“Another wonderful trip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 127 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Kelowna, Canada
“Another wonderful trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

This was our second 2 week vacation to the GB during the first 2 weeks of March. As before I should mention we are club members and we liked our last stay so much we upgraded our membership this time & have already booked the first 2 weeks in December 2014. This place is just incredible it has everything one could want, the beach, the jungle, the rooms, the privacy, the location, the views, the restaurants and most importantly the great staff. The GB has the best staff in PV from the doormen Omar, Salvador, Margarito, Kevin to the wait staff especially in Aquazul, Osvaldo & Jimmy, and the cleaning staff. We were particularly impressed with Federico, asst GM, he was everywhere doing everything for everyone! We would especially like to thank Gabriella who resolved a phone bill issue in a most professional manner.

We are hoping that tower 6 and the new restaurant will be completed by December but if it isn't the GB still offers the best vacation in PV. We love this place and we especially love the staff because they are friendly & helpful yet retain a professionalism that one would expect.

We are already counting the days until our next visit! When the doormen greet you with a "Welcome Home" they mean it!

Room Tip: We prefer the beach towers as my wife doesn't like heights. A room on a higher floor gives a mor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (678)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Just got back with my wife, 17 year old daughter stayed at Garza Blanca Preserve for one week. The weather was great! There was something for everyone on the menus. The food was good.

The staff was great. Especially the ACTIVITIES DIRECTOR, ISAAC. He is also known as the "Actividudes". He was so friendly and helpful. During the 2 hour (total) open ocean kayak trip to snorkel, he made everyone feel safe and comfortable. I hope he is there next year during our return trip. He seemed to work every day!

Rooms were clean. Any issues were resolved quickly. I would return again. We avoided construction noise by staying in tower 3 (towers 1 & 2 also) down by the beach.

Room Tip: Towers 1, 2 & 3 down by the beach to avoid noise up the mountain from the new towers being built...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank EdPam5
Naperville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

We consider ourselves seasoned travelers. My spouse has flown 60K thus far for 2014. We have come to Puerto Vallarta for over 25 years and have used the same resort each year where we usually have a penthouse or a 3 bedroom suite. Due to the decline in the level of service each year at the resort and change in the clientele we decided to try an all inclusive for the first time and chose Garza Blanca based on its affiliation with Costco and the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. We paid $6,800 for 8 nights for a 3 bedroom suite on the Ocean Front in tower 1. This included the all inclusive for 4 adults and 1 child and did not include air fare. A $200.00 credit for spa, food or drinks was included along with dinner in our suite by a chef for one evening. Anyone over the age of 12 is considered an adult. We traveled as a family (2 parents & 3 children).

Time Share or residence Club - Upon arriving you will be greeted with Champagne & they suggest you sit down in a couched area to confirm your reservation and check in. At this time you will be introduced to someone that calls themselves a "concierge." This is their opportunity to try and push a time share presentation on you and schedule a presentation for a "free" bottle of Garza Blanca Reposado tequilla. You are on vacation, DO NOT waste your time on a presentation for anything that is offered to you. It will not be an hour and a 1/2 as promised. You are not being "rude" by saying NO. Do not entertain them with questions, as it shows that you actually may be interested... I suggest NOT sitting down and go directly to the right where 2 desks are located for check in. Be polite but firm when you reject their requests to schedule a time share. Victoria is one of the Managers at the front desk and very helpful if anything arises.

Room/Towers - The hotel is definitely newer and very well appointed with high-end finishes. Granite counter tops, travertine tiles, decent appliances etc. I am not sure how they figure out the square footage but I definitely don't feel the 3 bedroom suite on the Ocean front is 3,000 square ft. Our home is 5,000 so I have a reference point. There are 3 towers on the Ocean front (1,2,3) and 3 towers in the mountain (4,5,6). One tower is under construction and work is performed Monday thru friday from 7:30am till about 5:00-6:00pm. To get to the towers in the mountain, a golf cart ride of 3 minutes is required and a walk across a bridge and then an elevator ride to your floor. We choose the oceanfront tower b/c I was concerned with the noise from the construction and the proximity from the pool/ocean/waves. The noise is actually not horrible after evaluating the 3 bedroom suite that is a "showroom" in the mountains and used by the sales staff during a timeshare presentation. You can see it without going to a timeshare. The 3 bedroom suites in the mountains are definitely larger (approximately 3500 sq. ft. or more) and have an amazing panoramic view and terrace. For a family, I would also recommend a mountain tower b/c there are not "lock off" areas. In all the towers on the oceanfront for the 3 bedroom suites, you (parents) are separated from your family. When you enter the suite through a wrought iron door (that can be opened and the dead bolt unlocked by putting your hand through the holes) suite A there will be 2 bedroom (1 with a king size bed & the 2nd with 2 queen beds), a full kitchen, eating area, counter stools, round table for 6 and a livingroom. Suite B is across your private hall (wrought iron door referred to above) and is a large room with a king bed and a jacuzzi on the balcony. Each room has a terrace but they do not connect. When I want to see the children in the morning or just go in the kitchen for coffee, I have to wake up the kids b/c their suite is locked with a deadbolt, so the key card won't work. The room would be perfect if your entire family was in suite A and you were traveling with 2 other guests that needed some privacy for suite B.

Tipping / Service levels
We normally tip 20 - 25% in the states. In Mexico, we normally tip 15% - 20%. The cost that I paid through Costco also included 16% in gratuity for the staff. So we tipped about 10% just b/c I've been a server and have a hard time not tipping. Does the staff in the restaurants for dinner deserve it, NO. The 2 fine dining restaurants for dinner are understaffed and the service is very poor. The food is very good but they still have work to do... The service in Blue restaurant for breakfast is very unreliable. The first few days, it was very good and the last two were very poor. The service for breakfast in the Steak house restaurant was excellent, yet poor for dinner. The service at the pool and the poolside restaurant has been the most consistent and the food has been excellent along with specialty drinks. Is it quick service, NO, but again they are understaffed at peak hours. Yet, everyone consistently at the pool has been friendly, helpful and will do whatever it takes to make you happy. Juan, Alvero, Maryrose, Tito, Gerimo (translates to William in english) have all been excellent everyday... The service and food at the pool is consistent.

Quality of food
Overall it is good, but our expectations are somewhat high and were kind of foodies... For the "all inclusive" its definitely a good value overall. We are averaging about 600.00 to $700.00 a day for food/drink costs that are included. I could not justify spending this and not having the all inclusive. This is for 2 adults and 3 junior high age children. I realize we are paying for it ultimately ($6,800) but my expectations would be higher if I was taking out my credit card each time and honestly I would be venturing out of Garza Blanca for food if it was not included.

Quality of Staff
As a whole excellent!!! The staff has exceeded my expectations and it is the only consistency at the resort. From the staff at the front desk (Mayette, Joaquin, Clara, Victoria) to anyone that you walk past (landscapers, pool maintenance, pool staff, ocean staff for kayaks & surf boards, yoga instructors, golf cart drivers etc. etc. This is the "best" part of Garza Blanca by far. The only negative experience we had was from a server Fermin in the Blue restaurant for dinner. Outright rude and condescending. We requested a new server (which we have never done before anywhere) and the Manager took over, apologized and provided great service.

Yoga at Garza Blanca
The instructor (Prokera) was very calming and experienced. If you are not interested in some true exercising, I would not suggest going. Yoga is offered on the beach (meet in lobby at 9:00am) and also up in the mountain. If you are going to the mountain, bring sun screen and water and be ready to walk up a very steep, rocky terrain. The spot is beautiful and overlooks the mountain area but its in the direct sun light the entire time....

You are in Mexico and you are the Gringo
Don't forget this ever... Our family has been coming for 25 years and I've come since I was a child (40 years). We have loved Mexico (Puerto Vallarta specifically) so much that we sponsored someone to live in our home for 3 months and sent her to school to learn English (yes, we paid for everything, airfare, food) and she stayed in our home. No, she was not there as a nanny and the only time she cleaned, is along side us... I would not suggest the above........

In regards to why we no longer go to the resort we used for 25 years:
Over the past few years our family has not felt as welcomed as Americans. The clientele changed over the years to more adult children of wealthy Mexicans that were quite arrogant, entitled and rude. In addition, the General Manager was dishonest and rude to Americans (sorry Los Tules)... You will not feel this in any way at Garza Blanca.

Timeshares/Trust but always verify
Confirm your exchange rate, count your change, get a price before you get in a taxi, negotiate taxi's, and anything and everything downtown (not restaurants). Say NO and be firm to anyone that wants to have you attend a timeshare presentation. You will be stalked downtown for timeshare but not much. They will offer you up to $100.00 US dollars to attend for each adult. Say NO. The tequila shops are usually also hooked up with the timeshare companies. Sample their tequila, drink a little too much and before you know it, you have signed up for a time share presentation.

Safety
In all the years we have come here, we have never had our safety compromised. We have brought our children when they were a few months old and only missed coming one year (the year of the hurricane.) The Mexican people are very honest as a whole and will not compromise your safety in any way... Yes, we have been short changed for exchange rates and also given back the wrong change downtown but have always felt safe and this has never been compromised.

Downtown
Do not miss going downtown in the evening, especially on the weekend (Friday or Saturday). The entire Malacon is filled with vendors, artists, mimes etc. It is safe and it is beautiful. There are also usually artists on the beach that have made beautiful sculptures out of sand (many religious) and also the old art of balancing large stones on top of each other. This is where you will get a taste of Vallarta. Don't forget to give a tip in the boxes provided for the artists that make the sand sculptures and balance rocks.

Singers at the table in downtown Vallarta
If singers approach your table and offer to sing a song, confirm the price or kindly say "no thank you." We have been taken on this one sooooo many times. A 1 minute song can cost you $10.00 and they are not leaving till they get the $.

Clearly, I could write more but am going to have glass of champagne... Its 5:00pm somewhere.

Room Tip: Read the prior comments. Also for towers 1,2,3 I would suggest floor 4 and above. For the towers i...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
11 Thank Seko653
LA, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Right off the bat you'll be checking in and then the timeshare meeting schedule comes up, here's how you avoid it…..You say you have a few plans for the first few days(city trip/shopping/botanical gardens etc etc etc) and that you'll schedule when you have some free time. The free time(of course) never materialized and its time to head home. There, done and dusted. :-) You may get a call for an appointment but either don't pick up the phone(as we did) or if in person you are off on some more trips(Boca and the like, you kinda want to avoid Yelapa though).

The rooms are great! We were on the tenth floor so we saw both sea and jungle, we took a golf cart up to the building and it wasn't an inconvenience but if you are a pool person try and book one of the rooms nearer the original hotel. They are in the process of building one more hotel (Garza Blanca 6 or 7/whatever and have plans for another three more so expect construction noise for the next three years or so). Construction noise wasn't an issue for us even though we were level with it even on the 10th floor. It starts around 8am and quits about 4ish.

Being in the hotel further up the hill we could walk to the Bocados STK, service is spotty but not to the point of causing any major ruffles. Food is good overall though the chocolate cake with sweet potato ice cream is kinda weird…the ice cream is almost always half melted and tastes like glue and the 'cake' is a block of ganache with no actual cake. I'm a lover of chocolate so that stuff is more of a n annoyance to me than most folks I'd say. Steaks were good, we were on the 'all inclusive' plan and there are one or two dishes that require a premium to order but they never looked any better than the other items so it was no big deal to do without. The one time I did feel a little lacking was in the beer, they offer all the usual Modelo/Pacifico/Corona but you rarely see any craft beers, well they have three but each will be about $9US a glass even on the all inclusive plan.

Breakfast at the Bocados STK is an opportunity to hear the sales people pitch the timeshare offers without actually having to really listen or answer questions, try and get a table to the outside right if you want to avoid that chatter.

By far and away the BEST food and service is to be had at the downstairs pool Aquazul, fast service even though they constantly seem to be juggling a dozen tables per waiter. Cold beer/great food/good service…not a single complaint from any of us.

From what I understand BlancaBlue restaurant doesn't have their own kitchen(may be wrong but thats what I was told) and all the food is prepared at the poolside restaurant so cut out the middleman and just eat there. One thing I noticed was that other than one single occasion the ice cream/sorbet was always half melted like it had sat out for a good ten mins before being served. A straw should be used instead of a spoon ;-)

Location location location! It can't be beat. Just outside PV but a very short bus ride into town(8 pesos) and you are in the middle of PV which kinda reminded me of a Mexican West Hollywood with all the little shops. There are jungle tours which I really wanted to go on but never did find the time..maybe next time.

All in all a good hotel with some very hard-working staff, we liked it a lot….I still miss that view at sunset over the ocean with a cold drink in the hammock……..

1 Thank andrew g
Santa Monica, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

I was in the hotel as a paying guest for 4 days in March.

Let's start with the service. As others in this hotel's forum have mentioned, the service was painfully slow. At the pool I asked for a menu, and while the employees were off looking for it, my friend grabbed it. We ordered and it took about an hour for food to arrive.

There is also a time-share element in this hotel that is very deceptive. When you check in to the hotel, the person checking you in (always an attractive hostess in a short dress) greets you with cocktails and walks you through the hotel activities for guests. I thought - how nice! Then after walking through the hotel activities she started hard-selling us on a time share. It figured that they were trying to liquor me up at the hotel check-in so I might be persuaded to sign up for a presentation!! I noticed a number of attractive female employees checking in hotel guests and forcing them to sit through the time share while walking them through the hotel activities and of course providing helpful recommendations.

I will say our room was very beautiful -great balcony, great ocean views. However, every time we wanted to order food or participate in activities we (and all other guests) were asked to submit a card showing we had attended the time share presentation in order to get the "special" prices on hotel food/services. The "regular" prices were quite inflated, and if we wanted to pay "regular prices" we needed to attend the 2.5 hour presentation.

You can enjoy the hotel, but understand that as a regular, paying guest you will feel somewhat over-charged for everything and discriminated against - unless you attend their presentation. When we tried to buy our friend a lunch (aldo a paying hotel guest), a harsh woman at the pool said she had to show her discount and mentioned "it's politics here." I don't enjoy stern employees when I'm on vacation...

Overall, I will never go to this hotel again. The service was slow, the employees were rude, and the invasion of the time-share element into my vacation seemed deceitful. The view was nice, but it's generally nice at any hotel in PV.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank jillyville
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

This place was incredible from the moment you stepped into the exquisite lobby! We were greeted by Teresa, who did an amazing job of explaining everything about the resort to us. The views just walking out to the pool and beach areas were so inviting. We stayed in a Deluxe Room with a king bed (although I slept BOTH nights on the porch in the hammock)! The ocean breeze and the crashing waves put me to sleep in no time. I LOVED it! The resort is secluded and private and great for a relaxing getaway. It has a great Spa that I hope to take advantage of on our next trip down there. There is free wi-fi in all over the resort as well, which made doing business easy. The resort has a wonderful gourmet restaurant right on the property, Blanca Blue, where we enjoyed a great dinner at sunset. The service here was excellent and the pool waiters helped make our time here a memorable one. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Portage, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I book this vacation on the internet. I know those photos can make any place look nice so I was a little concern not knowing anyone who had been to this resort. I looked at there web site and check Trip advsor and took the chance. I was not disappointed . Our room had a great view of the ocean just as advertised. We were there over spring break so I was a little concerned about students etc. Howeve this place was mostly couples and some familys. We did the all inclusive 5 days and 4 nights. My one negitive is that if we had stayed any longer the food would have been boring. They only have two places that serve dinner, two places that serve lunch. One place that serves breakfest. However you can get romm service from 7am - 11pm. The breakfest was there best meal as there were many choices. Dinner was a chalenge after the first two nights as the Menus at each of the two very nice Dinner places ( outside with view and sound of the ocean) are very limrted. Every one there was very helpful. I know some people complane on Trip advisor about the Time share pitch. When we checked in they offered to give us a tour with some perks etc. (The Pitch). We just said no thank you and that was the end of it.

2 Thank readme58