“Meh”

Ranked #88 of 1,046 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Okay...$1 margaritas and beers. That is the bait. It lured us in twice during our 10 day stay in PV. The Malecon view is excellent, and I'm sure that during high season the atmosphere is really fun. In July, when there are only two or three tables occupied at a time, it feels like any other sleepy restaurant. I had two margaritas each time, and I always ended up feeling sick afterwards (for a $1 marg, I should have known they'd be using REALLY cheap tequila).

As my husband and I sat sipping our practically-free drinks, overlooking a sunset on the Malecon, we kept wondering "How do they stay in business?" When the food came, we understood. In fairness, I will say that the Ceviche I had on the first night was decent. But the $10 cheese pizza my husband ordered was dismal, and we were equally disappointed in the pricey taco plate we ordered on the second visit, especially after indulging in so many wonderful and inexpensive street tacos.

Overall, I might recommend this place for drinks and appetizers...if that. I decided I would rather 'splurge' on a couple of $5 margs elsewhere than guzzle these for free. But the view is great, and it might be worth visiting if you are a budget traveler looking for a place to drink beer and watch the sunset.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Cheeky Monkey has the best view of the bay on the Malecone.$1 beer & margaritas makes this a great place to people watch and watch the sunset.

1  Thank George C
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stopped by July 5, hot in the summer as usual in Vallarta. Cheeky Monkey had a chilled towel to cool off with. Been there several times over the years. Dollar beers, cheap food, million dollar view. Seriously, the view is great. Cheeky Monkey is about a block north of Senor Frogs restaurant so it's in the middle of the Malecon. Cheap drinks, low priced, but american bar food. Always will stop by when in Vallarta.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Best place to get a cheap beer, snack and view while on the Malecon!!
Kid friendly and the place is very clean! Many waiters go at night to get
a cold cheap drink!!!

1  Thank banditLaJuntaCo
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Decent bar food with great drink specials. We ate at the sea monkey and they gave us a 2-1 appetizer deal at the cheeky monkey so we decided to test it out. The menu is similar to the sea monkey $1 beers and margaritas and $2-3 mixed drinks. Great prices for a ocean view. The food was decent bar food. The fish tacos are a great deal.