Hotel Hortencia
$299
$181
$139
  • Breakfast included
Villa Premiere Boutique Hotel & Romantic Getaway(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$242
Bookit.com
Now Amber Puerto Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$307
$257
  • Beachfront
Velas Vallarta(Puerto Vallarta)
$370
$286
  • Breakfast included
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$449
$152
  • Pool
Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)(Great Value!)
$159
Marriott Hotels
  • Pool
All reviewshot waterwalking distancetvacoxxopillowswifivallartaromanticamaleconpvnightlife
Reviewed February 24, 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Hortencia recently for our second year in a row, purely because of the owners. I've found that budget hotels in PV are always very clean, and the Hortencia is no exception, but Nina (the daughter) and Jorge and Judita (Nina's parents/the owners) are beyond compare. It's a warm welcome upon arriving, and hugs and kisses all around when leaving. One glitch is that upon arriving, they didn't seem to have our reservation even though they had confirmed our reservation by email a few days before our arrival. They had a room, but I'm not sure what would have happened if they were full.

In our eight nights visiting, only one of the front desk staff had less than excellent English. We didn't see as much of Jorge and Judy this year, as Nina is pretty much running the place - she is an excellent resource, and extremely competent.

We've always stayed in the economy room @ 450 pesos/night - small, two 'very firm' double beds, with fan only (have never needed AC). Some of the rooms are a little 'rustic' - the one table space in the room was sloped, and the bathroom had some breakdown of the shower bricks. We didn't find the housekeeping to be overly conscientious this year, and we had to ask for a bathmat on a couple of different occasions - maybe we weren't tipping enough? Floors and surfaces were clean enough, but not clean enough to eat off!

We love the location, as it really feels like you're in Mexico, but it's still easy if you're not fluent in Spanish - there's great pollo nearby, and around the corner you can buy a baggie of papaya for 5 pesos at a little shopfront fruit vendor. Harry's Bar (reminded us of Cheers of TV sitcom fame) is one street over - we met Harry on the street one night when walking home at 1 am, and he offered to buy us a couple of tequilas! The hotel is walking distance to everything, though be careful on the cobblestones if you're wearing anything higher than an inch and a half heels!! There's a really cheap internet cafe a couple of doors down from the hotel, though Hortencia also offers free internet if you bring a laptop. One block west on Madero, toward the beach, is an amazing cake shop named Charme that sells lattes for 17 pesos. Oh, and the free music coming from somewhere nearby until the wee hours added to the charm. Just in case, earplugs come in handy!

So, given the quirks, would we return to the Hortencia? - It's the only place we'd stay in PV! The little quirks are minor annoyances at worst, and add to the personality of the hotel and the area. It's all about the service and feeling like one of the family at the Hotel Hortencia!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank chrisandkris
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Greetings. My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Hortencia this past weekend. We were looking something, clean, simple, and centrally located. The Hotel Hortencia was exactly that. For 600 pesos we had a small, clean room with A/C and a TV. We stayed in room 22 on the inside courtyard.

For 600 pesos it is a great deal, but it came with some quirks:

Saturday night I could hear music from the cantina close by until probably 1AM. For light sleepers like me, this is no fun.

The bedroom and bathroom aren't entirely separated so one can literally hear everything going on in the bathroom. This is no big deal, but a quirk. We had no problem with it, but others might.

The hotel required us to pay every day for our room. The official exchange rate was about 14.4 pesos to the dollar, and the hotel would only offer about 11 (or something close to it).

I tried to book online or at least find out if they had any rooms available. I never got a reply and just showed up in person. Fortunately, they had a room.

I would stay there again if I was looking for a budget, central location.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank drewmeister
Reviewed October 6, 2008

I stayed at Hotel Hortencia for 3 week's in August 2008. I will always stay there when I go to Puerto Vallarta. The owner's and their family are great. My room was kept spotless. You are alway's greeted with a smile and "Hello". They give excellent tip's on where to eat and what to see. Gilmar's was a great place to eat,just like Nina said it would be. This was my 2nd time to Vallarta. the 1st time, i stayed on the beach, in an all inclusive resort and spa. I am so glad I found this Hotel. It's close to the beach and so many other shop's and resteraunt's,all with-in easy walking distance. i didn't want to leave,it was a close to home feeling.Thank-you to everyone at Hotel Hortencia!!! Sally

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
3  Thank offtoPV
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Wonderful little hotel in the center of town.. Very very cheap and very clean and near all of the fantastic taco stands in town!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank UTgirl0224
Reviewed May 4, 2008

Hotel Hortencia provides a very nice room for just 45.00 per night in Puerto Vallarta. It is located in the historic district with the beach just a few blocks away. We used city buses to and from the main bus station and found that the stops are a couple blocks from the hotel heading into town and less than a block away heading out.

When we arrived they didn't show our name in their registry or in their record of prepayment by western union. We had copies of the email correspondence to show to them. The owner said no problem and had them find us a room right away before they had cleared up this paperwork issue. They didn't have the category of room we asked for, so they upgraded us at no cost. The owner is one of the most gracious persons I have ever met. He made us feel welcome and at home.

It turned out that the reason they didn't show us in their paperwork at first glance had to do with me listing our reservation with our last name and both of our first names. I think that this threw them off because a 3rd name in Spanish is generally a second last name. In the future I plan to just use my own first and last name and leave my husband out of it for clarity of reservations in Mexico.

Sending prepayment by Western Union was a new one for me. I was uneasy about it, but it worked out fine. I would recommend not doing this over the internet with a credit card, however, because my credit card interpreted this as a cash withdrawl and charged me fees I did not expect.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple