“Wouldn't go with anyone else”

Ocean Friendly Whale Watching Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Ocean Friendly Tours was rated by Trip Advisor as one of The Top 10 Wildlife Tours in the World - the only whale watching tour operator in the world to be included on that list and recently rated as the #1 Outdoor Activity in Puerto Vallarta and the #1 Boat & Water Sports Activity in Puerto Vallarta. Ocean Friendly Tours is a new concept in responsible tour operation in Puerto Vallarta with a unique visual and acoustic approach to the marine world of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. At Ocean Friendly Tours we provide a specialized and personalized service that blends professional knowledge of the marine environment and safety with love and care for nature. Ocean Friendly Tours have become a respectful and sophisticated way to approach the marine life and landscapes in Vallarta. Visit our website to learn more about responsible whale watching tours and the research programs conducted through our non-profit foundation called Deep Blue Conservancy. Thanks to all of our customers that make the effort to leave such beautiful reviews of their experiences. Special departure times for cruise ship guests!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Boulder, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wouldn't go with anyone else”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Though I travel a lot, I've never left a TripAdvisor review (sorry!). However, our experience with Ocean Friendly was so fantastic that, here I am. In addition to seeing whales constantly throughout the day, we were continuously educated about the whales by Keith. He is kind and knowledgeable, and he knows what he's doing because he's researched humpbacks for years--he recognizes individual whales and can point out their individual markings. He is passionate about his work. Further, Ocean Friendly educated us on the etiquette of whale-watching, which first and foremost is about not disturbing the whales (such as not having more than three boats in the area at a time). If we go back to Puerto Vallarta we will go out again and wouldn't consider going with anyone else. In fact, Keith offered to give us recommendations of good companies to go with outside of PV as well.

1 Thank Sburgert

Boston, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great trip, even at the end of the season”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We went on a whale watching tour with Oskar on March 22nd, the second to last day of the whale watching season. Even at the end of the season, we saw so many whales that I lost count. Although not as many whales breached near the boat as the stories I have heard from January and February, it was an excellent trip. I took close to 200 photos.

Some notes for photographers, using full-frame 35mm equivalents: I used mostly an 80-300m zoom lens, although also a 120mm macro lens for some shots (my macro is sharper and faster at focusing than my zoom lens). For the birds on Marietta Island, 300mm was just about perfect. Most of my whale photos were taken at 120m to 160mm. Earlier in the season, an even wider lens might be useful, as I've seen photos of whales getting quite close to boats.

Fort Collins, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Best whale watching tour!!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have had the good fortune of going on whale watching tours in Mexico, Hawaii and Alaska. This was BY FAR the best tour that I have been on. Ozkar is so informative and his enthusiasm is infectious!! We had the good fortune of seeing many whales, dolphins, turtles, manta rays and lots of birds.

My husband was a little skeptical about spending the money on this since we had seen some whales the previous day as we were fishing. He ( and the rest of the family) were so glad that we went out with Ocean Friendly. Just a terrific, terrific experience! I could have stayed out all day.

Also, the food that the provide was very tasty!!

Panama City
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“First, and not the last time”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

AMAZING! Seriously, what else can I say. This was my first time experiencing whale watching and it was the most amazing, thrilling and I would even say, spiritual experience. First of all, as countless others have said, Oscar and his amazing crew, are whale whisperers. The information given to us before the tour was astounding. I know that he has been doing this for many years, but his passion for these creatures was very evident. His knowledge of the migration and behaviors of whales was also very amazing. The tour itself had me behaving like a 5 year old on Christmas morning. A part of me thought that we wouldn't see anything. Boy, was I wrong. We saw a couple of humpback mothers and their babies, a family of dolphins (or a couple of families), a huge ray, a turtle and a male humpback. I was astounded. Oscar and his team also pulled out the bug guns by using a hydrophone that allowed us to listen to male humpbacks singing and preparing for migration. It is worth the money, it is worth the time and it might even change how you see the beauty of the ocean and the wonders of the life in it.

Martinsville, Indiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ocean Friendly Whale Watching and Birding Tour”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had a fantastic combination birding and whale watching outing in the Bay of Banderas and including the Marietta Islands. There was a very excellent birder among the staff and we saw brown boobies, blue-footed boobies, and amazing red-billed tropicbirds. We saw many humpback whales and our guide marine biologist Oskar lowered a microphone into the water to enable us to listen to male humpback whales singing. Oskar shared his important research work with us involving the identification, tracking and study of the humpback whale population, and we learned much about humpback whale migration, mating, and maternal care of the calf. I highly recommend this tour!!