WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #90 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Menorca
“Great hosts, bit noisy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

there are lots of cheap hotels in this area of Puerto Vallarta...the old town, the funkier part, which is where I like to be, but this was easily the best for one reason...the owners are just so friendly and helpful, they genuinely want you to have a good time. Amongst the friendliest hotels I have ever stayed in anywhere.
It's all pretty basic but everything was adecuate...lots of hot water, clean, drinking water, etc.
the location is also great as it is just a few blocks from the beach
The only down-side was the noisy bar next door open til 3 or 4 in the morning with very loud music. Some of the rooms are quieter, we changed rooms and it made a big difference. However if you are a light sleeper, like my wife, you'll still hear the noise...and reluctantly we had to change hotels because of this. On the other hand although they are buiding new rooms at the moment there was no noise from this as they didn't start until 11 by which time we were out exploring.
they have a proper safe for you valuables, but make sure they put them in the safe. The first day they had placed them in an accessible drawer above the safe and as there are a lot of people (friends, family, assistants going in and out, this made me a bit uneasy once I realized it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank FrancisMenorca

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

Travelers BEWARE! I give my recent stay at the Hotel Hortencia (2/7-2/12/12) an overall 3 star rating. The reason for the "average" review are for the following reasons:
NEGATIVE:
1.) the beds are stiff as a board (although the pillows were SUPER comfy)
2.) My AC unit did not work. They did have an unannounced repair man in my room one of the days I came back from being out on the town. Apparently he was unable to solve the problem. HOWEVER, the ceiling fan was plenty sufficient in keeping me cool. I even actually used the sheets from being too chilly during my sleep at night
3.) Get a receipt!! I made a $100 peso deposit for my towels. Upon checkout they had NO "record" of my desposit anywhere and it took literally 20 minutes and 2 different phone calls to confirm with the lady who initially checked me in that I did in fact made a payment. I DID get my $100 pesos returned, but what a headache. LISTEN UP: Jorge (the owner) and his staff are FABULOUS and very honest and trustworthy! My frustration here comes from my checkout process when I had a cab waiting and the front desk does not keep a "bank" of $$ for these kinds of issues/situations.
4.) MAJOR construction going on 6 days (mon-Sat) a week beginning at 7am 'til evening hours. I got absolutely NO sleep. It appears as though one section of the hotel that is getting a complete re-do and does not look to be completed anytime soon. Check with the hotel prior to booking.
5.) BASIC, BASIC, BASIC ammenities in the room. Small fridge (didn't even use it because I don't think it was functioning to full capacity). No dresser, a small night stand, just a single pole with about 4-5 hangars, and no phone (although I did have a TV).
POSITIVE:
1.) Located right in the "village" with easy access to taco stands, Oxxo "quickie marts", restaurants, bars and clubs, flea markets and the beach. Everything is literally within a 2-5 block radius
2.) Super friendly staff! My name is Tomas (yes a white boy with a latin name) and I was quicky nick named "Tomey"
3.) Clean rooms! The rooms upon arrival were well kept, clean, and functioned like your would expect. Good water pressure and temperature consistent, toilets flushed ok, and the housekeeping staff were on top of things.

Over-all Hortel Hortencia was a pleasant and AFFORDABLE ($350 pesos = $27 a night) stay. Would I stay here again? MAYBE, as long as there was no construction going on. Based on price, location and staff alone this place is a 5 star. Again, basic hotel, but in the "real estate world" LOCATION! LOCATION! LOCATION!

Room Tip: No elevator. I lugged my heavy suit case up 3 flights of stairs to room #8. Dark stairways at night...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Pollito F
Puerto Escondido, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

Jorge and his staff are very friendly and genuinely helpful. The first room we were given had an intense musty/mouldy odour so we asked to be moved and with no problems and no fuss we were given a different room. This room was lovely and included a decent sized kitchenette. Location is excellent. Overall this place is very good value for money.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Fi-kat
British Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

I dedided on Hotel Hortencia based on previous reviews to stay for a couple of nights on either end of a stay in Melaque and found it to be everything I had hoped for. I would definately like to return to stay a week or more at hotel Hortencia. I really enjoyed the location, as well as the owners and of course the rooms. Location was only a few blocks from the beach and very close to great restraunts, shopping and both the local buses and the South side stop for the Primara Plus First Class bus line. Jorge Junior was super helpful in all of the planning of our stay and a really genuine, great guy to deal with throughout our visit with the hotel. Everyone there was really great all around. The rooms were just perfect for our needs and even though they are in the process of rennovating, which they are doing a great job of, they somehow seem to be manageing to do them with little to no inconvenience to the guests. We had rooms that faced the street and rooms that faced the courtyard and enjoyed both. All in all a great stay and a big thank you for everything to the folks at Hotel Hortensia..

