“The Best Seafood Soup”

Ranked #142 of 1,124 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I went to Cafe de Olla based on a friend's recommendation. He said it was the best seafood soup. We went for lunch. The place was surprising as how far back the restaurant went. The atmosphere was very light and airy. We were waited on right away. We ordered Corona's and the waiter promptly brought them along with salsa and chips. He also brought a red hot sauce. We tried it and it was exceptionally good. We asked about it and he said they made it there. We asked it we could buy some and he told us we could. For 50 pesco's we got a large bottle. The seafood soup was on the menu but the price was 100 pesco's. We each ordered a bowl because it was recommended. Boy are we glad we did. The soup was served in a large, 8 inches across and 4 inches deep, bowl. On one side was a half of lobster and on the other side was a half of crab. We were given a cracker so we proceeded to pull the meat out of the lobster and crab and add it to the soup. The soup also had shrimp, fish, scallops and octopus in it. At least a pound of seafood. It was excellent! We went for lunch but didn't need super, we were so full. We will return for the soup and more of the homemade red sauce.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We ate there twice and both times our drinks, service and food was priceless. The food comes hot, lots of it and at a very reasonable price. If you like Mexican Food you will love this place.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I try to go here every time I come to Puerto Vallarta. And it does not disappoint. Have great tasting food every time. Much better than I can get at the resort/hotel and very reasonably priced for the quality of food you get here. Drinks are good as well! Sometimes I get the special, sometimes my regular off the menu. I always leave stuffed wishing I had a place to store and reheat the leftovers!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We ate here on our first trip to Puerto Vallarta back in the lat '90s and I'm pleased that this charming little spot is still thriving. During lunchtime, you'll see locals eating here. Delicious traditional mexican food. Clean, nice service - just bring pesos because they don't take credit cards.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We've walked by this restaurant many times and finally stopped. There is usually a crowd of people waiting to get in but this particular night we got right in. You can even see them cooking as the grill is right on the street! This not a large restaurant and the seating is a bit tight but the food is very good authentic mexican food. The tortilla soup was the best we've ever had. And the mexican coffee, although they didn't do the flames at the table, was to die for!