“Experencing old Puerto Vallarta”

Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #34 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
New York City, New York
“Experencing old Puerto Vallarta”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

Having just returned from sunny PV, back to the snowy Northeast I already miss the Hotel Rio. Charming with a wonderful staff, I find the hotel an extreme value for the money. This was my second stay in six months and I found the experience wonderful each time.
Steps from the Waterfront, Isla Rio Cuale and the Art Galleries, you can not get a better location for Centro Puerto Vallarta.
Being on the busiest street in town, noise is a factor. If you are a light sleeper do not take a room on the Morelos side of the building.
Having read the criticisms of the hotel, I understand where the critics are coming from. This is not a luxury hotel. It does not have full amenities. Out side of Centro there are districts that would better suit the needs of those travelers-Nuevo Vallarta,The Marina and Hotel Districts.
Frankly, Hotel Rio is perfect for a traveler who can relax not become hypercritical and embrace the local scene.
The restaurant--Coexist Cafe-- is wonderful with great food and reasonable prices.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank RobLaurich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2010

Hotel Rio has an amazing location!!! One block from Malecon (sea wall) and walkable distance to everything in Center and Zona Romantica, beach, Rio Cuale Island...Really amazing location, great for tourists who want to walk around :)
But since it´s in downtown, it can get noisy at night (I was so sorry I forgot my earplugs). Hotel Rio has nice ambiance, is kept very clean. No WiFi but they have two computers in computer room if you need to check your email.
Staff was friendly and helpful.
They have their own restaurant/cafe if you get hungry, called Cafe Coexist. I didn´t get to try it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cikusa
zvictor, Owner at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, November 10, 2010
we have identified the room with the noise problem and fixed it. thanks to you. I am very sorry we were not notified on time to fixed it for you to enjoy.

We pride ourselves of not only offering location but great SERVICE and COMFORT among other things.

We want you to enjoy our hotel not to suffer in it and for that purpose we have several types of rooms. we even have rooms that are NOT on the street. nonetheless our rooms have especial doors to keep the street noise out. these systems sometimes fail and need to be adjusted.

We DO have WIFI in the hotel, the name of the network is COEXIST witch also is the name of our restaurant you did not try (in spite of all the good reviews on trip advisor) : (

Next time please ask us for help. we are here to serve you. ask us if we have wifi, if we can do something about a certain noise, problem or issue. if we can offer you another room away from the street, even ask us for your money back if we are not what you needed. I promise we will do our best to make you happy even if that means finding you a room in another hotel in Vallarta.

Respectfully, Victor Zamorano
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2010

Im compelled to write a review of this place after reading some cruddy reviews from other guests. Specifically about nearby food and complaining about this, that and the other.

You really can't beat this hotel in terms of location.
You really can't beat this hotel in terms of price.
Most importantly, I found, you cant beat the co-exist cafe for friendly staff and in my opinion the best breakfast in all of PV.

We tried the top end restaurants, the taco stands, personal chefs and staff even at a later stay at Villa Mia out of town.

At the end of the trip, I came back here for the food. The best chilaquiles ever!

If you are one of those types who needs an opulent enormous pool and $7 beers, you might be better off in the hotel zone. This is not a western hotel, but it has a lot of charm and is a great value. If you want to be in the middle of PV, have access to everything, and save yourself a little cash, this is a solid choice. The only downside I can come up with here is the pool is in the shade most of the day and doen't really support a real pool scene so to speak, but thats not really what you stay in downtown PV for.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cptnspooky
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2010

Wow, what a great place. The antithesis of the huge resort, but this is no "mom and pop" place either. Very polished. Hip, intimate atmosphere.The staff is great, and pool and patio are like a little oasis inside the hotel (stone and greenery, great lighting). The Co-Exist Cafe, inside the hotel, is an amazing restaurant. I walked out the door at 6:30 every morning, crossed the street, and went for a run on the boardwalk. Fantastic restaurants all along the boardwalk, within a few blocks. The bus? Who needs the bus?? (Very-comfortable new mattresses by the way.) If you want huge rooms and "all the amenities" this place probably isn't for you, but if you want a hip little hotel by the boardwalk, you'll love this place. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank shannie_p
Newark, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

The Hotel Rio was more than what i expected. Really cute, clean and designed for couples. It is located in El Centro of PVR making it simple to walk around town and mingle with the locals. El Malecon has many awesome and modern like restaurants, that includes an exciting nightlife. I felt secure walking thru town because the locals were very friendly and respectfull of our stay in their beloved port. If you are looking for authentic mexian food u must stay in this area of PVR. The best "chilaquiles" were at the coexist rest. and make sure to request Ricardo as ur waiter. Although, the hotel did not accomodate their gusts with some amminaties like an iron or shampoo & conditioner, they made sure to satisfy us the best way they would. The AC was very stong making it comfortable to go in and relax after walking & shopping in the hot and humid climate that PVR is known for.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annettearoundDworld
PST Zone USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

Think of a Motel 6 in the USA. This place is like a Motel 6, just not quite as good, and not nearly as new as most Motel 6's are.

The size and layout of the rooms reflect that this hotel was built many years ago, the rooms are small, the bathrooms awkward to function within. As a couple, we felt cramped, even though we didn't spend a whole lot of time in the room.

The rooms are kept clean, the maids do a nice job. Other reviewers have mentioned the hard beds, I agree, our bed was pretty bad. Imagine the hardest bed you've ever slept on, and make it a little harder yet.

The AC worked fine, but it was a little hard to control the temp.

Located in a busy and traffic intense area of PV. Buses and big trucks are in abundance until well after dark (and they start very early in the morning), you'll hear them in your room even with the balcony door firmly shut. This was a significant issue for us.

If your a light sleeper or accustomed to a Ramada or Best Western, not the place for you. The neighborhood noise and low grade bed will hamper your rest. If your content with spartan, you'll likely find it okay. That's my bottom line to you.

Final point, though the hotel is centrally located, the walks to both the beach and to where most of the restaurants are located are fairly long walks - like 8 or more city blocks to each. The bus system surrounding PV is very good, if you choose to stay outside PV, you'll have no trouble using the bus to come to PV for the day.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
zvictor, Owner at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, September 14, 2010
People see what they want to see.
I have to agree beauty or comfort are subjective but it is very, very hard to argue against the privileged central location of the hotel rio.
The busy and traffic intense area of PV that you complain about is known as main street and from the balconies of some of our rooms you can see the beach just across from it. It is challenging to understand how you had to walk 8 or more blocks as you claim to get to the beach. Probably you haven't traveled much to notice city blocks vary a lot from city to city. I.e. Portland Oregon's downtown city block is 68,000sqft, while Chicago's uses a double block size of 217,000sqft and vallarta's downtown city block is 54,000sqft or roughly 232' long.
To say that we have not got any good restaurants close by is kind of an insult to the legendary restaurants and chefs that surround us as i.e. VITEA of swedish cheff ulf Henrikkson (2010' FIVE STAR DIAMOND AWARD from The American Academy of Hospitality Sciences) which is 124 steps away from our main door. it took my mother (68 years young) 1minute and 16 seconds to walk there. and what about the incomparable TRIO??. of german cheff Bernhard Guth. which is 232 steps roughly 2 minutes away. and the RIVER CAFE? (256 steps or 2:25 minutes) with its beautiful view to the river, jazz music and sophisticated ambiance, LE BISTRO JAZZ CAFE?? (the creator of cafe des artistes, 516 steps away) MARAZUL or DAIKIRI DICK'S both are 750 steps away. and COCO TROPICAL?? of renowned swiss cheff Heinz Reize not to mention the ARCHIE"S WOK , or the legendary LA PALAPA almost as old as the hotel RiO and wich is still one of the best in town, right on the beach (1025 steps away) just to mention a few.

I just returned from Vancouver, Canada and because of your review I went and checked the rates on the BEST WESTERN downtown on drake street $186 dlls tax inclusive... you paid to stay with us what? 48dlls ??? tax included. how can you make such unfair comparisons? check Motel 6 downtown san francisco on Geary street ranked 198 out of 243 on trip advisor it charges $130 dollars plus taxes (please read their reviews so you know what you get for that money. their ranking should give you an idea)

Final point, you are advising our fellow travelers that it is tiresome to cross the street and walk a minute to a superb restaurant or the beach but you have no problems and actually consider a great idea and advice to take a 45 minute (each way) BUS ride to some resort outside pv ??? I respect your point of view but it is clearly one most of my clientele strongly disagrees with.

Best Regards,

Victor Zamorano
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

Some serious work and money has been invested in this hotel, the common areas all look recently updated and the courtyard/swimming pool area is very nice - especially at night. Once you enter your room however, you step back into the value hotel atmosphere that the room rate implies. The beds are quite possibly the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on, consisting of a 6 inch pad atop a poured concrete slab. The balconies are nice though, it was nice to sit out and watch the traffic and non-stop activity of Puerto Vallarta, but if anyone sees you they will shout at you and attempt to get you into their restaurant/cab/etc. - much like what happens when walking around downtown. Rooms were kept very clean.

We didn't receive the same great service at the front desk that others have commented on. We asked three days in a row for currency exchange on $100 USD but were told each time that they didn't have any pesos. They advertise on their website as well as the front door of the hotel that they offer 24 hour currency exchange. This was a major inconvenience for us, we ended up just making due with what we had which resulted in us spending less money in Puerto Vallarta.

If you want to stay near the Malecon for a few days, I would say no more than 2, then this hotel would be great for you. If you are wanting to do other activities in Vallarta I would stay farther north and just grab a bus or cab to El Centro when you want to explore the boardwalk. You will be heckled less by shop owners and will probably find a more comfortable bed closer to the marina and airport.

I won't say much about the restaurant here as it has it's own TA page, but it is excellent. Even if you don't stay at this hotel, make sure to eat at the CoExist Cafe at least once while in town, we had several of our best meals there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mitcharoo
zvictor, Owner at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Hi, thank you very much for you positive points of view of Hotel Rio. as for the negatives I apologize. I have struggled to bring this historic hotel to modern standards. as you have noticed the common areas are beautiful. and the rooms.. are getting there. I have already re-remodel some of the rooms to keep our mission of constant improvement. besides new looks the rooms are getting new top of the line mattresses and 32" lcd tv's. I believe you stayed in room 122 witch has not been updated with this new features. I wish you had let me or my staff know you were so uncomfortable with your bed and we would have done our best to accommodate you in a re-remodeled room.
I understand you were very upset with the money exchange and I am deeply sorry. please let me bring to your attention the following, the Mexican senate passed a new law this month. it is aimed at preventing money laundering and has established a cap of $4000 dollars as the maximum amount we as a business can exchange per month. as you experienced this amount has not been enough to service my guests. this new law has created a lot of chaos for the front desk and a ton of inconveniences for our guest and tourist. I have updated the hotel web page to inform our guest of this situation so they can be prepared. in the first days after the passing of this law it was not very clear how it was going to work and there was some misinformation in the media so please excuse us for your inconvenience.
thanks again for taking your time to review my hotel, I appreciate your comments and promise to positively surprise you with great beds and still the best deal in downtown next time you are around.
Best regards,