“Great ride”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great ride”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Beautiful trail ride. Our guide was wonderful. The stop overlooking the ocean and beautiful PV was a bonus.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank steph1298

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“AMAZING!!!!”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We recently went to Puerto Vallarta for a 6 day vacation. We were looking for fun activities to do and came across Ranco El Charro. Being the careful person that I am, I read both the negative and the positive reviews before making my decision, and at first I was hesitant to book the trip because of the reviews that talked about how steep the mountain was, how the horses could easily lose their footing and how "scary" or crazy the horses were. I AM SO GLAD I DECIDED TO IGNORE THE NEGATIVE REVIEWS AND BOOK THE TOUR! We ended up doing the 3hr, which was just enough horseback riding for us and so worth the price. Pamela was so kind and picked us up from the meeting place as promised, pointing out some of the native flowers and plants on our short drive to the ranch. It was my boyfriend's first time riding a horse (he had Patricia) and he had such a blast. Our guide, Tomas, was amazing! He was very accommodating to the extremely slow pace we wanted to go at, spoke and understood enough English and was such a good guide! He picked some yummy plant off of a tree to show us at one point, showed us this really cool tree which had sap that turned into gum and even made my boyfriend a pseudo riding crop when his horse kept stopping to eat. Tomas was very willing to stop and help us take photographs throughout the trip as well. The scenery was just breathtakingly gorgeous. While the mountains and the trail were definitely steep, we did not at any point feel like we were in danger. The horses walk the trail daily and are more or less used to it. Think of it as a roller coaster ride, obviously the thrill of it is there, but it is definitely 100% safe. The restaurant, although empty, served delicious food. Do not believe the negative reviews, obviously it's not going to be a 5-star restaurant if its up in the mountains. We really enjoyed the garlic shrimp in particular, and also spending time chatting with Tomas, who told us a bit about his family and his life in Playa Grande. The horses were obviously well fed and well-taken care of. Rancho El Charro has 15 horses that they take turns taking out only twice a day, so they have plenty of time to rest. They pair you with horses based on experience and I suppose, weight. I had a white horse named Confetti who was around 10 and accommodated me wonderfully.

All in all, I would definitely 100% recommend Rancho El Charro to anyone looking to vacation in Puerto Vallarta. The only downside to this trip was that the pickup/ drop off area Los Mangos Library, was sort of in the middle of nowhere and we had to walk a little bit to find a cab. Also, that our backsides were a little sore the next few days. However, we left the trip with beautiful pictures and even more precious memories.

Thank you so much, Pam, Tomas, Confetti & Patricia!

Visited March 2014
4 Thank Gabriela H
Rexburg, Idaho
“Gallop to greatness”
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Absolutely worth the money!! They took great care of us. We came in on a carnival cruise ship, we were picked up from the marina, right outside the ship. We were taken for a quick ride into a small village area called playa grande. Where the ranch was located. We were paired up with a small group, then paired with our horses according to ability. They have horses for all levels. Very calm horses as well as a few more than willing to gallop away. Which we were very excited about. Our guide Thomas was great! He let us walk, trot, and gallop. We went up a mountain to a look out over the city then along and across a river to a beautiful little restaurant in the jungle where we had some really good tacos. Then rode back to the ranch. We communicated with Pam who speaks great English. Then were met by a few others who also spoke great English. Go for it if you're adventurous!

Brampton
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Ride at your own risk!!!!”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Hello, If you like to gallop down an incline and have your horse try to buck you off or have a guide with a "loco" horse that charges your horse and scares it into a bucking motion....go for it. As for myself, I do not want to have to go through the trauma of a broken leg or cracked skull on vacation in a foreign country so others can profit: no matter how nice they are.
The views and scenery were interesting. The horses were sweating rivers. We crossed rivers and scaled and descended a small mountain.
Perhaps when I said to the Spanish speaking guide, "I am not an expert, but I have ridden before." it was translated as " I am an expert, give me a bronco!" My fault I guess.
Cheers!

2 Thank susiesunsand
Branford, Connecticut, Usa
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Fun Experience”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We spent 3 great hours riding horses through the jungle and crossing the river. Beautiful scenery and a lazy pace. After a walk to the waterfall, we were guided to a lovely restaurant in the middle of our trip. Our lunch was wonderful as we listened to the river gurggling. A great time. The horses were docile and our guides were very attentive to be sure we were careful and safe on our horses.