“Great Memories!”

Ranked #36 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Sardis BC
“Great Memories!”
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I first stayed at this hotel in 1977 (and at least 4 more times thru the next decade) when Ramon worked at the front desk and Victor Manuel was playing guitar in the Bar Navigante - where the CoExist restaurant is now. ( I used to take the guitar and also play and sing!)

I was in my 20s and staying at this hotel was the best thing in the world! I LOVED it!! Everyone was friendly, the decor was quaint (no kitchens, no glass windows - only wood shutters! - hard beds - no a/c, just overhead fans...... but we had SUCH a good time!

My point is, you don't need all the luxuries in life to have the greatest experiences in the world! I have since visited and viewed the rooms, and yes, they still aren't 5-star, but they still have the flavor of Mexico!

If you are worried about the hard bed - do what I used to do - bring a memory foam for the bed - it squishes down nicely and the bonus is - you can pack your fragile objects d'arte and booze in your suitcase and it will all be well-padded for the trip home!

If you are worried about noise, bring earplugs! It's not all that bad though.

If you don't have a coffeemaker, you know you can buy a small one in america for only $6 at your local cheap store - pack it in your suitcase with your memory foam (don't forget the filters!) and then leave it behind when you go home! I have done that before!

If you don't have a fridge, you can buy a really inexpensive foam cooler and get some ice and there you go! The fun of staying in the downtown area and paying inexpensive rates is the opportunity to improvise!

You can't experience the real authentic PV unless you have stayed downtown and this little hotel - The Rio - still has my heart. Those memories are what makes PV near and dear to my heart even 35 years later...., even though I now stay in the 5 star hotels.

Who knows?

I might just stay at the RIO one of these coming days! The recent tour through there has me pining to go back! The RIO is in the middle of everything you want to experience in PV!!!

AND: I want to meet The owner, another Victor - sounds like a delightful guy from his comments on here!

Room Tip: Ask and you shall receive!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank kahlua55

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Vancouver
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The first and foremost thing I'd like to comment on is that this hotel is in a GREAT location.
Just two minutes away, across one busy street and voila....your there on the Malecon beach sea wall.For a kilometer (or two) in either direction you will be walking past shops, resteraunts and tourist attractions on one side and an ocean view on the other, all just out your front door.

Vendors along the way are friendly and will only ask you to buy something twice at the very most.There is no overbearing sales pitches that take place here, just friendly smiles and great negiotable deals.

The whole area is very clean and well looked after and there is very little to almost absolutley no garbage left on this regularly cleaned tourist area.My wife, an avid shopper thouroughly enjoyed this beach strip as it had much to offer. Good restreaunts and cheaper little eaterys were just around the corner. The area is fantastic and the Hotel Rio is right there in the middle of it.

And now for the hotel.....

The Mexican lady(forgot her name) who manages the place is a very sweet and helpful lady.
She always took time to smile and answer all of our questions.

We are the type of travelers who are always out and about and don't spend much time hanging around the hotel.Our needs are basic....give us a good CLEAN ,SAFE hotel and we are happy. The hotel Rio met all of these requirements and at a budget price.

We stayed there on two occasions and the rooms to the right(of reception) seem to be a little older, while the ones on the left seemed to be more modern with a nicer bed.There was nothing fancy about either side, however, both rooms were more than adequate for what we were looking for.

On the down side.....

The swimming pool is small and shaded most of the day and if you decided to swim in it, you would have the feeling of being on stage with the restaurant for your audience. I never saw anyone in it once.

The restaurant was average and some of the guys weren't all that friendly as far as being enthusiatic about service.

These were both minor tolerable things however and the hotel still gave us great value for our vacation dollar.

Room Tip: Rooms on left side had a nicer ambience and nicer bed,Rooms on the left front have a partial ocean v...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KevandJho
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed here for a couple days with our kids. The place was nice and well kept up. They have a good restaurant. They are 1 block away from the Malecon. They have a nice pool and a business center with internet if you need it. The rooms have a tv and fridge in them. Basic but nice and a pretty good deal if you are looking for it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank David B
zvictor, Owner at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, October 22, 2011
We are always trying to improve and your comments motivate us to keep on doing so.
We are happy you got to enjoy our chemical free pool. : ) (we long for the day all pools will stop polluting with all those unnecessary chemicals.)
Hope to see you all again!
Bloomington, Minnesota
Reviewed June 17, 2011

We went to Puerto Vallarta for our Honeymoon and had never been to Mexico before. The hotel staff made us feel at home and very comfortable. The rooms were very clean and well taken care of. The employees took the time to help us find places to go shopping and gave us ideas of things to do on our trip. The location of the hotel is perfect, close to everything and everywhere we wanted to go. We highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: Email the hotel with any requests
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank LGubek
Wow! congratulations to both of you!
super stoked to hear you came to Mexico for the first time.
I am designing a honeymoon/anniversary suite that will be ready just in time for you to celebrate your first. think about it ; )

wish you the best!!
Mexico
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Though the hotel was not particularly cheap because I went during Semana Santa, the double room we stayed in was clean and comfortable. The air conditioning and TV worked fine, and we had a little balcony overlooking the street. There was a small pool and patio downstairs, though I didn't swim. The location was excellent, right in the hubbub of downtown and a block from the beach, and near many local bus routes. And there were two convenience stores on the corner. At night things could get noisy, but I brought earplugs and was fine.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank madrutravel
buenos aires argentina
Reviewed May 1, 2011

When I checked in, the woman at the desk told me that my room was on the second floor (3rd by U.S. thinking). I asked for a first floor room. She tried, but the computer wouldn't let her make the change. The pep talk about the restaurant was a bit much. Buying prepaid vouchers etc. . One would think that their restaurant was the old one in town; not so. The bathroom had neither a towel rack or even a hook. There were no hand towels, only bath sized. The towels were kept on the dresser, so if you took a shower and forgot to take a towel,,,,,, The lighting on the stairs was poor. The hotel was very attractive, in an excellent location and the internet worked perfectly. The bed was very comfortable. I sleep with a mask, so the lack of thin curtains didn't bother me.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank XchocolateX
Poughkeepsie, NY
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Hotel Rio was clean, reasonably-priced, had helpful and hard-working staff, and a convenient location.

On the down side, they don't supply washcloths, the mattresses are hard (though this didn't bother me, and I'm getting the impression this may not be unusual in Mexico), I couldn't access my email there, and, most frustratingly, their web site is non-secure and they don't respond to emails.

Regarding my inability to access my email, the staff made great effort to assist me, but, for some mysterious reason, I was unable to log in, possibly partly due to using a foreign keyboard (this may or may not be the norm, though the next 2 keyboards I encountered in other nearby locations had U.S. key arrangements and I had no difficulty signing in). I did mention the non-secure web site to staff at the hotel. As far as their not replying to emails (from myself and another party) staff told me that they had.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends