Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just got back from our stay at the Garza Blanca. We got a great last minute "getaway" deal from Expedia, and paid a bit extra to upgrade to a "Honeymoon Suite" upon arrival. We were there mid-week, during off season, and it was a bit rainy, so we had the place almost to ourselves the entire week, although more folks started showing up Thursday and Friday. We stayed in the lower section by the ocean, rather than in the new tower across the road.

We had a wonderful time and I would highly recommend the Garza Blanca, particularly for couples. Go for the Honeymoon Suite - you can't say enough for a room that has a private hot-tub on the open air balcony! The room had plenty of space and a beautiful wraparound balcony opening right onto the ocean. We left the window doors open and were serenaded by crashing waves all night. Truly magical. The staff were also exceptionally friendly and helpful. Three of them we got to know by name, and went out of their way to help us, whenever they could.

We went for the all inclusive package, which was definitely the right call - a la carte prices would have been a bit over the top.

Pros
- Beautiful room and beautiful property
- Attentive staff (though we were there when it wasn't very busy)
- The steak restaurant up the hill (four star restaurant, included in the all inclusive!)
- Room service
- 10 minute taxi ride from town

Cons (pretty minor, overall)
- The food and drinks were a bit hit or miss - nothing was truly bad, some really great (Steak restaurant, The Teriyaki Fish Burger, the midori coladas) but some was a bit average (civiches)
- Internet was flaky, and didn't come free with the all inclusive
- There were little tiny mosquitos with a big bit - didn't figure this out till day 3. Bring bug spray!
- Didn't seem like a ton to do for kids... more of an adult resort

All in all, the Garza Blanca was very classy and done right, with wonderful staff and some great food.

Room Tip: Honeymoon Suite by the Ocean on the far side away from the pool is great for romance and privacy. T...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_Administration, PIERRE BONIN GM at Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

For myself and on behalf of the team I represent at Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa, I would like to thank your gentle preference to select us as your destination and hotel for vacationing with your wife.

Garza Blanca is proud to be one of the preferred hotels for couples to celebrate honeymoon, weddings and anniversaries. Our only goal is to provide unforgettable experiences and accompany special moments, and this is possible because we have a great team at your disposal and pleasure to serve you at every turn.

2013 to Garza Blanca has been a great year, receiving much acclaim as it is, being in the top 100 best hotels in the world by Expedia Insiders Select, based on more than 500,000 comments and 650 hotels, is today the number 36 of the list. Also enlisted within the first 10 Coolest Suites in the world! By The Elite Traveler magazine Suites 101 best in the world, no doubt a great year so far.
We are pleased to also announce to the upcoming opening of our 6t tower "The Soul" a tower that promises the best in high-tech, trendy design and two new concept restaurants, not to be missed.

Thank you again in advance for your valuable comment and hoping you visit us again and enjoy our outdoor activities such as hiking, bird tour, kayaking, snorkeling to Arco, our Coco Festival, Feria del Mole, among others, each of them thought for you to enjoy with your wife and/or family.

It is our pleasure to have you in this your home

PIERRE BONIN GENERAL MANAGER GARZA BLANCA

Write a ReviewReviews (1,944)

Reviewed September 28, 2013

I just want to start by saying that over the past two months I have spent two weeks at this resort on different occasions. The resort itself is one of the finest that I've been to with all the amenities that one would need through out the vacation. The moment you walk into the lobby you realize that Garza Blanca is not you average resort. Breathtaking views and a great white sand beach. The service is impeccable and that being said there are a few of the staff that I have to mention by name since they made our stay so wonderful and memorable. Thanks to Jaime,Alvaro,Ezequil,Gonzalo and Jose at the pool side and beach cafe for your excellent service and attending to any and all of our needs. Thank you Nina, Enrique and Eduardo that worked so hard in the kitchen preparing anything that we asked for. And finally I want to thank Fidel and Omar and Victor for taking such care of us while we were there.
Can't wait to go back in February.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are junior suites and are all very roomy and luxurious with patios and hammocks.

Dear Guest,

For myself and on behalf of the team I represent in Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa, I would like to thank you for selecting us to be part of such a special event. We are proud to learn your opinion, and that motivates us to keep innovating and doing our best work to exceed the expectations of each of our guests and provide you with unforgettable experiences.

I appreciate the recognition to our employees Jaime Alvaro, Ezekiel, Gonzalo, Jose, Nina, Henry, Edward, Omar, Victor and Mr. Fidel, I'll make sure to let them know your kind words.

Ww'll be gladly looking forward to host you again next February, please feel free to contact me for any information regarding your reservation.

It is a pleasure to serve you and have you in this home. Have a very good day.

PIERRE BONIN GENERAL MANAGER HOTEL GARZA BLANCA

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The service here is outstanding. You can feel that the staff take pride in what they are a part of. I went with someone in the restaurant industry and he agreed. The restaurants are excellent. The weekend brunch at Blanca Blue Restaurant is 5 star. They have a free guided hiking trip right near the hotel that we did that was great. There are two versions of that hike--one is *not for beginners. Also-- and bring bug spray for that hike, sandflies in Mexico *will get you in general if you are *not sprayed between the hours of 6:30am-10:30 am, and from 6pm-9:00 pm. I promise those bites are a bit meaner than mosquito bites. Also awesome is the catch of the day that they do once a week, a boat comes in around noon with the morning's catch. The chef cooks it for you in a regional style. Their infinity pool is amazing. Can't wait to go back!

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your excellent comment, we´re proud and honored to be able to fulfill our goal of providing only quality service to each of our guests.

What a pleasure to learn that you enjoy our outdoor activities like hiking tour, Garza Blanca has a very special location between the green mountains and one of the best beaches in the Bay which allows us to provide various activities such as tour birds, yoga on the beach, paddle boarding, kayaking, snorkeling at Los Arcos. Catch of the Day one of our favorites as our Executive Chef Fernando Pulido prepares to your taste the fish of your choice, in addition to having the Activities team that will make them fun.
We hope on your next visit you canenjoy our Mole Fair, Festival del Coco, Wine and Tequila tasting, all in order to provide a unique and unforgettable.

I also extend you a cordial invitation to visit our fabulous penthouse and grand penthouse.
The ultimate vacation residence, the Grand Penthouse flawlessly blends cutting edge style with elegant comfort, favoring geometric shapes and clean lines. The fully-equipped kitchen with polished granite worktops is the perfect place to invite our Executive Chef to prepare a meal for you and your guests, with creatively designed furniture and carefully selected artwork acting as your trendy scenery. The unique contemporary chandelier sets the tone for a completely modern experience.
In terms of luxury accommodations, there is no comparison when it comes to sophisticated modern design and serenity. Complete with butler service, you will be forgiven for thinking you have simply died and gone to heaven.

For my self and on behalf of the team I represent in Garza Blanca Preserve Resort & Spa, I would like to thank you for selecting us as your holiday destination, and hope to see you soon.

Best regards,

PIERRE BONIN GENERAL MANAGER HOTEL GARZA BLANCA

Reviewed September 24, 2013

My mom and I stayed here for a week for a mother/daughter getaway. We enjoyed the property which was lushly gorgeous, and the pools were AMAZING.

The staff poolside provided the best service I've ever received. Especially Alvaro, Jaime and Osvaldo. The rest of the staff, including the desk people, housekeeping and concierges, was pretty good but not the best in the world.

For a 5-star hotel, there were several inconsistencies. We switched rooms after the first night because they had put us in a room with one bed (we had obviously booked a room with 2 beds) the first night and said they couldn't move us until morning. In the first room, some of our toiletries were missing (only conditioner, no shampoo), and we did not get slippers but we did have a stocked minibar. In the second room, the toiletries and slippers were there, but the room was missing a bathmat and the minibar was empty.

The food, while fine, really god old after a few days, too. We did not do the all-inclusive package, because we thought we'd go into town to eat. We never did so we ended up taking all our meals at the hotel after all. However, we still spent less (even with drinks) than we would have with the all-inclusive package. Probably because we were being cheap and didn't eat steak and foie gras every night. Lunch was the same menu at all three venues in the hotel: quesadillas or sandwiches or burgers or small salads. Got tiresome. No fish tacos, either! Dinner was pretty good, but the lack of variety still wore on us as time went by.

We ended up spending pretty much all day every day at the pool and eating light, which was fine with me because as I said above, the pools and service at the pools was awesome.

I'd recommend this place, as long as you keep in mind that a 5-star in most of Mexico is like a 4-star in Europe. And if I had to do it again I'd have gone into town for dinner every day.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Hotel_Administration, PIERRE BONIN GM at Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your time in sharing your experience at Garza Blanca, which will surely help all our future guests as well as the resort itself to continue constantly improving.

Garza Blanca's aim is to maintain quality services that exceed all of our guests' expectations. We appreciate your praise of our employees, Jaime Alvaro and Osvaldo and will be sure to pass on your compliments.

We would also like to share with you how proud and honored we are in having received the CONDE NAST JOHANSENS AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE 2013, which we are thrilled about. We are constantly striving for perfection, and it is a challenge that drives us with the support of all our team and collaborators, to offer a highly personalized service and excellence for each and every one of our guests, as well as to continue to innovate and exceed expectations.

In addition, we received great acclaim for being named as one of the 100 Best Hotels in the World by Expedia Insiders Select; based on more than 500,000 comments and 650 hotels, Garza Blanca was pleased to come 36 in the list. We were also included in the top 10 Coolest Suites in the World and 101 Best Suites in the World by The Elite Traveler magazine. Without a doubt, these were great awards.

2013 also saw the opening of two more towers at Garza Blanca and will see the inauguration of a sixth tower, "The Soul," which promises the best in high tech, trendy design and two new concept restaurants. Not to be missed. It would be a pleasure to welcome you again, giving us a second opportunity to exceed your expectations.

We would like to thank you once again for your comments, both I and all the staff look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at Garza Blanca for the second time 9/14 - 9/21. First let me say my husband and I went back a second time, which we never do as we like to travel to new places. I usually stay at 4 or 5 star hotels, so thats gives a little perspective on my preferences.

Pros:
-The hotel facilities are some of the nicest I've ever been to. Rooms are spacious, bathrooms are clean, rust free, spacious. Balconies are huge, not tiny little ones like in hawaii. Pools are CLEAN and well maintained, lots of pool chairs. I've been there in February as well and I've never had to worry about finding a pool chair with the view I wanted.
-The pool and beach concierge staff are excellent. They even have sun block and bug spray in the event that you need it. All are friendly and provide service with a smile. Shout out to Alvaro, who has a great sense of humor as well.
-Bathroom toiletries are high quality.
-Everything is CLEAN. Loved it.
-We booked a junior panoramic suite, but wanted to stay near the beach, so we asked for anything available beachfront. They upgraded us to a one bedroom, which comes with kitchen and washer and dryer with no additional charge. Thanks GB!!

Cons:
-The beach is small. Which is to be expected, as most of PV is like that. But don't go expecting a huge Carribean like beach. I also seem to get bitten by bugs more when I'm on the beach.
-The food has taken a HUGE dive from two years ago. I found out the chef at Blanca Blue has actually been replaced, which explains alot. One of the main reasons we went back was because of the absolutely EXCELLENT food on site. I know PV has lots of great places to eat ( Which we utilized a lot more this trip due to the new chef) but based on my trip two years ago, I was actually looking forward to this one restaurant, plannning on eating there most of the time. Unfortunately, it was no where near the quality. Flavor was off, dishes were off, overall a dissappointment. Especially for the price. We had breakfast included, which allowed us to order a couple of items, and eat the one that we liked. However, some pretty basic misses: Medium poached eggs had runny whites, asparagus as raw three days out of four. Eggs were lukewarm every single morning when they were brought out. The pork loin for dinner actually tasted horrible, like a piece of boiled pork meat. Neither myself nor my husband could eat it. I would plan on going back there again if the old chef was brought back, hands down.

-We went to the timeshare presentation for the 15% off card, which was pretty nice, and just out of curiousity. I was not interested in doing anything this trip, but wanted to know what the options were in the future. OH WOW, do they completely lack sales ability. Our sales person refused to hear me say "I do not make financial desicions of this magnitude this quickly. I need to take the information and think about it before I would even think of signing anything" a THOUSAND times. Which I know is part of her job, but COME ON... also... at the end she became very rude, and I quote " What, for $3000 (downpayment) you can't just think about it here at the table??" I mean, its one thing to be pushy. Its another to piss me off. So we left shortly after. But note: she said RCI timeshare holders cannot come into GB with their membership. UNTRUE! Our suite neighbors actually came with RCI. So they really do straight up lie to you. (Side note: my husband is in sales and was cracking up at me - on the inside, of course - as he was simply observing them run the gamet of every sales technique in the book)....I just expected better from GB, I guess.

Also, the bug bites ( no see um, or sand fleas) are HORRIBLE.... Lots of GB guests had them, and I tried the GB homemade bug spray they have at the pool, no luck. In all fairness, though, I think its a PV problem, not only at GB. Just something to remember.

Room Tip: Tower 2 and 3 are on the beach, with great rooms. 3602A was awesome!
2  Thank LFORGACIU

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Garza Blanca, which will surely help all our future guests as well as the resort itself to continue constantly improving.

2013 has been a great year for Garza Blanca, having received much acclaim. The resort was named amongst the top 100 hotels in the world by Expedia Insiders Select; based on more than 500,000 comments and 650 hotels, Garza Blanca was pleased to come 36 in the list. We were also included within the top 10 Coolest Suites in the world by The Elite Traveler magazine in their 101 Best Suites in the World reward. WIthout doubt, it has been a great year so far. Garza Blanca's goal is to maintain quality services and to take excellent care of our guests' needs and requirements.

Garza Blanca is also pleased to announce the addition of two more towers, which were opened at the end of 2012 - beginning of 2013 and the forthcoming opening of our sixth tower "The Soul", which promises to showcase the best in high-tech, trendy design and two new concept restaurants, not to be missed.

Once again, thank you for your valuable comments and we hope you will offer us a third opportunity, when you can enjoy our outdoor activities such as our birdwatching tour, hiking, kayaking, snorkeling at Los Arcos, to name but a few. And, of course, you shouldn't miss our Coconut Festival or Mole Fair. Every one of our activities are designed with the most important element for us in mind: our guests! All with the aim of offering the most memorable experiences.

Best regards,

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We spent 2 weeks at Garza Blanca to celebrate my 50th birthday. Our 2 bedroom suite was ocean facing and absolutely beautiful. The staff were AMAZING! We did the adventure jungle tour from the resort...highly recommend it. Ginero (Gino) was an outstanding guide and made it really fun and interesting for us and the kids. All the wait staff were wonderful, from the Blanca Blue were we had our breakfast to the many days lounging by the pool. A very special acknowleggement to Gonzalo. He was outstanding. Thank you for always being there and looking after us with care and kindness. To Fidel and all the other staff...wow...thank you.
Make sure you take time to go zip-lining. You can book it right on the resort. One of the best excursions we did as a family. The pirate adventure is so worth the money as well. (See my other reviews for those activities). The resort is stunning...however I would recommend considering the following:
1- stay down by the beach. The trek up the hill is a pain...even though the rooms are a little nicer...the daily trek is painful.
2- the all inclusive option is good...however, the food selection is not extensive...we would have enjoyed more buffet options...especially with kids. Steak every night gets tiring...and I love steak!
3- tip and tip often...better still tip at the start of the day if you plan to hang by the pool .the service you will receive is worth it. We tipped our wait staff anywhere from 100 to 200 peso a day (about 8 to 16 dollars a day). We never waited for refills and they were very kind and attentive...plus they really appreciate your kindness. No need to accept the daily tip option they offer when checking in...just tell them you prefer to do it yourselves. And don't forget the housekeepers. They were wonderful.
4- meat...make sure it is minimum medium well. My wife and daughters got food poisoning from a rare steak...same rules apply anywhere in Mexico.
5- use pesos as your currency...they will exchange at the front desk for you...buy your from your local bank to get the better rate...we will do this next time. They take US $$ everywhere...but pesos works well...go figure eh! Lol
6- when checking out...take the time to double check your bill. We found a few descreptancies that save us $800.00!!! Just double check...goes without saying anywhere you travel. We don't feel it was intentional...it was just a calculating error on the staff's part.
7- from the airport....first time to PV. Walk straight through the airport and don't let anyone pull you aside...that's a time share sell...keep walking say no thank you...and get to the taxi stand outside. Taxi fee to Garza Blanca is about $50.00 usf including tip. We took the resort taxi option going in for $70.00... Then bargained our taxi back for $50.00. Somewhere around there is reasonable.
8- check out the deep sea fishing...a friend we met at the resort did and raved about it. Oh yeah...definitely DO the 'catch of the day'. Wow...great experience. And we'll worth it. We did the mahi mahi and it was incredible.
9- call the resort before you arrive and they will do a Walmart grocery run for you and it will only cost you 10-20 bucks...give then a list and they will stock your suite for when you arrive.

That's it for this review. Enjoy...we will be back to Garza Blanca and PV without a doubt. A beautiful resort and location.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank RMullin63

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Garza Blanca, which will surely help all our future guests. It is also a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our new outdoor activities. Thanks to Garza Blanca's excellent location, we are able to offer safe, fun and dynamic activities such as hiking, led by our team of collaborators. We appreciate your positive comment about our guide Genaro and will gladly pass on your praise to him.

Garza Blanca's goal is always to provide a high quality service and we are honored that Mr. Gonzalo has achieved that. Our ethos is to keep improving and exceeding the expectations of each one of our guests. Also, Garza Blanca offers a personalized butler service led by Mr. Fidel, to whom we will communicate your appreciation. The butler service is provided from 7am to 11pm with the following services at your disposal: Wake up (coffee or tea), news, un/packing service, reservations, shoe shining, help with wifi connection, tour of the suite, special arrangements for food and shopping requirements.

One of our new activities for guests is Catch of the Day once a week; fresh fish to your table prepared just as you like it by our Executive Chef. Garza Blanca offers other cultural and gastronomic activities as well. Once a month we have a Coconut Festival, Mole Fair and tequila tasting, which are all unforgettable experiences.

We thank you once more for having chosen Garza Blanca for your vacation and for your valued commentary.

best regard

Reviewed September 11, 2013

We visited GB one year ago for the first time, and decided to purchase a week in their fractional ownership program. We returned this past week for a 4 night stay in the 2 bedroom lockoff, with another couple. We purchased the all-inclusive meal plan which turned out to be very cost effective. We arrived at 4pm on Thursday, checked in and went into town for dinner (we started the all inclusive plan with breakfast Friday morning). Rene gave us a couple of recommendations and we chose "Cafe de Olla". We are from Houston and know Mexican food - This was a really great little restaurant and the food was really good (Try the Mexican platter). Dinner was about $54 for 4 people including Mexican beers, and they had a musician playing guitar and serenading the guests table side. Friday we toured the new residence development behind the hotel part of the resort, and then chilled all afternoon, enjoying drinks and food by the beach and at the pool. The service was very attentive (Jaime, Rene, Fidel and Alvaro), and we had a very relaxing day. Friday night we ate at Boca, the GB steakhouse restaurant at sunset - amazing view. Saturday we arranged for a private snorkeling tour (went to Los Arcos) and took the horseback ride up the mountain to the waterfall (Can't remember the name) - Recommend the horse ride up - We walked it last year and it was very difficult in pool shoes. The cost per person is $200 Pesos - it is worth it. If you would rather walk it (45 minutes up), wear hiking/tennis shoes that you don't mind getting full of mud/wet. The 27 ft, private boat cost was $270 for 4 hours and we were able to bring beer, sodas, water and sandwiches from the GB on board. The captain was careful, flexible, and friendly, and the fish were plentiful and colorful. He provided all snorkels, masks, fins and life jackets as well. Sunday we ventured out into the rainforest / Sierra Madres mountains on ATV's (the business name is Unique ATV's). Our weather was overcast and we even got some rain (in the rain forest!) during the ATV tour which made the trip very enjoyable (no heat, and no dust). Beautiful sites in the mountains, and lots of fun driving the ATV's. We stopped twice - once at a little cantina overlooking a waterfall and river, and once at a small restaurant where we ate a late lunch and learned about the tequila distillation process. The tequila tasting was included. Our guide took several photos of us while riding that you could purchase after the trip. The cost was $75 per couple and was a good value and lots of fun. Sunday night we had dinner at the Blanca Blue restaurant on property and afterwards while walking back to our room noticed a man with a flashlight on the beach. We looked to see what he was doing and discovered a momma sea turtle making her nest and laying her eggs! For the next hour we watched her as she covered her eggs in the sand, turned and scooted herself back to the water and disappeared into the night. The "turtle monitor" marked the spot, and in the morning placed a fence around the nest to protect the eggs. Last year we experienced a baby turtle hatching and release, which was incredible. This year's experience was one of those wonders of nature that while very common, seemed special and unique. Monday was departure day so after a filling breakfast, we just chilled at the beach and pool for a couple hours, checked out and headed to the airport.

I want to call out a few of the staff who made our vacation special: Patty our concierge, the ubiquitous Alvaro, Cesar the creative mixologist (his chocolate martinis are a must have), Rene, who was on top of everything, and all of the staff who always smiled and spoke to you.

GB has been an excellent travel experience for us. The property is well maintained, the rooms are spacious and well-equipped, the staff are friendly, and the environment is very relaxing. We have no regrets about our fractional purchase and look forward to many years of enjoyment at this property.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends