Gaviota Vallarta
$342
$278
Bookit.com
Sunset Plaza Beach Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$269
$179
Bookit.com
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$631
$258
  • Beachfront
Velas Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$520
$286
  • Breakfast included
Barcelo Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$271
$201
  • Breakfast included
$396
$220
  • Pool
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$149
Marriott Hotels
Hotel Mousai(Puerto Vallarta)
$352
$324
  • Pool
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$242
$197
Casa Velas(Puerto Vallarta)
$500
$420
All reviewssmall poolair conditioninggreat hotelfurnituremexico
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 2, 2007

Stayed here over Xmas 2006. It is a "family" hotel meaning it caters to Mexican families primarily - but of course foreigners. I did notice gay travellers in the hotel - who always recognize a great bargain.

Rooms are basic, pillows terrible, beds OK, room size generous by local standards. With the newly completed extension of the Malecon - this is only a few feet away, and as a result, demand for this hotel will increase. Best to call directly and get a cash rate over the phone, which may was in fact better than a credit card rate by a good 10%. The website often does not bring up the "rack rates".

I found the Gaviota to be good value -and we visit PV often. Room cleaning service was OK; room was kept very clean with daily maid service etc. No phones at least not in my room, some rooms with TV others without, all effect the price. They have a website under hotelgaviota.com, which presents the hotel in the 'best" possible way. Actually, however, it is very laid back, but on a noisy street, the front of the hotel faces some bars that run late in the evening.

Downside is the locks on the doors are TOTALLY inadequate, and anyone could push these in, or use a card to break in. The hotel front desk safety boxes worked some days and others not. Would I recommend it - yes for value travellers looking for good clean accommodation. If you want more than that - try elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4  Thank CanadianBoys
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 9, 2006

If you want the holiday inn, then stay there. This is as a great place to stay. It feels like Mexico when you are staying there. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The maid service was superb, and she left the towels in a decoration on the bed everyday. I tipped them 20 pesos everyday which is nothing to a tourist. The pool isn't great but you are right on the beach anyway. The location is fantastic. If you want a great Mexican experience for a great price, stay at the Gaviota.

• Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Calumet City, il
Reviewed October 17, 2004

The hotel has a great view of the water, but the service was really bad. Me and my friends were there 7 days and room service only cleaned twice. They also took some of our sandals(since it was 5 girls we had alot) and left the old ones in place of the new ones. Not a friendly place to be, because the workers are anti-social. I wouldn't recommend it.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Port Angeles, WA. U.S.A.
Reviewed January 23, 2004

We arrived in PV with no reservations but I had done my homework and knew we wanted to stay in Old Town at a Mexican Hotel with a pool. We told the cabby and he took us to the Gaviota Vallarta. He said we could check it out and if we wanted to keep looking he would wait. It was a long flight down and I just wanted a room. I was a little unimpressed the first night but by day four we were in love with the place and didn't care about the amitities. The location is perfect. The staff is great! When we told them we were in Mexico to attend our son's wedding to a beautiful Mexican girl, they were really really nice! The hotel is quite charming and even has an elevator. The only downside were the beds....small and hard.....but the surf put me to sleep anyway. We are returning February/March 2004, this place will be on our list again.
Note: We don't like the big, fancy, American Hotels....why go to Mexico? Save money and stay in California.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 1, 2003

My wife & I have stayed here several times. It is ideally located just off Los Muertos Beach (we have been to PV 12 times and this is our favorite area to stay). The prices are very reasonable. The hotel staff is friendly. The rooms are relatively clean. It's within walking distance of most everything worth seeing/doing in PV. This place is not for tourists accustomed to staying only in plush 4 star hotels, but we like it and will stay there again in the future.

11  Thank jduckOsageBeach_MO