“Helpful rental agent--beautiful spot!”
Review of Selva Romantica

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Selva Romantica
Reviewed February 7, 2014

For the past four years we've been renting from Eileen Key at Selva Romantica. (We've been coming to Puerto Vallarta off-and-on for 35 years. It's our favorite town!) Selva is a beautiful spot, located just a few blocks up the hill from Los Muertos beach, very convenient for great restaurants, shopping, walking (or running on) the Malecón. Selva Romantica consists of several low-rise condo buildings, surrounded by lush landscaping and crowned by an infinity pool (large enough to swim laps) and a patio area overlooking the town and Banderas Bay. Eileen has been key in arranging our stays and helping us be so comfortable and well-looked after each year. She's available and accommodating for both the new as well as returning traveler. We highly recommend her and Selva Romantica!

Room Tip: There are no kids activities planned by the resort. There is no room service. I have been there so...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Louella L

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Had an amazing stay at Selva Romantica. The Condo we rented Amazons 7 was fantastic. Great outdoor space. Extremely comfortable and homey with great amenities. The outdoor common space is heaven. Beautiful Infinity Pool with breathtaking view. Complex had issues with The heat pump in the pool but water was never cold and was hard to get out of. Lots of pleasant guests that chat and hang out at the pools edge. Lots of comfy patio chairs for tanning. Only complaint was our last day the maid showed up at 10am saying the next guests were arriving at 1230. Our check out was at Noon so made no sense. Our check in at beginning of trip was 3pm so don't understand this,one at all. Our packing then became rushed, unorganized and uncomfortable being that the maid was cleaning our Condo while we were trying to pack and shower. Thank God for Eileen (one of the rental agents) who smoothed things over by allowing us to store our luggage in her suite even offering us a key so we could relax as our flights didn't leave till later in the day. It seems there are two rental agents and the ones that manage the property should not have made us feel so pressured to leave early... Wasn't cool at all. In fact ruining our last day entirely.

Stayed: January 2014
6  Thank jordan p
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I have stayed at Selva Romantica the last 5 or 6 years and always stay in the Safari units. A number of times I have stayed in Safari 6 which I again did this year for ten days starting in the first week of Jan. My daughter and her boyfriend joined me later in the week and stayed in Safari 10.
I wouldn't stay any other place. I only took a carry on with me as they have a laundry room that is free for the use of guests.

The beach, tons of restaurants and bars are all with in walking distance. I can be on the beach in five minutes or at a number of bars and restaurants in the same time frame. Incidentally the best massage in the whole city is just a three minute walk down the hill owned by Angie called Metamorfosis Day Spa.

I have written many reviews and usually ready the previous reviews of others to see if I'm going to be fair in criticism or praise as I know a lot of businesses can be hurt or helped by how many stars they are given.

There was a previous review which gave this place one star for reasons such as too many stairs, don't cater to children and not close to Walmart so he has to take a ten mile bus ride to get food..
I can't believe the reviewer didn't know there was steps as it is mentioned in almost every review on here including a couple in their 60's that wrote a review who handled the steps well and chalked it up to good exercise. That being said anyone with a handicap should look for a place elsewhere.
Second this place never advertises that it's a children friendly property.
Third, who the heck wants to go to Walmart in Mexico? I cooked out at the condo many times and there are numerous butcher shops, fresh seafood shops and produce shops and the Central market that are all with-in walking distance. The reviewer also gave this place one star for the location. Most people rent here because of the location as can be evidenced by all the reviews that give this place 5 stars for the location. Funny he has only one review.

I have always booked with Eileen Key as did my daughter. There is nothing she wouldn't do for her guests. She has also become a friend. Yes I heard about “Mr. Miserable” from her because she called me up one night almost in tears wanting to talk. She explained she never had a client like Tom Bell and tried everything she could to please him.

I see she responded to his review but I think she is too much of a lady to go into details of some of the things he said on his part as told to me. I see he also has only one review..
Anyone that has been on been on Tripadvsor for any length of time will see one or two bad reviews mixed in with mostly all 4 and 5 star reviews.
I myself will gladly continue to stay at Selva Romantica and also would like to tell the owners of Safari 6 how much I have enjoyed their unit.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank redwhiskeypete
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I should start by saying this property is gorgeous, outside and in. It is also in an amazing centralized area of old town. The pool is great and the views are sweeping. We traveled with a group of friends, and although we all stayed in different rooms, we did gather together in the largest room quite often. Our 2nd night there, we were told to be quiet in the pool area, AT 7PM. Yes you read that right. We then went out to dinner, and came back around 9ish. We were all gathered upstairs on the patio talking, no music, when some crazy resident came up and started screaming at us about keeping them up all night. The following day we received a complaint saying all sorts of things, from us screaming, having the police called, etc. turns out the resident decided to lie about our stay to try and get us kicked out. Suffice to say, the remainder of our trip, we spent as little time there as possible, and will never return. If you are going to PV for a quiet romantic getaway, or an old folks home experience this hotel is for you. If you have a group, I would strongly recommend finding a friendlier place to stay.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Guesswhopdx
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I guess after seven years of renting condos at Selva Romantica, and hundreds of happy vacationers, it's inevitable that I run into someone like "westkits1" aka Tom Bell. This was Tom's third booking with me, so I guess he was happy with my service in the past. A number of his friends book with me also. He knew the property well enough in the course of his previous visits to understand that the north side of the complex is noisier. You hear music from the bars, traffic, roosters. The unit he chose was on the north side. It is a lovely two-room studio with an ocean view. Most people would have been happy there.

Yes, I should have told him that the unit had been sold. But by the time the sale was completed, Selva was 100% booked for the holidays. There were no other units to offer him. I checked on the progress of the remodel, and it was coming along satisfactorily, with new furniture and appliances. I thought he would be pleased. Guess not. The owner had to fly home suddenly due to a family emergency and could not complete a few of the projects, such as art on the walls.

Tom was wrong on a number of complaints. There was a stereo there, but not knowing this I offered him my own stereo and a number of CDs from my own unit. The TV worked, he just needed to be shown how to use it, which the office manager did for him. I sent him several Wi-Fi codes offered by other owners nearby. The owner certainly did care, sending up several household items and fresh flowers. The mattress was brand new, not "cheap". At this point, I was in Portland visiting family for Christmas and could do nothing more for him. If I was confronted by a dirty coffeemaker, I guess I'd wash it. We offered to send the maid again. Another rental agent I work with offered to come into the unit with artwork to decorate it and make him and future renters more comfortable. He refused to meet with her.

Tom Bell was soon referred to as "Mr. Miserable" by other people at Selva. Here he was, in a popular, beautiful resort over the holidays, with a number of friends in nearby units, with all the festivities going on, and all he could do was be unhappy and vindictive. It's really too bad. His friends told me that he was just like that - a personality defect of some sort where any little thing sets him off and he never lets go of it. I hope he gets a handle on his problems. Good luck, Tom.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank eileeninoregon
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Im a return visitor to this wonderful development for three years. Just returned from my christmas vacation there.
Ive rented through Serentavallarta before and have recommended others to this company.
However as of this trip i will not be able to to that any longer. Unknown to myself the condo i had booked back in the summer had changed hands. Upon my arrival i could see that my unit had been modified from the photos that i had picked on their website. I later found out that the new owner was changing it for his personal use and that the unit would not be rented in the future. The unit had been hastily put back together with no regard for a renter, literally the day before i arrived. No WIFI which was listed, TV didnt work, no stereo, no curtains, no pictures on the walls, cheap bedding and pillows, dirty coffemaker,and drainboard, microwave not in its correct location due to no electrical, safe did not work. Plus Iguanas 3 faces a yard below with fighting roosters sounding all day and night, no mention of this from the agent.
I spent my time trying to get the place put together. Was told by the agent Eileen Key that the owner did not care. That was obvious. I paid high season prices for this unit, it was not worth it. This renting agent was not forthcoming about this situation and was ineffective in making the place better.
So beware of this type of situation happening in an otherwise lovely place to stay.

Room Tip: Units facing the cathedral on the low side are subject to noise from roosters.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank westkits1
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I have stayed in several units in Selva Romantica and Linda Vista is by far the best condo and Loltia the owner could not have been more gracious. The spacious outdoor patio area is a dream and the views are amazing. Once you walk in the door you feel as if you are home and you want for nothing from the complete kitchen to the small library of books and magazines. Loltia has thought of everything to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends