“Relaxing, Fun and Real” 5 of 5 bubbles

17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Relaxing, Fun and Real”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I discovered Rancho El Charro through an offer for half off a 3 hour ride. Upon arrival I was greeted by Ramón, a friendly caballero who set me up with Luna, a small, strong horse perfect for my 5'3" frame. The owner, Pamela, arrived shortly after with a couple taking a different tour, so Ramón and I set out, just the two of us. It was wonderful! Personal service, delightful conversation about the terrain (it helps if you speak Spanish - I do) and easygoing horses. We headed up a steep, rocky trail for a beautiful vista overlooking Vallarta, a breathtaking view of my current home. A careful trek down landed us on a vast road with huge pink stone cliffs on one side and the river on the other, where we rode for a while. (If you are not an experienced rider, this may seem challenging, but trust the horse and the guide and it will all be fine!)

Ramón and I ended the day with Pamela, another caballero and the other riders at KeleKai's Restaurant & Bar: great service and delicious Méxican food in a relaxed and open dining area. Little dogs and neighbors passed by, waving hellos; Pamela has lived in Vallarta for years and is well-liked in the area. I enjoyed the afternoon immensely. If you are searching for a real horseback ride, not too adventurous or Disney-like, but also not boring, Rancho el Charro is an excellent choice.

By the way, I currently live in Puerto Vallarta and prefer economical bus travel to taxis. At first, it was difficult figuring out the bus to Playa Grande, but Pamela contacted me several times to make sure I felt confident about getting to their ranch. If you choose to go by bus, take the green San Esteban bus from Calle Peru (behind Ley in Centro); the ride is about 30 minutes. Go all the way to the end where the buses park, take the foot bridge over the river, turn right and go about 2 blocks. There are taco stands at the end of the line; everyone is friendly and knows the ranch if you need to ask.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank katedana

Whittier, CA
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Giddy up!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

Pam is the greatest. We had such a good time with her and her crew that we had to do it again before returning home. Thank you Ramon (our guide).

Visited June 2013
Los Angeles, California, United States
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Ride!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

The entire experience was great! I haven't been on a horse in over 20 years and Pam chose 'Luna' for me. Luna was sweet and gentle. Our wonderful guide, Ramon, took us on a scenic 3 hour ride that ended with a delicious lunch at the Kelikai restaurant. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves:-) Don't believe any negative reviews on Rancho El Charro!

Visited June 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Family goes horseback riding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

My family went on a 3 hour horseback riding tour. Pamela met us at the cruise ship as planned and brought us to the ranch. We mounted our horses and off we went with Tomas, our guide. They did a great job at matching my 2 boys, ages 8 and 7, with appropriate horses. We walked along the river and around a rock quarry. It was a great first time for the kids, I just wish we could have continued on into the forest a bit more, or to the waterfall.

We stopped on the way back for the included lunch and relaxed a little before being taken badk to town to catch the cruise ship. It was a fun day and the boys loved it.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Chris L
Bucerias, Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Rancho El Charro- Great Horses”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I first met Pamela about ten years ago. She supplied the horses for a T.V. series "CONAN" the Adventurer where I worked as a double for the actor playing Conan. It became apparent immeadiately that her and her staff had a wealth of skills as "Wranglers" and they had very high quality horses. It was also very evident that Pamela was passionate about her work and horses in a very demanding action filled environment. I soon learned who she was and about her vast experience in her profession including the film industry. A short time later as it turns out I moved very near her Rancho El Charro and began sending friends and clients to the Ranch. It became clear why horse lovers really like their operation. The ranch is in a beautiful location just east of Vallarta in Playa Grande located on a river about 15 miles east of Vallarta.

Visited June 2012