“Vacation with kids” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #79 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
“Vacation with kids”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Nice location--close to Malecon, beach, restaurants, shopping. Definitely budget, but for the money it is a good bargain. Kids liked the pool on the roof. Staff were helpful if we needed information about anything. Street noise was distracting at night but we enjoyed staying in a place popular with locals and tourists alike.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Zapopan, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

The hotel is clean and confortable. It has a nice swiming pool in the roof and it is in the heart of Puerto Vallarta downtown beside the rio tule, where is a river walk with a lot of galerias and coffe shops and one block from the beach and from the malecon where you can find a lot of restaurants, Fashion and souvenirs stores, bars and night clubs. Very good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank helioflores
Watseka, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

i stayed there from Dec 26th 2011-Jan1st 2012, paid $900 pesos per night... i didn't had time to look for a better nicer hotel.. so i think hotel was good.. i spendmost of the days walking the beach sidewalk.... hotels is right in the center of old town.. very good location, next to the handcraft markets and restaurants by the river.. my wife and I had new years eve dinner at Oscars right where the rivers meets the ocean... it was very nice... 5 min walking from hotel.. very safe to walk at night, i really liked the idea that there are oxxos every 2 or 3 streets, so you can buy a beer and get another one by the time the 1st one is over... hotel was good as I said.. the girls doing the housekeeping are yelling early in the morning to each other, from side to side, floor to floor, there is a phone ringing on the ail at night and early morning, also there is a printing machine ( the really noisy old ones) doing noise at 3 or 4 am.. dont know what are they printing at those hours... any than that i had a clean bed to sleep.. i spent my time on the near beaches doing sightseein... could stay there again if I have a limited budget.. i left my laptop on reception every time i left the room they took care of it since there are no safes on room...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed here in February 2012 with 2 friends (1 room, single beds) and we had a great time. Our room was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly. We had cable TV, AC, and WiFi in the room. The hotel is not a new, luxurious resort, it's a charming old hotel. The location is perfect - 5 minutes from the Malecon, the beach, restaurants, etc. If you are sensitive to noise I could see how it might bother you here. There are windows in the bathroom that open onto the courtyard so if the hotel was busy I could see how it might get noisy. But we weren't bothered by it, nor the noise from the street.

The rooftop pool was lovely. The restaurant was being renovated our first few days which was too bad but when it reopened, it was a beautiful spot to have a drink and watch the sunset.

We paid online with a credit card before our arrival and had no problems or surprise charges. The hotel didn't seem very busy in mid-February so I suppose you could easily just show up without a reservation.

I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

Stayed 2 nites at Hotel Encino in Old town and it was a great place for the very budget minded traveler who wants to save on $ on lodging. Old but clean and comfy enough. A good place to sleep after days spent exploring. They have a small but nice rooftop deck and pool for an afternoon rest and sun bath. Location cant be beat for the price. Right above the the river and 1 block to the Malecon. Purified water in the hall and small toiletries in the bathroom. Color TV w/remote and phone in our smallish dated but very clean quad room(2 double beds and 1 twin).Free Wi-Fi in the lobby!!!! Quick and easy check in and out and friendly clerks and maids who all spoke at least limited English. No problems and no complaints and would recommend this place to anyone who uses a hotel room for a landing spot rather than a destination. Cheap, clean, comfortable and safe. I will probablyh try and stay here again on my next visit to Puerta Valarta because my funds are limited and I would rather spend them outside of the hotel room.....

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

I booked a week at this hotel last winter for our trip in March 2011. We ended up getting a deal at a fancy resort so I cancelled our reservation at Hotel Encino. One day before I cancelled (which was only about 3 days after I booked the reservation) they charged my credit card the whole price of the trip which works out to be about $650 CAN. That was almost a year ago and I still haven't gotten my money back. I filed a claim with VISA and they talked to the hotel who said that they already refunded my money. The won't return calls or emails to me. Don't ever go here - they do not deserve tourist dollars.

Room Tip: don't book a local hotel like this online. Book it when you get there and see the room for yours...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer M
San Francisco, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

I'll second the previous reviewer who said they wouldnt recommend this place to their worst enemies. aside from the myriad problems and scam, its not even a good value compared to places of the same price closer to the beach and restaurants.

Made a reservation online to stay here for vacation with my boyfriend in January after our reservation at Posada de Roger was unexpectedly cancelled at the last minute with no warning (gave credit card # and exp date, but not security code. careful not to make this mistake!).
When we got there, the staff was extremely disorganized- basically their front desk was a pile of loose papers on a desk. They couldn't find our reservation, and the girl at the front desk spent about 15 minutes slowly and aimlessly shuffling papers around. Showing them our confirmation on my smart phone didn't seem to make any impact. Finally found us a room and we waited for them to "clean" it. I was expecting no frills, and have stayed in some really budget places all over latin america, but this place didnt even have a hint of a frill. The room was pretty ugly, giant whole in the ceiling, wires coming out and hanging down from the tv, bed was like a concrete slab with some old balled-up kleenexes for sheets. the bathroom was horrid, the shower exploded all over the floor, bath mat was balled up in the corner and reminded me of a dirty trash can liner. Dont even think about a place for your toiletries. also, there are open vents in the wall leading out to the courtyard, so we heard EVERYTHING that EVERYONE was doing out there, as well as our neighbors in the next room. Did have a nice balcony though, and the AC worked very well. Though it seemed like it would be very close and convenient to all of the old pv attractions (beach, restaurant), it was a little more of a schlep to the beach than we thought it would be, and definitely felt longer when carrying all our beach-day gear.

Though uncomfortable and not an enjoyable place to stay for a vacation, we could have made it work if we thought we had to. We decided to look for another place on our second day, and told the nice young guy at the front desk we would be leaving the next day. I asked him if it was okay, and if he could refund the remaining days and he said yes, sure, and told me that it would just be 24 hours before the charge was reversed. Satisfied, we booked the rest our our nights at a much nicer place right in the middle of everything for about $10 more a night (casa dona susana- the room was musky but it was much better, super comfy bed and clean bathroom, wifi, very quiet, tv with a remote, and proximity to the beach, plus 2 nice pools and access to all of the perks of their sister hotel, playa los arcos, which is across the street at the beach. overall a MUCH better place to spend a romantic vacation. also, adults only!)

the next day, however, when we tried to check out, the girl (the useless shuffling one from the first day) told us we would not be refunded the money for the rest of our cancelled stay. There was no sign of the guy from the day before, and I had no way to prove that we had spoken and given notice (this isnt exactly a place that believes in receipts) we had a long argument about it (in spanish) during which i showed them their policy online which states that cancellations made without 24 hour notice will be charged a day, but there was no sign of what she was telling me, which was that they don't refund at all once you check in. I would take it up with the bank, but because they didn't even give me a receipt when we checked out, theres no way to prove that we indeed left early. when i told her that i had been told the previous day that we would be refunded, she simply said "well, i guess he was misinformed." by that time we had already booked and paid for another room at the new place, and couldn't cancel. ended up paying for 2 hotels because this place went back on their word.
wouldnt return even if they hadn't scammed us.

Room Tip: Just don't.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple