“Great trip but beware of driveway! My son flipped over.”
Review of Unique ATV Tours

Unique ATV Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are rated by Trip Advisor as one of the top tour companies in Puerto Vallarta. We are a tour company specializing in atv, rhino, dune buggy, and atv/canopy combo tours. We are the only American owned atv company in Vallarta, and feature more tour choices than any company in Vallarta.
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Seven members of our family booked an ATV-canopy tour through Unique ATV Tours during our cruise stop in Puerto Vallarta. You can save quite a bit of money by booking directly instead of taking a ship shore excursion, but you'll need to get your own transportation to the departure office. We took a city bus from right outside the cruise terminal and walked a couple of blocks from the bus stop in PV to the office, then reversed the process going back to the ship. This worked fine for us but some people might prefer a taxi, also readily available. If you want a taxi, go outside the gates of the terminal and you'll save a little money. When we arrived at the office they were ready for us. Unfortunately, it was a very rainy day and some of us were planning to add the zip-line to the trip. We were informed that there was only one more zip-line available that day due to the rain and had to do that first instead of at the end of the ride, which was not a problem and we appreciated that the staff arranged it so those who wanted to zip-line could do so. Unfortunately my son and his wife, riding at the back of the group, never made it out of the steep driveway. They were on a double bike and it flipped before they hit the street. We didn't know about this until we had ridden quite a way, but were assured they were OK and resting back at the office. The rest of us continued with the trip and had a good time. Some of us waited at the restaurant while some did the zip-line. The phones were our so we couldn't check on our son and daughter-in-law but were assured they were OK. We were disappointed that we had to wait around the restaurant for about a half hour after the zip-liners were finished, as one of the guides had gone somewhere and was late getting back. We were cold and wet and would have liked to have moved on much sooner. Once back on the bikes, we had an enjoyable ride through. It was very rainy, but that seemed to add to the experience as we splashed through puddles. The scenery was nice, a lot of it along the river. The tequila stop mentioned by others was at the restaurant by the zip-line, so that didn't upset us. The other stop was closed because of the weather, so the restaurant was our only stop, which was fine with us. When we got back to the office my son and his wife had already returned to the ship and I later learned that they were a bit more injured than we were led to believe, although they were fortunate because it could have been worse. BEWARE OF THE DRIVEWAY! My adult son and his wife had never ridden an ATV and were on a double bike. It somehow flipped going up the steep drive and they were thrown off. Nobody seems to know exactly why this happened. Upon returning home I contacted Unique ATV and was issued a prompt refund for their portion of the trip, but the person I spoke with on the phone was completely uninterested in my suggestion that it might be a good idea to bring the bikes to the street so riders could have a chance to get familiar with the controls on flat ground. I sent a followup e-mail suggesting the same and the only response was "Thank you." IF YOU ARE AN INEXPERIENCED RIDER OR ARE RIDING A DOUBLE BIKE, I RECOMMEND THAT YOU INSIST THEY BRING IT OUT TO THE STREET FOR YOU. I would certainly not want anyone else to have the experience my son and his wife did. Overall, however, those of us who completed the tour had a good time. The guides were friendly and we had a lot of fun despite, or perhaps because of, the inclement weather. We had no problems with our reservation (you can get a 10% discount by booking through their website in advance) and they handled our refund promptly. My only concerns were the long wait after the zip-line. and their apparent disinterest in my suggestion about taking the bike to the street.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We did the mayto beach ATV tour. Overall we really enjoyed it. But there were some down sides. First, ride in Suburban was much longer than expected, but got to see a different part of Mexico. Once on the ATVs , we rode the highway down to the beach which was very enjoyable. Then went to a different beach to have lunch. Lunch was awesome...huge fresh oysters, fresh fish, drinks...perfect. Deme, our guide, was personable and entertaining and his English is perfect. Then we rode to another beach. This is where problems began. One of our four ATVs broke down as the belt was completely shredded and wouldn't work anymore. The guides let us ride while they tried to tow the stalled ATV back to the road. Another ATV had a low tire that wouldn't hold air and mine had a loose tire that wobbled constantly and made it hard to turn. Ride time at second beach was cut short because of having to tow dead ATV back to starting point. On drive back to PV the Suburban died. Had to wait for truck towing ATVs so we could pile in front and back of pickup. Owner/manager didn't offer us any compensation. Guides were wonderful and I would attempt another tour with them, but they need to invest money in maintaining their equipment. Overall we had a blast. Not high maintenance people and understand things happen. Just seems when paying $150 per person, some of the money should ensure the equipment is properly maintained.

5  Thank ericajr
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We rode the quads up into the mountains to a waterfall. The roads were very rutted from the rainy season so it made for fun, careful driving. We stopped at a waterfall where we were told we could swim. The last stop was at a farm where were served hand-made corn tortillas, salsa and home-made cheese. The views were amazing, the mountains were covered in corn. I would recommend this tour to everyone and I would definitely take this tour again.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

This is a very cool and "unique" way to see the area. The dune buggies were awesome, a mechanic goes with to fix things as needed which was fine. The only problem was we signed up for the tour to El Eden and then to beach for food and drink. Came to find out the beach area had been closed to this kind of traffic and we went to what seemed to be a high-end tourist "trap" that didnt go well with dirty dune buggy ride and certainly wasnt beach dining and drinking. Felt abit cheated for what I considered max amount of money I would of spent. Also felt guilted to buy photos taken by another party and not affiliated with Unique but rode in their buggy???? Another way to get a few more dollars, didnt like it.

Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

The 3 hour tour is kind of a joke. I think we rode the 4 wheelers a maximum of 40 minutes. They take you to their restaurant/waterfall for too long. I got swarmed with mosquito bites at the stop and spent the next couple days on benadryl and mexican allergy pills. The tour is probably good for people who have never been on a four wheeler or who want to take it easy and look at the scenery and who are not allergic to mosquitos. The dirt roads you go on are the same roads cars go on. Wasn't real thrilling in my opinion but I don't think it was intended to be. We paid around 600 pesos pp from a tequila shop on the boardwalk. You can haggle the price on everything. If you don't get the price you want walk away and they most likely will chase you down.

1  Thank pange411
ghcosmo, Owner at Unique ATV Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Our 3 1/2 hour Jungle Trek Tour makes 2 stops, and those stops vary in time based on the clients, and the quantity of people on the tour. However, the stops average 1 1/2 hours total so the riding time on the atv's is approx 2 hours, not 40 minutes. In fact, we marketed the exact same tour last year, without any stops, and called it the "EXPRESS" tour, and it was a 2 hour tour (which included the orientation time of approx 10 minutes).

We're sorry about your allergy to mosquitos, but riding into the jungle for a person with allergies to mosquitos is probably not a good idea. However, in 5 years of operation we have never had a complaint about mosquitos on this tour, so it is not an issue with 99.99% of our clients