“OK food, good drinks” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe de Olla

Cafe de Olla
Ranked #59 of 981 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Seattle, Washington
“OK food, good drinks”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We went to this place on recommendation of a friend of a friend. The food is as Mexican as a paper sombrero. It's really Tex-mex and at that it succeeds... moderately. My wife and I split the seafood soup -- plenty of seafood, unfortunately overcooked to death. My Chiles Rellenos were so smothered in breading that the decent-enough flavor of the actual chiles was completely obscured. My wife's fish dish "didn't taste bad but was very ordinary". It cost $9 or so and has exactly the bland taste that you expect to pay $9 for. The margaritas are indeed strong.
Meh.

• Visited February 2013

Spring City, Tennessee
“The Best Seafood Soup”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I went to Cafe de Olla based on a friend's recommendation. He said it was the best seafood soup. We went for lunch. The place was surprising as how far back the restaurant went. The atmosphere was very light and airy. We were waited on right away. We ordered Corona's and the waiter promptly brought them along with salsa and chips. He also brought a red hot sauce. We tried it and it was exceptionally good. We asked about it and he said they made it there. We asked it we could buy some and he told us we could. For 50 pesco's we got a large bottle. The seafood soup was on the menu but the price was 100 pesco's. We each ordered a bowl because it was recommended. Boy are we glad we did. The soup was served in a large, 8 inches across and 4 inches deep, bowl. On one side was a half of lobster and on the other side was a half of crab. We were given a cracker so we proceeded to pull the meat out of the lobster and crab and add it to the soup. The soup also had shrimp, fish, scallops and octopus in it. At least a pound of seafood. It was excellent! We went for lunch but didn't need super, we were so full. We will return for the soup and more of the homemade red sauce.

• Visited February 2013
Punta Plata, Dominican Republic
“Best Mexican Food in Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We ate there twice and both times our drinks, service and food was priceless. The food comes hot, lots of it and at a very reasonable price. If you like Mexican Food you will love this place.

Visited February 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great local restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I try to go here every time I come to Puerto Vallarta. And it does not disappoint. Have great tasting food every time. Much better than I can get at the resort/hotel and very reasonably priced for the quality of food you get here. Drinks are good as well! Sometimes I get the special, sometimes my regular off the menu. I always leave stuffed wishing I had a place to store and reheat the leftovers!

• Visited January 2013
now
“Authentic mexican in the zona romantica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

We ate here on our first trip to Puerto Vallarta back in the lat '90s and I'm pleased that this charming little spot is still thriving. During lunchtime, you'll see locals eating here. Delicious traditional mexican food. Clean, nice service - just bring pesos because they don't take credit cards.

Visited January 2013