“Great value hotel”

Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #42 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed here for two night prior to a week stay in Sayulita. We picked this hotel for price and location and it did not disappoint. You can walk anywhere from the Hotel Rio. The cafe on site was a great hangout spot too. The pool really wasn't a place to swim as the restaurant tables surround it so it would be awkward and you definitely wouldn't want your kids splashing around in the pool. Also there aren't and lounge chairs anywhere so you can't really relax in the sun. The room was small with two double beds and they were hard like most in Mexico but my husband likes that. Also they are in plastic so they crinkly when you roll over. The bathroom was clean though and there was plenty of hot water. Our bed had some nasty food caked on the side so that was a little gross but otherwise the room was pretty clean. We felt safe here and didn't expect much for the price so overall we were very satisfied.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 14, 2012

After an absence of 20 years, I returned to Puerto Vallarta. I stayed at the Hotel Rio on a recommendation of a family member. The staff at the hotel was excellent ! I had a housekeeping room which was basic but very clean and well kept. I walked everywhere during the day and spent some evenings on the Malecon. The hotel is located across the street from the Malecon and very close to buses. There are many restaurants and shops within walking distance. All of the staff at the hotel are very friendly. It is like visiting with family. I met lots of people and made some good friends. I was there for 2 months and will definately return.

Room Tip: My room faced the side street where the taxis line up. It was great for sunshine and people watching...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Peggy383
Reviewed March 24, 2012

My Dad loves this place! He is always very impressed with how friendly and helpful the staff is and the chamber maids are terrific. I am very comfortable with the accessability I have to the hotel, and happy that my Dad, who is 74 years old is treated like royality and is in a safe environment and that I can reach him through the staff any time of the day or night. Thanks for making his 2 month stay so enjoyable and rewarding for him.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ellenbbailey
Reviewed March 23, 2012

We stayed four nights at the Hotel Rio, two when we landed in Mexico before we headed north up the coast and two when we were on our way home. We loved this place! Just walk out the door and you are right on the malecon, and near everything that makes Puerto Vallarta so fun- restaurants, bars, beautiful people and beaches. Also you can walk in any direction and find the basic stuff you'll need like drinks, and snacks etc.. It's not too quiet, but with the windows shut, (and the AC on), you can get a nice night's sleep. We had two different rooms. One was with a queen bed, recently updated with flat screen etc., balcony with excellent people watching, great! The other was a corner unit that was not updated, but it had a kitchen, and a couch, and an awesome view of the entry to the malecon, and beach from the room and balcony. We actually liked that one better, just for the view, and the fridge and kitchen area. The staff really took good care of us while we were there, and answered every random question I threw their way. I probably drove them crazy, but they still smiled and joked with me throughout my stay. Overall I would definitely recommend this well located, friendly and affordable hotel.

Room Tip: It seems like rooms here fill up pretty quickly just from walk-in traffic, so I recommend booking ah...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights in March. Our first night, we had a room with a double and single bed. It was not comfortable, so we went and got upgraded to a room with a king bed for no charge. The staff are great! Rooms are clean, centrally located near the Malecon and affordable. The restaurant on site was not great, but lots of nearby options to choose from. Overall, the hotel is great and a good price.

Some notes on Puerto Vallarta. We travelled with our two sons, 17 and 20. We went out one night and my oldest wanted to hang out longer, so he stayed on the Malecon. He was walking back along the Malecon by himself one night smoking a cigarette. He was stopped by the policia municipal, accusing him of smoking drugs. He stopped and showed them his cigarette. He was told to empty his pockets onto the ground. He had an iPod and about 700 pesos. He did as instructed. The policia scooped up everything, put it in his pocket and drove off. He chalked it up to life lesson, don't walk alone at night. Three days later, he went for breakfast then needed to go to the bank machine. Again, he was alone. He pulled 800 pesos and was heading back to our hotel. Again, he was stopped by the policia municipal for no reason and told to empty his pockets, with the same result as above. He was not happy! I emailed the Canadian consulate, and was told where to go and what to do, with no assurance that anything would indeed be done. In the end, we didn't do anything, as I did not want to spend my last day wasting my time in a bureaucratic nightmare. Just wanted to let you all know. This definitely colored our opinion of Mexico and has made us question whether a return vacation will be in our future.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank lalenawalter
zvictor, Gerente at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Dear lalenawalter,

We're very sorry to hear what happened to your oldest son during your visit to Puerto Vallarta.

We wish we had known about this situation when it happened, so we could have gone over all of the facts, helped you with the process of approaching the consulate, and maybe found the police officer that behaved in such an unpardonable way.

In Puerto Vallarta, all hotels, restaurants, travel agencies, and citizens in general feel very secure with the safety of our community. We therefore consider it our personal responsibility to prevent this type of event and provide support to victims like you and your son.

Again, I am so sorry about your experience and sincerely hope it has not tainted your view of Puerto Vallarta forever.

I would love to host you again in the future!

Reviewed March 5, 2012

Good place to hang out in Vallarta. Just a few meters from the malecon. The hotel has a lovelly courtyard, but the rooms are very basic.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
zvictor, Gerente at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

Hola HdGowner, Thank you for your review.

The hotel is being constantly updated in order to accomodate the changing needs of our guests.

In 2011 all of the double rooms were renewed and now feature more comfortable beds with new mattresses, new decoration, better lighting, LED flat TVs, more spacious bathrooms, hair dryers, and new china and microwaves in the rooms with kitchenette... You can see pictures in our profile!

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 1, 2012

This hotel is located right at the Malecon in the centre of town, only a block from the Rio Cuale. The staff was friendly and helpful. The basic room are showing their age, but are kept very clean and tidy. The hotel is located on a very busy street and if you are used to complete silence when you sleep it may be wise to bring along earplugs, or ask for a room away from the main street. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean and conveniently located budget hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo