“Loved the Buggy Tour the 1st Time - Not so much this time” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Unique ATV Tours

Unique ATV Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are rated by Trip Advisor as one of the top tour companies in Puerto Vallarta. We are a tour company specializing in atv, rhino, dune buggy, and atv/canopy combo tours. We are the only American owned atv company in Vallarta, and feature more tour choices than any company in Vallarta.
Roy, Utah
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Loved the Buggy Tour the 1st Time - Not so much this time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Two years ago a group of our friends all went on the Dune Buggy Tour through Unique (Puerto Vallarta Tours). When we went two years ago we had a blast. We had so much fun that we had some new people in our group and recommended that they do this tour. Upon arriving at Unique we were disappointed. The outdoor area used to be a little place you could buy food and things and a place to sit and wait for your groups turn. Now it is filled with greasy ATV's and Buggy's. When we left the shop last time I felt safe as the guides would stop traffic and let our whole group proceed through intersections. Not this time. We were pretty much on our own through the town. Several of the Buggy's broke down....the one my husband and I had completely broke down on the trail. The rest of the group went on while we waited with the Mechanic / Guide while he replaced practically everything in the engine. Still no luck so he finally took us to the Predator Set in his buggy. We ended up riding in the dune buggy that my sister was driving. Last time we got to go to a beautiful beach for lunch....I think because of all the problems with stopping for the broken buggy's we did not have time...they asked us if we wanted to stop at a little place on the trail. We declined as we know that it would not be like last time. The guides were very nice and helpful, but we left feeling a little ripped off. We all agreed we had 10,000 times more fun the first time we did this tour 2 years ago. We left feeling disappointed.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Laurie H

Richmond
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Good tour, besides my injury...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I had a good time with my two friends! Henri or Henrique was our tour guide, and he was very friendly and was a great tour guide. We went in May, so it wasn't a busy tourist season, therefore the group was just myself and my 2 friends. Unfortunately about half way in, I ended up hitting a rock and cutting my upper lip badly that I had to go into town and get stitches :(. Henri was really helpful though, and I'm so glad he was friendly and was with me throughout the whole ordeal so I felt much better. So after getting stitched up, we finished the rest of the tour!!
I enjoyed the tour, and I did have fun driving the ATV up until the point where I injured myself, but it was a freak accident that I highly doubt this sort of thing happens often. I'd still go ATVing again!
I have a part of Mexico I will always have.. on my FACE. HAH!! :)

Visited May 2013
Wellington, Kansas
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Lots of fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We did the dune buggy tour, and had a great time. Pancho was our tour guide and did a great job! If you do this tour, be sure to wear old clothes and shoes, because you will get dirty! Well, if your husband hits every puddle like mine did, you'll get dirty! My husband did all the driving because the dune buggy is stick shift. The drive through town is a little scary...you are darting through the narrow streets of PV with every other vehicle (buses included). We stopped at El Eden, which was beautiful! We were not able to swim in the river because it was too high from all of the rain. The next stop was the tequila tour. It was ok, but not something that we were very interested in. We got to taste several different types of "tequila." I have never taken a shot of tequila in my life and should not have been able to stand up, let alone walk, after all the tasting, so I don't think there was any alcohol in the "tequila." We felt kinda bad for the videographer who went along on the trip, because he isn't paid by this company. He makes his money off of the videos. He did a great job, but we didn't purchase the video DVD, because we felt it was too expensive. Overall, this was so much fun. We booked this through www.puertovallartatours.net and felt like we got a really good price.

Las Vegas, Nevada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Welcome to the jungle!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I saw the rain was letting up last week and decided to go an ATV tour. Needless to say 30 min deep into the tour it began pouring rain, so we couldn't do the typical tour based on huge puddles everywhere, but we did find do an alternate route, riding through the most incredible jungle in the pouring rain, which made this an unforgettable experience. Stopped at the restaurant on the way back to town for free tequila samples and lunch, the food was pretty good there (it's not included FYI). They sell you a video at the end, which is set to AC/DC and fun. I'd do it again!

San Diego, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Broken Down ATV's; Hours of Waiting at Bars; No Open Riding”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was rough, I've done ATV's in Mexico before (Cabo) and I was hoping for the same experience but this was the exact opposite. The machines that were given pretty much broke down in every way possible during the ride. There were about 15-20 people on our ride and within the first 30-40 minutes a couple had a flat tire (no patch kit was brought by Unique either), a ATV ran out of gas (not sure how you can have no gas when you know we are going on a few hour tour), and then another just flat out broke down. Each time this happened it caused the whole group to stop and wait for 15-30+ minutes.

Then by the time we got to the first 'break' point it was a small bar with beers and we had to wait there for over an hour while the other group was taken to zip-line. Here I am an hour in only to sit and wait at the shady bar (who is tied in to Unique) and pretty much the only thing I can get is chips and beers. After an hour of literally just sitting there waiting to go we started up again. Because so many ATV's had broken down I was now forced to have a random person ride on the back of my single unit since they no longer had an ATV to ride in, which means I couldn't go fast, hit bumps, etc...pretty much worthless.

Then I had to watch a mom and her daughter hit a rock, flip their ATV right on top of them, and run over to lift the ATV of the daughter's leg, awesome =/. What a mess, the leader didn't notice the line had broke for another few minutes while the kid was on the road in rough condition, luckily no breaks.

After this (25 minutes) we ended up at another restaurant only to sit there for 2 HOURS, pretending to learn about tequila, and pretty much trapped to by food and drink from this restaurant which I am sure also kicksback to the ATV company. I literally felt trapped and a 3 hour tour was quickly turning into 5 1/2 hours of hell with no riding. The leader knew this was a joke and tried to offer me 'extended special tour' up the mountain to make it right, a.k.a. riding behind him up the mountain and back down, lame. That is the other thing, no open riding. When I did this in Cabo, we had a tour through the land, checking things out, and then we had some free time to ride up and down the beach however we wanted, this was literally following a gas filled engine in a line for hours while moving over to the side for passing cars, no bueno. Not worth the 750-850 pesos it costs (depending on what rate you end up getting). Do yourself a favor, find a different company or better yet, choose a different activity.

4 Thank The_Trusted_Traveler
ghcosmo, Owner at Unique ATV Tours, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
We do carry, and did have, a tire patch kit on this and all tours. However, the flat tire that occured on this tour was the result of the driver sideswiping a large rock, and tearing an un repaireable hole in the tire.

Secondly, the ATV did not run out of gas. It stalled after crossing the river because it had water in the intake. That happens sometimes in the rainy season when clients go thru the river too fast.
We did have another ATV stall also due to too much water in the intake, which circumvents the electric starter, and the ATV's then have to be pull started, but because the rope was wet it broke. It did take some time to repair, but this is an infrequent problem.

I'm sorry you were not able to "go fast, and hit bumps", but we tell our our clients before leaving on the tour that this is a tour, not open riding. We have people with all different ATV skill sets on the tour, and it would be dangerous for them if we let a few experienced riders "go fast. Furthermore, the local authorities prohibit us from "going fast" to protect the locals. The guide said he had to stop the tour several times to tell you to stop going fast, and driving recklessly. That also contributed to the line being broken, and the accident (the person was not hurt).

When we got to our last stop at the restaurant, the guide said you continued to complain about not enough riding, and not being able to "go fast". He agreed to take you back up the mountain while the others were eating, and taking the tequila tour, but only if you abided by the local rules. You didn't, and after several warning he brought you back to the restaurant.

If you wanted more atv riding then we have 5 other tours that offer just that. And we are the only company in Vallarta that does offer longer tours, more ATV riding, less stops, and more open riding for the experienced ATV rider. Look on our website for the two Sierra Madre "EXTREME" tours, the Chacala/Yelapa Tapa tour, the Botanical Gardens tour, and the Mayto Beach tour. All these tours are exclusive to Unique ATV Tours, and offer some opportunities for open riding and going fast. However, the Rio Cuale/Jungle Trek tour that you chose is our shortest, least expensive tour, and is designed to accomodate even novice riders who want to explore the surrounding villages and mountains. We have taken thousands of riders on this tour and 99% come back very happy. I'm sorry you were not, but if you had chosen the right tour for you, then I'm sure you would have returned satisfied.