“Very good if on a budget”
Review of Hotel Hortencia

Hotel Hortencia
Ranked #76 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed February 11, 2012

Jorge and his staff are very friendly and genuinely helpful. The first room we were given had an intense musty/mouldy odour so we asked to be moved and with no problems and no fuss we were given a different room. This room was lovely and included a decent sized kitchenette. Location is excellent. Overall this place is very good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Fi-kat

Reviewed February 16, 2011

I dedided on Hotel Hortencia based on previous reviews to stay for a couple of nights on either end of a stay in Melaque and found it to be everything I had hoped for. I would definately like to return to stay a week or more at hotel Hortencia. I really enjoyed the location, as well as the owners and of course the rooms. Location was only a few blocks from the beach and very close to great restraunts, shopping and both the local buses and the South side stop for the Primara Plus First Class bus line. Jorge Junior was super helpful in all of the planning of our stay and a really genuine, great guy to deal with throughout our visit with the hotel. Everyone there was really great all around. The rooms were just perfect for our needs and even though they are in the process of rennovating, which they are doing a great job of, they somehow seem to be manageing to do them with little to no inconvenience to the guests. We had rooms that faced the street and rooms that faced the courtyard and enjoyed both. All in all a great stay and a big thank you for everything to the folks at Hotel Hortensia..

Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lauralye
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Afyer hving issues with hotel gaviota down the street which was 2x the price with absolutely nothing included but a jackhammmer ib the courtyatd i called hotel hortencia as i should have just gone there instead from the beginning!
Family run .. I called jorge jr and he helped me get my $ back from hotel gaviota and sinced id emailed him the day before and explained my situation he had a room ready 4 me
So after the noghtmare of hotel gaviota where i froze all night .. Theres NO hot water at all! And nothing included in thw room except constricyin jackhammering. In the courtyard .. It was a sweet welcome by jorge jr...he did everythong to help me whenever possible over my next 4 nights there.. They had a bbq on the rooftop i was invited to .. Where i was offered quesidillas chicken steak and beer ;) .. Grey friendly an warm and welcoming people! Was great way for me to settle in as a single woman travelling fron canada alone i felt truly welcome at hotel
Hortencia .. The next 4 nights were great! Had cable wifi and truly warm sleeps w hot water showers and great water pressure also... Convieniently located quality 5 star customer service these people dont want ur money .. They want to ensure u come back as their friend! Priceless! Youll never find better staff and the hotel itself is clean quiet and provides everytjong u need to be comfortable! Im going back there for sure ;)))))
Tjanks jorge jr and sr.. Xoxo much love and thanks .. Hayley from vancouver ..

• Stayed: January 2011
8  Thank Ladyokane
Reviewed July 1, 2010

I have been here for 3 days, and cannot say anything bad about the hotel. The staff is wonderful, Jorge and his son as well as other staff speak English. The room I have is on the street side with a balcony and of course there is traffic but not unbearable. If you have a problem sleeping, use earplugs, but I really did not need them. Air conditioner is extra, but even in June, with the temp around the 30C mark, I found the ceiling fan was enough to circulate the air. The large room has 2 double beds, a tv, and a separate large bathroom and a large balcony with a screened patio door, which does a great job of keeping the noise out of the room, but I did not close the door at all, except for when I left the room. I would definitely recommend this place, and if you go to their web site, there is a toll free USA phone number and if you ask for Jorge (George) and stay for longer than a day or so, he will give you a great rate. I have checked out other hotels in the Romantica Zone, including the Yazmin and Posada De Roger, but prefer this hotel, as it is brighter and does not seem to have as many gringos in this area.. It is like a typical Mexican neighbourhood, with lots of taco stands & Mom & Pop restaurants. For a bright room and a great location, some 5 blocks from the Malecon, to me this is a 5 star hotel. BTW the comida corrida lunch meals in the area are about 50 pesos with complete meal and very filling. I went to the flea market, upstairs, and had a great meal for 35 pesos.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
8  Thank jimmieddd
Reviewed March 9, 2010

I didn't know anything about this hotel when I came in to ask if they had any rooms available. Luckily for us, they did. Our room (#19) was on the 3rd floor facing the street. It was a bit noisy, with lots of traffic going by, but you can also hear music, birds, people talking as they go by, and I found the sounds to be very nice and even quite relaxing.

The rooms are pretty big-- two double beds-- with a TV, fridge, lots of closet space, and a modern bathroom, all painted a tangerine color. Everything was very clean.

It is a few short blocks from the beach where there are lots of beachside restaurants, and in the old part of town to the south of Rio Cuale. Close to bus stops, taxi stands, etc... I was very pleased with the location.

The people working at the front desk were very friendly, and always had a smile and a few kind words as we came and went during the day. They were eager to help, too, when we asked them logistical questions, often consulting among themselves to give us the most accurate information.

There is also wireless internet in the rooms, which was a welcome surprise, and helped a lot with planning.

We stayed here 8 nights, and were very happy with it. Of course, if your style is more those all-inclusive mammoths further up the beach, then you won't like it here!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank v0yageuse2
Reviewed February 4, 2010

The family who owns this hotel is wonderful, one of the nicest I have met in my many travels to Mexico. Their English is great - like most people in PV. We stayed on the street side and the bathrooms are newer than the other side, but the traffic is a bit noisy. But, we slept with the fan on and the balcony door closed and it was no problem. One night we stayed on the other side of the hotel on the first floor and there is a club that shares a wall with that room and the bass went on until 5am - not a good night's sleep! I would suggest rooms 19-21.

I like the location of this hotel because it is in a little bit less touristy spot - plenty of Mexican owned places to eat. You must go across the street to "El Chef", it's a little street taco stand with fish tacos and burritas and the greatest owner - Fidel. If you want to practice your Spanish he is the guy - super friendly and his marlin tacos were my favorite!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank wildplummosaics
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Good stuff:

Super nice staff (really truly awesome, like nicest ever), great location, booked a zipline trip for us at a great price.

Bad stuff:

The room was very small, kinda smelly, noisy (on main floor very close to reception), and overpriced (admittedly very good value for Puerto Vallarta, where everything is overpriced, but in many other Mexican cities that price would be insane for a room of this quality). There was a mix-up over the price of the room (an honest but annoying error on their part) but it was resolved in our favor very quickly & painlessly.

My boyfriend said he would recommend it to a friend (on the basis of staff friendliness), but I wouldn't on the basis of the crappy room. I'll click yes to be nice but take that with a grain of salt!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple