WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa

Garza Blanca Preserve, Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Chicago, Illinois
“Best Option in Puerto Vallarta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Just recently completed my third visit to Garza Blanca Resort in Puerto Vallarta.

This is what I like about the Hotel:

Well situated on a clean white sand beach
Close enough to town that you don't feel like a prisoner "on compound"
10 minute cab ride from Downtown - which is nice to experience the great PV restaurants!
Generally feels secure
Great pool!
Very comfortable beds in the rooms
Decent lighting in the rooms
Good food at the restaurants and great Margaritas!
Great staff, very friendly and accomodating
Good brands of soaps etc in rooms (L'Occitane)
Very Nice Spa with a great Relaxation area and beverages!
Very clean and well maintained
Beautifully situated in the Bay - can see both Los Arcos and downtown
Was able to see the whales roll by while seated at the pool!
Great sunsets particularly from the restaurants
The all - inclusive package doesn't skimp on the beverage brands and food offerings - no buffets!
You don't have to run to a chaise at the crack of dawn in hopes of securing one
Good and quiet HVAC systems in the rooms
Large - marble bathrooms and nice showers
Good clean available water

My only complaints:

The design of the Resort is a little too Tommy Bahama meets Z Gallery for my taste (I prefer more classic modern design but know this has little appeal for many)
I seem to be very prone to getting mosquito bites at this Resort (never happened any where else in PV) but with spray was able to mitigate that problem fairly easily... I was literally the only one at the Resort that seemed to have this problem...not quite sure why

One funny notable item:

They have a $9000 Toto toilet at the Boka Restaurant - it literally will wash and dry your behind with a hands free toilet seat! Not sure why anyone would need this at a restaurant but was worth a chuckle or two...

Room Tip: There really aren't bad rooms here. I think the tower will be very nice as an option. The Pent...
2 Thank Mark_CHICAGO_IL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (640)
Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Spent a week there the first week of March and absolutely loved it. Very romantic, but not family un-friendly. Our first time to the west coast of Mexico and the mountains make for awesome views. Puerto Vallarta reminded us of a bigger version of Cozumel or Playa del Carmen on Mexico's east coast, and the resort is first class. The place is spotless, high-end, and beautiful. The food at all three spots (Blanca Blue, BocaDos, and poolside) was fantastic. And the sunsets cannot be beat. Tip; we found it was well worth while to listen to the time-share pitch. We had no intent on buying (nor did we), but it's a great way to tour the resort and the perks they gave more than made up for the 90 minutes it took. This included breakfast, 10% off everything purchased at the resort (including meals), and a free taxi ride back to the airport. Plus, I suspect that they upgraded us to a full suite because we agreed to listen to the pitch. The staff was kind and eager to please. A special shout out to Genero, our guide on our mountain hike (which is not for the faint of heart). He runs many of the activites and is a true asset to the resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank troycwerner
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

I traveled here late November with my fiance, his brother and wife. We actually purchased our room via VRBO but the owners were in the process of selling their property back. Ultimately we were honored the price by the previous VRBO owners but dealt directly with the Garza Blanca staff. We had such a WONDERFUL time. The resort is located south of downtown a little out of the way. Initially we weren't going to rent a car but I'm so glad we did. While driving to the resort we did see people at other condo places hopping on the public bus, but we drove all over and really used our car so I suggest renting on if you plan to leave the resort. If you plan to stay there the whole time and relax taxing a taxi to/from would be your best bet. I have stayed in PV one time before and really enjoyed this part. I have never stayed in Nuevo Vallarta or near the Marina and most likely never will. GB is in such a beautiful part south of downtown. It is near the Zoo (FANTASTIC) and Boca de Tomatlan where we hopped a local water taxi to neighboring villages (fantastic, amazing experience).

We only experienced a few hiccups at GB but overall that the best time.
Pros:
-The property is absolutely amazing and beautiful. The pools were refreshing and the views were breathtaking!
-We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo in the 2nd building (not the main building and not the newest ones being built) and it was absolutely amazing. The room was one of the nicest I have ever stayed in and having a kitchen was exactly what we wanted.
-We received exceptional maid service--the staff cleaned our room and even the dishes left in our sink! Then they came back at night for turn down service which really turned out to be a second sweep of the place--it was awesome!
-We spent about half of the time at the resort and the other half driving all around town and exploring beautiful Puerto Vallarta. We always looked forward to coming home and/or lounging at the pool. The only thing I regretted was not eating at the restaurant. Since we had a kitchen we bought groceries and cooked a lot. It looked beautiful, though.
-For the most part everyone was very nice and helpful. There was a young man in particular (can't remember his name) who greeted us every day and would go out of his way to talk to us and give us recommendations throughout our stay.

Cons:
-Valet parking. Although this might be their policy, we rented a car and drove it a lot! Having to valet it every time we came back (even from grocery shopping) was kind of a bummer. We tried parking in the underground garage but got in trouble and were told we had to use valet. Not the biggest deal but I wish it wasn't a requirement.
-Check in. This was the weirdest experience. You always read about hotels/condos trying to sell you time shares, etc but this was a strange experience. I have been coming to mexico since I was 12 and have had my fair share of run ins with these situations. I have always been able to respectfully decline at check in and then quickly move on to settling in the room.
We were greeted with delicious refreshing drinks and sat down in the lobby seats (not at a desk_ to proceed with check in. I actually found this a fun and relaxing way to get in the mood of PV! A member of GB staff initially greeted us but she quickly disappeared as another lady (turned out to be someone selling timeshare/membership info) took over. We made it very clear that we weren't interested in memberships or booking tours through them. Her first question was if we were given info at our car rental place about time share talks. We said no and that we also told them we weren't interested and she didn't believe us! She said that if they gave us a piece of paper for a "free" breakfast and tour that we needed to give it to her because they were liars and we shouldn't go. We again told her we refused that information at the car rental and she became very skeptical and asked a few more times for the piece of paper. Finally she believed us (I guess) and proceeded to talk to us about membership services at GB and perks to buying a condo there. Once we again told her we weren't interested she went on to tell us about the property amenities (restaurants, gym, spa, etc). She then wanted to sell us tours, spa services, and take reservations for dinner. We told her we would decide at a later date and she asked two more times. Finally (again finally) once we convinced her we just wanted to get settled in and would decide out vacation plans in a little bit she told us to enjoy ur stay and left. For over 15 minutes we sat waiting for someone to come show us where our room was or show us where to bring our stuff. Finally I asked someone where our room was located. This person just pointed at the next door building. I asked if someone was going to bring our things and if not, could someone give us more directions on where to go. The man finally got a hold of a staff member (the really nice young man who spoke to us throughout the week) who showed us to our room.

Other than our initial interaction (which left a bad taste in my mouth) this truly was an awesome experience! I had read both good and bad reviews about the time share stuff at GB and I guess we just got a bad experience. Other reviewers had little to no interaction with them.
Our overall experience was great and I would definitely return to this slice of heaven!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PuraVida85
Lakeville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

If you're looking for the mist luxurious resort in Puerto Vallarta, look no further. We spent 6 days at this resort and we treated nothing short of royalty. I've read other reviews of people in regards to the food not being great, I'm not sure where they were eating! We ate at every restaurant several times on the property and never had a bad meal! And the drinks? To die for! The service was impeccable, the rooms all face the ocean, you have your own private beach, not much more I could ask for!

I'm also not sure about some of the reviewers were speaking about in regards to the construction noise. Sure they are building more towers but they are higher up on the mountain and we never heard a peep. It might have been because all you can hear from your room, the restaurant, or the pool are the waves crashing ;)

From the moment we stepped foot on the property we were blown away, every intricate detail in regards to design was taken into consideration. I honestly don't have a poor thing to say about this resort except that we had to leave!

Special thank you to Guillermo, Omar, Rik, and Leonardo for making our stay extra special. I've recommended this resort to several friends and family, although I'd rather keep it my little secret!

Room Tip: Stayed in 3301-A, definitely get a 1 bedroom suite! The hammock was were I spent most mornings watc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kobilyn14
Tustin, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We had such a great experience on our trip!! The entire staff and facilities were outstanding!! Very relaxing and quiet! The food was made to order - very fresh! We will definately be back!! This place is good for couples or families. Everything you need is on site!

Room Tip: We had a 1 bedroom suite. SO much room!!!
2 Thank Jennifer O
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Just spent my third vacation at Garza Blanca and ended up investing in the resort club. It's a perfect location between the ocean and the mountains and the food is great as are the margaritas.

I have to say i had a beet appetizer at Blanca blu that has to rank up there with the best in the world. Very innovative and delicious.

The pool area is never crowded and there are not crazy people globbing onto chaise lounges at 8am in the morning. Oh except for me :-)

It's a nice quick cab ride into town and i really didnt feel like leaving the premises on several nights. I have stayed at the Four Seasons Punta Mita, been all over the world, and Garza Blanca is truly a higher end resort up there with the best.

The resort club properties in the mountain highrises has a beautiful vista over PV, the ocean, the mountains and is breathtaking to see.

2 Thank MSF500
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Met my sister-in-Law for a girls vacation. We felt very comfortable although mostly couples (not just marrieds) and a few young families.
Loved: clean and large room, great ocean view in 3402A, very very nice staff, everyone was nice. If a certain food was not on the menu the staff made it for me! All food was good. $10.00 taxi to town. Here were the problems that can be fixed easily: the music at the pool played the same Bob Marley music all day long two days, the first two days no waiter came to us to ask if we wanted food or drinks at the pool (Thurs. and Frid. but on the weekend they were there) most waiters or others did not have a pen when they asked me to sign something, no q-tips or cotton in bathroom. The hotel is a bit noisy due to the location next to the highway. However the beach is private and clean.

Room Tip: Do not let them put you in the new condo tower across the highway. Upon arrival they insisted on sho...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends