“True Boutique Experience in Charming Zona Romantica”

Hotel Casa Dona Susana
Ranked #24 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I was definitely looking for a small, quaint hotel in La Zona Romanitca. This hotel fit the bill. Cheap, old Mexican charm and friendly staff made my stay truly enjoyable.

The front desk and bell hop greeted me every morning by name and made sure I was satisfied. For the price I paid (under $100 a night) I think it was well worth it. My room was on the the back of the hotel, third floor right hand side . Both of the windows offered unique views, and opened (noticed some reviews said none of the windows opened which I wanted to correct; my rooms windows opened and I had them open every single morning!) I did not try the hotel restaurant because when I got to Mexico I go partly for the food and PV has AWESOME little restaurants hidden on every street corner.

The rooftop pool was very nice and I also liked that the hotel is adult only. One thing I did notice was there really wasn't anyone our age (I am 26, boyfriend 29) around at all. Didn't bother me. I will take retirees over babies anyday!

The only reason why I gave the hotel 4 instead of 5 stars is that I did notice a strong "sewery" or mildew aroma for a day or two. I wasn't in the room very much so I let it pass but when I was there I kept the door to the bathroom closed as it seemed to be the origin of the smell. Other then that, loved my stay!!

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms on the back end of the hotel
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carit23

Reviewed April 13, 2011

We enjoyed our stay here, especially the rooftop pool, which was adult only and very quiet and peaceful with a great view of Puerto Vallarta. No need for the all inclusive deal with the restaurant at Playa Los Arcos - the food was not very good and there are many nice and affordable restaurants nearby. It was great to have use of the pools at all 3 locations. The room was nicely furnished, clean and comfortable though some renovations and updating are needed in the bathroom. I would stay there again but definitely ask for a room with a balcony - no view and couldn't even open a window.

1  Thank elgin-qc
Reviewed March 25, 2011

stayed at casa dona Susana from mar 25-April 6 i read many reviews to make sure this would be the right place to stay since the reviews where promising and the photos where good i gave it a shot after all I'm not that picky i just want a safe,clean,comfy room just like anyone else upon my check in the front desk girl tells me they don't have my room available but they could give me another for a nite then move me in the morning after flying 14 hours i say ok the room was a jr suite but it look the same as my other room i got the following day.... it just had a balcony any way it seems this is a going thing here at this hotel i spoke to 3 other couple/quest who said they where told they didn't have room either some stayed at los arcos across the street etc other then that they have a sign that says they will exchange money for pesos right on counter but then they tell you to go to the playa los arcos down the block and bring a passport why not just say that from the start... other then that the hotel well very clean the cleaning staff where there early 7am ish cause everything echoes in the lobby so every laugh giggle or slam and bang was heard all the way up to my 4Th floor ugg exp when the male workers played music so load off there phone when you where trying to get a siesta inn ugggg my second room was great except the bath room shower stall only opened about 15 inches no kidding I'm 6"3 260 it was a tight fit but it worked the hotel also promise fridges in every room this isn't true either my room didnt but both rooms on either side had them and they where comparable then mine the staff where friendly outgoing and professional and my room was cleaned spotless everyday it had a safe a phone a tv it was good for me i enjoyed the roof top pool this hotel has no children aloud so if your looking for piece of mine quite in the sun by the pool surrounded by plants and a huge mango tree growing Thur the lobby with breathtaking views of the mountains and the ocean and a area that is safe safe safe cant say that enough lots of great restaurants great shopping down the street and only 1and a half block from the beach this would be the place most of the people here are repeat customers as i will be too i was happy over all.another good thing is los arcos across the street playa los arcos down the block and casa suzana are all sister hotels and you can use all there pools and ammenities as well..

4  Thank luna6373
Reviewed March 1, 2011

None of the standard rooms have windows that open to the outside for fresh air. The smell of mildew was overwhelming and when we complained and proceeded to check out we were offered a jr. suite with doors that open to the outside, but the normal price for this room is $128 which is much higher than rooms with similar ammenties, like the Rio at $60.

1  Thank RanchoSolYMar
Reviewed February 16, 2011

The room is noisy and right on the street. The shower stall leaked so that after each shower you had to mop up. Everything cheap. I geuss if you could get a quiet room in the back it might be ok.

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank FXTIP
Reviewed February 6, 2011

After reading the reviews here i thought i had to try this hotel. I knew the location would be fabulous after going to pv for the first time last year and it was the best. The pool is great on the roof with the best views and yes it is heated. Since this hotel has 2 sister properties:los arcos suites accross the street and los arcos half a block away, you can use the pools and gacilities of the other 2 hotels. The casa dona susana is an adults only property and one days a guest from the other hotel brought their 4 screaming kids to the quiet serene pool and after i went to the front desk to complain they were immediately asked to leave. There were about 12 different tv channels that had english television programming. The bed was surprising comfortable also. One caveat - this is not a fancy hotel. It is clean, the rooms are abit small but the value is awesome.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Wwwtraveller2
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Came back here again and spent 8 nights here. Had a very stay. Friendly staff and clean rooms. Hotel is in the "old part" of PV, so walking distance to beach, and good restuarants and clubs. Not fancy, but an excellent value for the money.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo