“Close to everything, nice hotel, except one scary thing..”

Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #40 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I stayed in Hotel Rio Malecon during offseason, the hotel was pretty empty the first 2 nights, probably like. This was my second hotel during my visit to puerto vallarta and I the room that I got was the one that I like the most of all 3 hotels I stayed in. I got a Deluxe King with a kitchenette it has a sink, a small microwave, spoons, knives, soap, a mini fridge, ect.One thing was that the fridge was off and it took 24 hours or so to start getting cold. The bed, pillow, and towels were nice and soft. My room had a balcony which is "shared" with the rooms on the same floor\side. The great thing about this hotel is that is close to everything, the beach is only a street away, the main church and city hall is only a 5 minute walk as well as the malecon. Night clubs are 10 minutes away walking and the romantic zone is 10-15 minutes just crossing the bridge. So if you need a hotel that is close to everything this is the one you want, I saw other hotels like "El ensino" o "Hotel Rosita" but they didnt look nice like this one. The shower is just crystal so no privacy, the toilet is in a little room.

The bad.
Housekeeping didnt go one day to clean my room, I even told them to go clean my room because i was going out to lunch. After I came back 2 hours later the room was still the same, because I wanted to sleep i told them to come the next day instead. They told me there was only 1 maid that day and she was behind.
On the last night my card key didnt work, I took it to reception and the receptionist went back to my room with me to try to open with a new key. It didnt work so they gave us a temporary room next to our room, luckily I left the balcony door open and I was able to get inside my room, ha!

THE WORST!
On my last day, I received a phone call. The person who called said he was the police and that they were looking for cartel members that were staying inside the hotel, after giving him some information about me (dumb me) his tone changed and now he said he was with one mexico's cartel and that they had the manager, receptionist and everyone that work in the hotel tied up because they allowed an enemy cartel stayed in the hotel. To make to story short it turns out everything was fake and it was one of those people that try "virtual kidnapping" you. When I gave the phone to my wife (becuase the men wanted to speak with her) so I can check out what was going on in the hotel, they threaten her with killing us, ect my wife was really scared the whole day and after and we were nervous about staying in the hotel.
Here is the thing, like I said before I was one of the few people staying, this makes me think someone inside the hotel gave the tip of my staying in the hotel and which room I was. Even if it wasnt that, why would reception be transferring phone calls to people who only say the room number they want to be transfer to, they need to start asking for the name of the person who is staying there too! this is poor security on their part!

Final.
apart from the "virtual kidnapping". This hotel its very well located, because I have a mexican cellphone I gonna start asking hotels to dont transfer any calls to my room and you should too!

Room Tip: Rooms with a kitchenette are quitter because are located away from the avenue.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Leviuqse
zvictor, Gerente at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2013

Dear Leviuqse,

First of all, I would like to extend a kind and sincere apology for all the inconveniences suffered during your stay at Hotel Rio.

We are sorry that we failed to clean your room in one occasion, as well as the incident with your room key. Above all that, we are deeply sorry that we had a phone call transferred to your room, without prior verification of your personal information registered in our system.

I would like to take this opportunity to emphasize that our standards are very strict on this matter. In order to ensure the safety and peace of mind of our guests, this information is always verified before connecting calls to the rooms. Unfortunately, in your case, the standards were not met and as a result we have learned a lesson that will help us improve our methods to guarantee the integrity and security of our guests.

Moreover, allow me to make the following suggestion; In the future be very careful when providing strangers with personal information. This holds whether, you are in your country of residence or at any vacation destination. These types of threats are common worldwide, regardless of your nationality, social status or the hotel you are staying in. I urge you to, not only take my word for it, but rather, take a minute of your time to research about this issue. If I may, I suggest you start by clicking on this link http://howsafeismexico.com/index.html which will provide you with more information and statistics on the issue.

Finally, I would like to clarify that our employees at Hotel Rio have been carefully qualified and trained to provide our guest with extraordinary service. They work hard every day to deliver this promise. Nonetheless, we are only human, and it is human nature to once in a while make mistakes and more importantly, learn from them.

I would like to make clear that, under no circumstances, should this unfortunate situation be considered as an act of crime from any of my employees. Those words are grave words, and they harm the hotels’ image, as well as, the honor and reputation of the employees who truly work hard every day to satisfy our guests’ needs.

Please feel free to contact me at any time should you require further assistance.

Warm regards,

Víctor Zamorano

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Once again, we enjoyed the Hotel Rio Malecon just this last week. The room was excellent and even on the main street, it was quiet at night. The food was great and the last night we needed to stay in PV, they were renovating the kitchen and AC bar area. No problem, there are so many restaurants in the area we just walked a few blocks.

The staff at the front desk is absolutely the best we've ever seen! They speak English and are sincerely helpful. They really like their jobs as it projects in all that they do. If you've never stayed down by the Malecon, this is the hotel to stay at. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Diane R
zvictor, Owner at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Diane,
We truly appreciate the time you took to share your opinion of the service received during your last stay in Hotel Rio Malecon.

We are glad to hear that your experience was as pleasant as other years, even though we were in the middle of improvements. i would like to let you know that the restaurant has reopen and we are ready to serve you.

We’ll keep working everyday to provide you and all of our guests with excellent service and personalized attention.

We will be thrilled to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

CloseTo The Beach, Close To Everything You Want To Do In Mexico. We Had The Time Of Our Lives Heading Back Asap!
They Go All Out For Holidays Valentines Day Was Great They Filled The Pool With Balloons Shaped Like Hearts. Great Music And The Food Was Amazing!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank bbabbittpuerto

Dear (nombre con el que aparece en TripAdvisor)

Thank you very much for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

Even thou The Rio Has got an excellent centrical location and indeed it is close to all the interesting spots in downtown vallarta, saying that it is close to everything in Mexico might be an overstatement : )

Our daily goals are to keep our guests happy and to satisfy all of their needs, therefore, we’re proud to have accomplished our mission during your stay.

It’ll be an honor to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very nice the staff are very pleasant to be around ...the rooms are far in between from the elevators which make your journey to the room a task especially if your intoxicated ...the food is nice I would go back !!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Jackal42
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Our stay at the Rio was outstanding. From the top notch front desk staff to the waiters and bartenders in the restaurant everyone was friendly and helpful. The front desk-man spoke to us on our way out to dinner one night and we told him it was our anniversary and we were headed to Trio restaurant for dinner. After we left the hotel he called the Trio and told them it was our anniversary. Were we surprised when we got a free desert with a Happy Anniversary candle! Our room was very comfortable with hot water on demand, a great air conditioning system and,a very comfortable bed with a king size mattress. The hotel restaurant Coexist had great Vallarta food and a quality wait staff. Thanks to all! Our second stay at the Rio will be this December and we are counting the days.

Room Tip: Rooms with the king sized beds are newly remodeled
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chuck10040

Dear Chuck
What a nice review! thank you very, very much. It is great to know that you are going to be back so soon. I think the staff I got right now is one of the best if not my best team in 20 years. thank you for your recognition and for sharing your experience at Hotel Rio Malecon with the rest of the world.

Some guests are like part of our family and we do our best to make everyone feel that way.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Best Regards.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed here for 4 weeks and felt very much at home the entire time. The location was perfect for me to walk everywhere I wanted to go. My room was cleaned daily and my bed was super comfortable. The entire hotel crew was always helpful and friendly. A special thanks to Saul who made me feel welcome and was always up for a chat no matter what time of day or night. I also enjoyed the Coexist Cafe. I ate there several times. The food, drinks and staff were incredible! Thanks to Rigo, Raman, Ricardo for always making sure that I had what I needed. I'm going to miss this place and the people. I will definitely be back to visit all of you soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Kari_2367

Dear Quincy,

We appreciate the time you took to share the experience of your stay at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta.

The satisfaction and comfort of our guests is our priority and continuous goal.

When guests take time to let us know that we have accomplished our mission, we feel full of joy and encouraged to keep working hard to deliver our promise of providing our guest with exceptional attention.

Thanks for your preference.

We will be very glad to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed here in July and was very happy with my choice, thanks to the TA reviews. The hotel had a very good rate for the low season, and I loved the location across the street from the Malecon and within easy and pleasant walking distance to the Romantic Zone.
I think some of the rooms at this hotel have a partial view towards the water from their balconies..
My room happened to look directly across at another building and down on one of those ubiquitous t-shirt and souvenir stores, so there was no ocean view from my room, but I didn't care..I could go across the street and walk along the malecon and see the ocean whenever I wanted.
I loved the small scale of this low-rise hotel, which I much prefer to large, impersonal resorts. This is the kind of place where the friendly front-desk staff greet you by name every time you come in, always with a smile. Thanks, Daniel and Ulysses!
My room was one of the superior doubles.. there was no kitchenette in my room, but it was very nicely updated with a stylish paint finish on the walls, a heavy white room-darkening curtain to block out light in the morning from the balcony window, and a nice walk-in shower. I liked this room better than a few of the older rooms that I saw as I passed by while the maids were cleaning. THese rooms still looked clean but they heavy white stucco walls and looked in need of updating.
Some of the larger rooms do have a kitchenette, but I didn't need one so didn't ask for one.
I found the bed comfortably firm rather than hard. The room was kept spotlessly clean by the friendly maids, and best of all, especially at this very humid time of year, was the excellent and strong room air conditioning.
I was so grateful for it with the hot muggy days and getting very sweaty as I walked around the city. It was so refreshing to come back and turn on the air, which worked immediately and made sleeping very pleasant. I would not have been able to sleep well if the room had not had air conditioning.
There is also a small, stylish restaurant at the hotel, called Coexist,which is also air conditioned, and that seemed to be unusual in PV..I found a lot of restaurants had big open windows and no aircon, so you make a note when you pass one that has it...I had nice breakfasts at the hotel, and the waiters and waitresses were very friendly and efficient.
The road that my room directly overlooked was the busy road on which buses all come in to town, so I was worried that it might be noisy, but when you close them the windows actually insulate the sound fairly well, and then with the air conditioning turned on and creating some white noise, I had no trouble sleeping at all, and woke up refreshed each day.
There is a small pool right next to the restaurant, which some kids enjoyed while I was there but it was a little too small for me and not much area immediately around it to lie on lounge chairs ..it's basically just a small cooling-off pool.
One of the staff told me they are considering creating a new terrace on the roof that would also have a better pool, so that would be nice if it happens.
I would definitely stay here again, as I loved the location and friendliness of the staff. It's small and simple, but exactly my kind of place.
Thanks to all the excellent staff at Hotel Rio for making my week in PV so pleasant. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo