“Would stay here again” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Pritchard, BC
“Would stay here again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

We booked this hotel for one night through expedia-the price was great! The bathroom was older but was clean. The king size bed was comfy and the pillows too. Wifi didn't work in the room but did on the courtyard. The location was wonderful-one block off the Malecon-and was quiet once the buses stopped running at night. The staff were so friendly and helpful. Would stay again for a night or two.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

If you want to be in the heart of Puerto Vallarta, this is it. One block to ocean and buried in the center of colonial PV. You can walk to everything. It's an older hotel remodeled and upgraded very nicely; even the wall plugs are new. The staff are very attentive, super friendly and I felt like I was a regular there after my first night. They will go out of their way to help. I've stayed at other hotels in PV and for the money, this one is far better. The AC smelled fresh, unlike some of the others. I had breakfast and lunch there and it was great. I asked them to rush my lunch and they had a plate of delicious enchiladas out in 5 minutes, very impressive for Mexico's normal pace. The rooms are contemporary, clean; the beds are better then what you'll find elsewhere and even the doors are new and sound blocking. This is more of a boutique style hotel; if you're looking for a big resort, this isn't it. I highly recommend this hotel, it's one of the best values in PV.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Redmond, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Since this hotel is really inexpensive to stay at, I assumed it was going to be a dive, but the location seemed perfect for venturing into downtown PV so we went for it anyway. My expectations were completely exceeded. Hotel Rio has charm and character pouring out the seams including an eco-friendly saltwater pool, organic honey shampoo (I have to find where I can buy this stuff- loved it) and welcoming staff. The on-site CoExist Bistro serves up phenomenal food and drinks at reasonable prices (enough so that it’s not just guests who dine here).

My only complaint would be that the beds here aren’t the most comfortable, but I’d say it was worth the tradeoff for being in the heart of downtown for a night. The beach/boardwalk are only a block away, across the street is a souvenir market, and shops and restaurants surround you in every direction. Being pregnant, it was particularly nice to have everything within arms’ reach.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Desiree S
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

One of the best vacations yet. Staff was excellent. Rooms are small but very comfortable and pool is small . Located one block off the beach and the Malecon. Plenty of resturants and bars within waking distance. Felt very safe the whole time we were their Can't say enough about the COEXSIST RESTURANT. Great food and service. Happy hour from 1 to 7 everyday. special thanks to Rego, Victor, Nacho and the rest of the staff for the super service and a very special 20 th anniversary. We made friends to last a life time. See you soon

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Riverside, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed in Hotel Rio Malecon during offseason, the hotel was pretty empty the first 2 nights, probably like. This was my second hotel during my visit to puerto vallarta and I the room that I got was the one that I like the most of all 3 hotels I stayed in. I got a Deluxe King with a kitchenette it has a sink, a small microwave, spoons, knives, soap, a mini fridge, ect.One thing was that the fridge was off and it took 24 hours or so to start getting cold. The bed, pillow, and towels were nice and soft. My room had a balcony which is "shared" with the rooms on the same floor\side. The great thing about this hotel is that is close to everything, the beach is only a street away, the main church and city hall is only a 5 minute walk as well as the malecon. Night clubs are 10 minutes away walking and the romantic zone is 10-15 minutes just crossing the bridge. So if you need a hotel that is close to everything this is the one you want, I saw other hotels like "El ensino" o "Hotel Rosita" but they didnt look nice like this one. The shower is just crystal so no privacy, the toilet is in a little room.

The bad.
Housekeeping didnt go one day to clean my room, I even told them to go clean my room because i was going out to lunch. After I came back 2 hours later the room was still the same, because I wanted to sleep i told them to come the next day instead. They told me there was only 1 maid that day and she was behind.
On the last night my card key didnt work, I took it to reception and the receptionist went back to my room with me to try to open with a new key. It didnt work so they gave us a temporary room next to our room, luckily I left the balcony door open and I was able to get inside my room, ha!

THE WORST!
On my last day, I received a phone call. The person who called said he was the police and that they were looking for cartel members that were staying inside the hotel, after giving him some information about me (dumb me) his tone changed and now he said he was with one mexico's cartel and that they had the manager, receptionist and everyone that work in the hotel tied up because they allowed an enemy cartel stayed in the hotel. To make to story short it turns out everything was fake and it was one of those people that try "virtual kidnapping" you. When I gave the phone to my wife (becuase the men wanted to speak with her) so I can check out what was going on in the hotel, they threaten her with killing us, ect my wife was really scared the whole day and after and we were nervous about staying in the hotel.
Here is the thing, like I said before I was one of the few people staying, this makes me think someone inside the hotel gave the tip of my staying in the hotel and which room I was. Even if it wasnt that, why would reception be transferring phone calls to people who only say the room number they want to be transfer to, they need to start asking for the name of the person who is staying there too! this is poor security on their part!

Final.
apart from the "virtual kidnapping". This hotel its very well located, because I have a mexican cellphone I gonna start asking hotels to dont transfer any calls to my room and you should too!

Room Tip: Rooms with a kitchenette are quitter because are located away from the avenue.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Leviuqse
zvictor, Gerente at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Leviuqse,

First of all, I would like to extend a kind and sincere apology for all the inconveniences suffered during your stay at Hotel Rio.

We are sorry that we failed to clean your room in one occasion, as well as the incident with your room key. Above all that, we are deeply sorry that we had a phone call transferred to your room, without prior verification of your personal information registered in our system.

I would like to take this opportunity to emphasize that our standards are very strict on this matter. In order to ensure the safety and peace of mind of our guests, this information is always verified before connecting calls to the rooms. Unfortunately, in your case, the standards were not met and as a result we have learned a lesson that will help us improve our methods to guarantee the integrity and security of our guests.

Moreover, allow me to make the following suggestion; In the future be very careful when providing strangers with personal information. This holds whether, you are in your country of residence or at any vacation destination. These types of threats are common worldwide, regardless of your nationality, social status or the hotel you are staying in. I urge you to, not only take my word for it, but rather, take a minute of your time to research about this issue. If I may, I suggest you start by clicking on this link http://howsafeismexico.com/index.html which will provide you with more information and statistics on the issue.

Finally, I would like to clarify that our employees at Hotel Rio have been carefully qualified and trained to provide our guest with extraordinary service. They work hard every day to deliver this promise. Nonetheless, we are only human, and it is human nature to once in a while make mistakes and more importantly, learn from them.

I would like to make clear that, under no circumstances, should this unfortunate situation be considered as an act of crime from any of my employees. Those words are grave words, and they harm the hotels’ image, as well as, the honor and reputation of the employees who truly work hard every day to satisfy our guests’ needs.

Please feel free to contact me at any time should you require further assistance.

Warm regards,

Víctor Zamorano
Owatonna, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

Once again, we enjoyed the Hotel Rio Malecon just this last week. The room was excellent and even on the main street, it was quiet at night. The food was great and the last night we needed to stay in PV, they were renovating the kitchen and AC bar area. No problem, there are so many restaurants in the area we just walked a few blocks.

The staff at the front desk is absolutely the best we've ever seen! They speak English and are sincerely helpful. They really like their jobs as it projects in all that they do. If you've never stayed down by the Malecon, this is the hotel to stay at. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Diane R
zvictor, Owner at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Diane,
We truly appreciate the time you took to share your opinion of the service received during your last stay in Hotel Rio Malecon.

We are glad to hear that your experience was as pleasant as other years, even though we were in the middle of improvements. i would like to let you know that the restaurant has reopen and we are ready to serve you.

We’ll keep working everyday to provide you and all of our guests with excellent service and personalized attention.

We will be thrilled to welcome you again soon.

Best Regards,

Victor Zamorano
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

CloseTo The Beach, Close To Everything You Want To Do In Mexico. We Had The Time Of Our Lives Heading Back Asap!
They Go All Out For Holidays Valentines Day Was Great They Filled The Pool With Balloons Shaped Like Hearts. Great Music And The Food Was Amazing!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank bbabbittpuerto
Dear (nombre con el que aparece en TripAdvisor)

Thank you very much for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

Even thou The Rio Has got an excellent centrical location and indeed it is close to all the interesting spots in downtown vallarta, saying that it is close to everything in Mexico might be an overstatement : )

Our daily goals are to keep our guests happy and to satisfy all of their needs, therefore, we’re proud to have accomplished our mission during your stay.

It’ll be an honor to welcome you again soon.

Best Regards,