room with balcony as mentioned in prior reviews of this hotel. Luckily room 6 was available for the 1 night needed. Wow, for the same price as competitor the room although smaller the balcony was larger, seemed as big as the room. There were six chairs, in 3 separate areas of balcony to include a table. The balcony can easily serve as an outdoor living and dinning area. Bathroom was small but who cares, serves its purpose! Room was simply wonderful and well put together with 2 towels made into swans on the bed. Even the toilet paper has a rose made out of it for starters! The room came with a safe, the staff was incredibly helpful and friendly. There is a lovely rooftop pool but they also provided access to Los Arcos pool and beach towels. Did I mention how wonderful the balcony is?! It faces another building on other side of street but its such a wonderful balcony, great sunshine this time of year. Hotel close to great restaurants and entertainment. Yes, I shall return!

• Stayed January 2013
Orange
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We have previously stayed at Hotel Los Arcos and their sister hotel across the street from Casa Dona Susana. This is going to be a definite return destination for many reasons; adults only, quaint clean rooms, quiet, helpful staff, and use of the amenities at Hotel Los Arcos on the beach. Also, the price here is the very best for what you get. No...it's not a high end hotel, however, clean and GREAT location at a happening end of Old Town. LOVE it here!

Room Tip: Pay for a junior suite with a balcony...you can't go wrong for the extra $$!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotels does have some pros and cons. The location is very nice as it is situated in old town near the Los Muertos dock and beach. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from as well as shopping and strolls along the boardwalk. The roof top pool is quite nice though it seems inconvenient to have to obtain a pool towel via a walk down the street, across the street, through the sister hotel lobby to the back and near the beach and one must return it there to prevent a charge. The wifi is intermittent and apparently better in some rooms than others and some day more than others.
The bed is comfortable. My a/c worked and I had a remote control though one must bring it to the front desk upon check out. The decor is charming and I did have a mini-fridge which was kind of loud though it worked fine. I looked at a number of other rooms upon arrival for the following reasons: my only window was opaque and I was not able to see out; there was an annoying humming noise in my room. Some rooms had no window facing out at all (watch out claustrophobia) or were quite tiny. All rooms had an inner window to the courtyard though everyone keeps the curtains closed for privacy. I stayed in my original room. There are a couple of balcony rooms with kitchenettes and more space but they were quite a bit more and I was only there for a couple nights.
The most annoying thing was a general loud humming or vibration noise which I believe came from some mechanics for the pool? You could also hear it at times from the courtyard. It was not only in my room but many of the rooms. If you are a light sleeper this might be an issue.
Someone tried to enter my room at about 2 am one night though it was a drunk woman with the wrong room. Still, when I called the front desk and complained about someone trying to open my door, they said, oh yes, they saw her and thought she seemed odd. Well, then investigate! She finally went away so Im not sure if the staff took care of it or she just moved on.
Coffee is available in the lobby in the morning.

Room Tip: View the room first before accepting. My room was 212 I believe.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo