All reviews rooftop terrace super fun free breakfast excellent location place to stay hosts nightlife pv pesos
Selected filters
Reviewed March 30, 2019

Casa Kraken Hostel was absolutely perfect! It's walking distance from all the things you want to do around town (shopping, restaurants, nightlife, town square, etc.), and the bus is a 10 peso ride to some amazing beaches that the hosts will actually take you on a hiking tour of! Gorgeous!

The hostel itself is super funky with colorful art, a super chill vibe, and amazingly clean. I felt safe, welcome, and completely at home here. As an extra bonus, the view from the roof top terrace is astounding (you can see a pirate ship in the bay as it blows fireworks every night!) Liz and Travis made my stay pretty much the best I could imagine - I will definitely be coming back!

Room tip: I'm a lady who stayed for a week with friends - the mixed dorm was quiet, and the others were very respectful of noise and light levels.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2019

As soon as you step into the doorway of the hostel, surrounded by beautiful underwater scenes of octopus and coral reef, you are transported from a busy main street in a Jaliscan port city into a cool, airy, restful home base. The multi-level, open-air spaces invite to you lounge and flip through a guidebook to plan your day. It's got a huge, well-equipped tiled kitchen where you can do some meal prep. The folks manning the reception/bar (bottled beer and lime for just 20 pesos!) are friendly and welcoming. Pro tip: ask the hosts about excursions to secret beaches, jungle hikes, and can't-miss nightlife in PV! This hostel has everything a backpacker could want, and so much more.

Room tip: Female only room available; limited private room availability so book early!
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2019

Just had my first ever Puerto Vallarta visit and I can't say enough about how wonderful it was, especially due to Casa Kraken Hostel! It is a fun, colorful, clean, and safe place to rest, relax, and meet new friends. There are so many good spaces to kick back, and the rooftop view is stunning in every direction! As noisy as it is in the city, I slept like a baby rock each night.

The staff is absolutely WONDERFUL! They take super care of all of the guests, and sometimes even take groups on hikes to places you wouldn't know about otherwise!

You can walk in minutes to the board walk, restaurants, markets, and the bus stop is right outside the door. Getting to and from the airport was a snap too! 10 pesos to ride the buses all over. Only half hour bus ride to other beaches!

There is a little climbing wall, great showers, clean bathrooms, and art all over. I had the honor of adding a small mural of a plesiosaur battling a red kraken. I could say so many other good things, but you should just go see for yourself!

Room tip: There are all men, all women, or mixed rooms. I am a female and I stayed in the mix room with no problems.
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed February 13, 2019 via mobile

I arrived in Puerto Vallarta last minute unexpectedly and began searching for a place to stay. I discovered Casa Kraken hostel and I'm super glad I did. It's location is excellent. One street away from the beach and the famous iconic Malecón boardwalk. Everything is a short walk away, and for whatever isn't there's a bus right in front of the hostel. Casa Kraken has 3 floors with plenty of open air outdoor space including a rooftop terrace with epic views of the city and nearby church. Everything was spotless, super clean. Showers had hot water. Free high quality Wi-Fi, free breakfast, and unlimited water from the kitchens filtration system was more helpful and saved me more money than I thought. The staff was super fun and helpful. They organized group activities and outings. During my stay here I made some amazing lifelong friends. This hostel was so much more than just a place to sleep it was one of the best aspects of my stay in Mexico.

Date of stay: February 2019
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed December 9, 2018 via mobile

This hostel is great!
The location is the best, there are all whatever travellers may need. The double terrace is amazing and the staff is incredible.
I met great people and we went out together.
I really recommend this hostel. Thank you very much :)!

Date of stay: December 2018