“Heavenly artist retreat in Mexico”
Review of Hacienda Mosaico

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hacienda Mosaico
Reston, Virginia
“Heavenly artist retreat in Mexico”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

I just came home from my first workshop at Hacienda Mosaico in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and I cannot wait to tell you how WONDERFUL it is! Where do I begin? Sam, the owner, made it easy to sign up, I got the single room that I requested, and she sent easy-to-follow directions to streamline the arrival process. It was my first trip to Mexico and I was traveling alone - the instructions made a world of difference.

The Hacienda Mosaico property is beautiful. The tropical landscaping is fantastic - lush and well tended, the common areas - sofas, art books, everywhere I looked there were intriguing and beautiful things to look at on the walls, the tables, in every corner. My room was charming, comfortable, spacious, clean, colorful - plenty of towels and hangers, a desk for my computer, hand-painted headboard and chairs, a huge one-of-a-kind mirror, unique textiles on the windows, handy reading lights on both sides of the bed - I would have spent more time in my room but there was so much to do and so much to see! I began every morning with a walk on the beach just a few blocks from the Hacienda. When I returned from my walk Jorge, the gourmet cook, had coffee ready which I enjoyed as I watched him prepare a fantastic meal. Both breakfast and lunch were included with the workshop and I wouldn't miss a meal - they were wonderful - fresh tropical fruit, huevos rancheros one morning, apple fritters the next, my mouth is watering thinking about it!

The workshop I attended taught by Wouterina de Raad was fantastic. Riana provided instruction backed by decades of experience. I learned quite a bit and I am using her process now to create a larger sculpture at home - exactly what I wanted to do. Riana is a great teacher, she is knowledgeable, generous with her time, and fun to be with. Riana didn't limit her instruction to the workshop - she showed me how to take the bus into the center of town to find the best shopping and she introduced me to a wonderful local artist, Brewster Brockmann. I bought a traditional mask from him - awesome - and one of his small ceramic pieces. I never would have found his place on my own. The workshop was scheduled such that we worked hard after breakfast and continued until lunch at 2 PM. If we needed more time we worked after lunch or we enjoyed the beautiful pool in the afternoon or headed out for shopping and or dinner later. The blue tiled pool is surrounded by comfortable lounges, plenty of plush towels, umbrellas, and gorgeous landscaping. We chatted or napped or swam laps - it was heavenly.

I was so happy to make friends with Sam's dogs Stella and Hera. Hera, in particular, slept on my lap and made me feel like family. Speaking of friends, I came to the workshop alone and felt like I left with friends. Everyone was welcoming. I look forward to experiencing another workshop at Hacienda Mosaica next year.

Room Tip: Each room is unique and beautifully decorated.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Calgary, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Since 2005, I have had the pleasure of attending multiple workshops at Hacienda Mosiaco.

High walls enclose the property and that means you enjoy security, and peace and quiet, while you work. The facility, filled with amazing art, operates as a bed and breakfast, with studio space set in well groomed gardens. The poolside meals are amazing, and everywhere you look, you are surrounded by inspirational art and nature.

Students attending the workshops are without fail friendly and supportive, and have varied backgrounds. There is always a lot to learn and to talk about while enjoying your class.

Oh, and did I say that your hostess (Sam Leonard) works tirelessly to ensure that everyone is comfortable and that absolutely nothing is left to chance. While enjoying this tropical paradise, you are pampered in a truly lush, restful and beautiful retreat. I could not be happier with my experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Washington, DC
Reviewed March 9, 2014

From the first step inside the doors of Hacienda Mosaico, I knew that I was about to experience an awesome vacation. The pool, artistic decor, and the lush shrubs, trees and flowers were a treat for the eyes! Sam, the proprietor, was there to greet each guest with a hug, a bottle of water, and graciousness. Everything done was impeccable: wonderful food, clean rooms, generous amenities, and a relaxing pool. Interspersed within the compound there were areas of relaxation and artistic mosaics, sculptures, and two cute little white dogs who were as gracious as their owner! And, it that wasn't enough, I spent a week doing what I love to do: create art in an outdoor studio! I look forward to another visit next year. Thank you, Sam, for a memorable vacation.

Room Tip: Each room has its own "ambiance". I liked my room, #3, because it was close to quiet, sec...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank MyDaze
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I just returned from a week at Hacienda Mosaico with 10 friends for an art retreat. Sam Leonard, the proprietor, treated us like royalty. The gardens, pool, outdoor sculpture, mosaics were gorgeous as were the rooms and huge outdoor art space. Quite literally some days we didn't leave the Hacienda except to grab a quick dinner at the lovely Noah's Cafe a block away. The breakfasts and lunches provided were fresh, healthy and tasty. The pool provided the perfect place to cool off and the afternoon margaritas were always frosty and served with a smile. Although Sam caters to art groups, this place would be fantastic for small reunions, corporate get-aways, even modest weddings. We loved it so much we booked it for TWO weeks next year. Thoughts of the Hacienda will help get me through the drizzly Seattle weather. Thanks, Sam! We love you!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank CindyPestka
Sammamish, Washington
Reviewed February 16, 2014

From the well-designed open air studio, to the lovely garden and pool to the beautifully decorated an comfortable rooms, Hacienda Mosaico is a piece of paradise in a residential neighborhood away from the hustle and bustle of PV's tourists. It's a special place for nurturing creativity through beautiful surroundings and great food. I'm already planning my return trip. I was sad to leave. Was it Mary Poppins who said, "Practically perfect in every way."

Room Tip: Mexico is noisy, but I stayed in room 2 which was very quiet. Large king size bed.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mardie R
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I'm just returned from my second stay at Hacienda Mosaico and it was just as lovely as the first. Another reviewer used the word "oasis" and that's exactly it. It is a lovely property supported by lovely staff. Sam and her "crew" are extraordinarily gracious and hospitable. Aside from all that, the food alone is worth the stay!

Room Tip: Every room is unique, with its own special decor and charm. I don't think you can go wrong.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andrea H
Encinitas, California
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I recently attended an art workshop at Hacienda Mosaico featuring Portland artist Jesse Reno, an astounding artist and teacher.
Sam, the gracious artist/owner of this amazing property, has created an oasis of art, inspiration, comfort and ease.
The grounds of Hacienda Mosaico are lush and beautiful with fabulous art of all types everywhere you look......so inspiring!! Our days began with an amazing breakfast by the pool, followed by creating art, then a fabulous lunch poolside, more art with still plenty of time to explore all that Puerta Vallarta has to offer......
Hacienda Mosaico's art workshop offerings for 2014 are diverse with something for all of us......I will be picking another one soon!! For me, it doesn't get any better than traveling to a great destination to meet, learn, and experience an artist sharing their techniques, knowledge and skills!!
Can't wait to travel to this destination again....!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo