“Not worth it!”

Crucero Bahia Alegre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bay tour with us and discover the beautiful Marietas Islands, knows his magic and splendor, makes the activities and live a wonderful experience.
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Overall this excursion was pretty terrible. The boat ride itself was fun and hanging out on the beach for 3 hours was the best part. The snorkeling was soooo bad. I saw only a few fish. The water is murky and you can barely see the ocean floor. They only let you out there for about 20-30 mins. We opted out of the horseback riding or other activities that you had to pay for. We hung out on Las Animas beach for a long time. It was stinking hot...some people played beach volleyball while others hung out in the ocean. The lunch was decent...not very filling but it was yummy.
The most horrible part was the ride back....everyone by then was pretty wasted and they started up karaoke and really loud music. Oh also the guide pretty much only spoke Spanish so we never knew what was going on. The music and drunken crowd was very annoying. They say if you want more quiet, to go on the top, but it was way too windy to sit up there. People were absolutely plastered. Not my scene. The hosts weren't that friendly either.
TIP: if you do end up on this excursion BRING A TOWEL!! They don't supply you with them.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

i was scared to go snorkeling and just swam, my daughter let me borrow her mask and i regretted that i didnt take my own. The food at the island was good but the quantity was extremely low. If you go, bring some bread, if you throw the bread in the water, fishes will swim right up to the boat and you will be able to see them. The horse ride was fun but dangerous, the road was narrow and very steep, the horses dont exactly listen and follow directions, the owners dont understand english so you cant talk to them. i nearly fell of the bridge and into the waterfall bacause there is just a cardboard walk way and strings. The water on the island was fantastic and swimable, clear and calm. The way back there was dancing and entertainment . Fun trip

Reviewed July 25, 2012

To start off, we were told we had to be at the Maritime Terminal at 9:00am. After checking in, we were told that we were to be on the boat at 10:00am. After the hour long wait, we were finally on the boat only to wait at least another half hour for the rest of the guests who arrived late.

The boat was completely packed with plastic chairs leaving little to no legroom.

We were told beforehand that the tour was to be given in both Spanish and English. The MC BARELY spoke any English and we had to resort to asking the other guests what was being said. The MC spoke English fairly well but did not seem to bother with informing non-local guests. This was probably the worst aspect of the tour as we were expecting to be informed about the islands we were traveling to.

The bartender was probably the worst one out of the crew. When my father asked for a specific drink, the bartender responded rudely and did not bother to offer another drink similar to the one my father asked for. Another incident was when my girlfriend and I were at the front of the bottom deck along with other guests and the bartender himself came up and asked the guests if they wanted anything to drink. There were not many other people at the front and he completely ignored us. My girlfriend had to go up to the bar herself and still did not get served. Lastly, I wanted to ask for a cup of ice as the water jug had gone warm and I wanted something cold. It was fairly busy at the bar but as the crowd went away, I was still standing by the bar and the bartender continued to serve guests who came up to the bar WAY AFTER I had shown up.

As far as the food goes, snacks were not included on the boat, only drinks. For lunch, they took us to a beach where we ate at a restaurant, but only the food was included. They didn't even include water or juice with our meal. We had to purchase beverages.

Honestly, there were 3 of us total and we all felt as if the crew was a little bit racist just because we didn't speak Spanish. They were engaging with the rest of the local guests just not us. It made us feel quite uncomfortable. This crew was unfriendly and not very service oriented. Although the activities were so much fun......I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY!

1  Thank Jessy L
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This trip was not marketed to us as a "snorkeling cruise", but rather we were told upfront that there would be around 40 min. of snorkeling (we stayed longer than the other boats), that we would go to Quimixto where, if you WANTED, you could get off and either hike or pay to ride (horse/mule) to the waterfall. And that finally, we would go to Las Animas Beach where they would serve lunch and have a kayak for our use (included in the price). The lunch was certainly adequate (my daughter loved the fish). You pay extra for drinks - they are not included (they told us upfront). Some of my party paid extra to para-sail on the beach (they sign you up on the boat). Everything occurred exactly as they stated. Personally, I'd skip the waterfall next time, but my daughter loved riding the mule to it. I would have preferred more beach time. I didn't care to swim in the brown waterfall (though many did and seemed to enjoy it). They give you a choice - some of my party did skip the waterfall and had more beach time. Quimixto is a cultural experience. It's dirty, poor, and you pay 5 pesos to use the "decent bathroom". The horse guide looked 11 years old (though I think there were others along with us too). For me it was very helpful that I speak Spanish. The hardest part for some was getting in and out of the motor boats they use to transport you from the big boat to Quimixto and then to Las Animas. The Bahia Alegre does not go all the way to the shore. I advise water shoes for exiting/entering the motor boat and sneakers for hiking/riding. The crew was great - very attentive. The only person I didn't like was the guy at the beach who served lunch and thought my 20% tip was not adequate (the norm is 10-15%). On the boat - of course they aren't the best drinks...it cost us only 30 USD for this whole trip so I didn't expect world class cuisine or amazing beverages. Yes, they have karaoke and it can be loud - go to the back of the boat or up top if you want a more peaceful ride. I didn't mention the snorkeling - I did not inspect my equipment. In these cases I just pray they are somehow cleaned. They weren't any different than any I've used in Hawaii. It all worked perfectly well. I didn't see as many colourful fish as in Hawaii, but I saw enough that it was fun. They lure fish to the boat with food too. Yes, they photograph you before you get on the boat - that is not uncommon on cruises. They do it at Alcatraz in San Francisco! I paid only 100 pesos (less than $10) for two copies - one for me and one for my friends. They also videotape you the whole time. They will pressure you to buy it. If it's not your thing, just say "no". My friends bought it and actually...I'm glad they did. Of course a lot of it is hokey and includes the other passengers, but they did get our kids para-sailing and captured us having fun on the boat, riding, etc. You have to learn to say "no" before you go to Mexico anyway as someone is ALWAYS trying to sell you something. I enjoyed this and would go again - simply skipping the waterfall since I already did it and would prefer the beach.

1  Thank Julie G
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I only wish I had read the other reviews before taking this trip. This is not a Snorkeling Cruise as the website says. It's loud, obnoxious, watered-down drinks, unsafe, unsanitary, small food portions, and looking for ways to make money. Rude staff, dirty beach, and unsafe equipment make it that much worse. I am actually angry that my husband wasted our time and money on this cruise. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!!!

1  Thank Mary P