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lauralye
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2011

Afyer hving issues with hotel gaviota down the street which was 2x the price with absolutely nothing included but a jackhammmer ib the courtyatd i called hotel hortencia as i should have just gone there instead from the beginning!
Family run .. I called jorge jr and he helped me get my $ back from hotel gaviota and sinced id emailed him the day before and explained my situation he had a room ready 4 me
So after the noghtmare of hotel gaviota where i froze all night .. Theres NO hot water at all! And nothing included in thw room except constricyin jackhammering. In the courtyard .. It was a sweet welcome by jorge jr...he did everythong to help me whenever possible over my next 4 nights there.. They had a bbq on the rooftop i was invited to .. Where i was offered quesidillas chicken steak and beer ;) .. Grey friendly an warm and welcoming people! Was great way for me to settle in as a single woman travelling fron canada alone i felt truly welcome at hotel
Hortencia .. The next 4 nights were great! Had cable wifi and truly warm sleeps w hot water showers and great water pressure also... Convieniently located quality 5 star customer service these people dont want ur money .. They want to ensure u come back as their friend! Priceless! Youll never find better staff and the hotel itself is clean quiet and provides everytjong u need to be comfortable! Im going back there for sure ;)))))
Tjanks jorge jr and sr.. Xoxo much love and thanks .. Hayley from vancouver ..

• Stayed January 2011
8 Thank Ladyokane
Nanaimo, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

I have been here for 3 days, and cannot say anything bad about the hotel. The staff is wonderful, Jorge and his son as well as other staff speak English. The room I have is on the street side with a balcony and of course there is traffic but not unbearable. If you have a problem sleeping, use earplugs, but I really did not need them. Air conditioner is extra, but even in June, with the temp around the 30C mark, I found the ceiling fan was enough to circulate the air. The large room has 2 double beds, a tv, and a separate large bathroom and a large balcony with a screened patio door, which does a great job of keeping the noise out of the room, but I did not close the door at all, except for when I left the room. I would definitely recommend this place, and if you go to their web site, there is a toll free USA phone number and if you ask for Jorge (George) and stay for longer than a day or so, he will give you a great rate. I have checked out other hotels in the Romantica Zone, including the Yazmin and Posada De Roger, but prefer this hotel, as it is brighter and does not seem to have as many gringos in this area.. It is like a typical Mexican neighbourhood, with lots of taco stands & Mom & Pop restaurants. For a bright room and a great location, some 5 blocks from the Malecon, to me this is a 5 star hotel. BTW the comida corrida lunch meals in the area are about 50 pesos with complete meal and very filling. I went to the flea market, upstairs, and had a great meal for 35 pesos.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
8 Thank jimmieddd
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

I didn't know anything about this hotel when I came in to ask if they had any rooms available. Luckily for us, they did. Our room (#19) was on the 3rd floor facing the street. It was a bit noisy, with lots of traffic going by, but you can also hear music, birds, people talking as they go by, and I found the sounds to be very nice and even quite relaxing.

The rooms are pretty big-- two double beds-- with a TV, fridge, lots of closet space, and a modern bathroom, all painted a tangerine color. Everything was very clean.

It is a few short blocks from the beach where there are lots of beachside restaurants, and in the old part of town to the south of Rio Cuale. Close to bus stops, taxi stands, etc... I was very pleased with the location.

The people working at the front desk were very friendly, and always had a smile and a few kind words as we came and went during the day. They were eager to help, too, when we asked them logistical questions, often consulting among themselves to give us the most accurate information.

There is also wireless internet in the rooms, which was a welcome surprise, and helped a lot with planning.

We stayed here 8 nights, and were very happy with it. Of course, if your style is more those all-inclusive mammoths further up the beach, then you won't like it here!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple